Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Where do picky eaters come from?
1  2  Next

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 3:33 pm
When I was a child, if a friend said "yuck" to an egg, I thought she was out of her mind. That was what a picky eater was.
These days, I very rarely speak with a mother who says her kids AREN'T picky.
What's going on?

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 4:05 pm
I don't know. I have 5 kids and one of them is a very picky eater, the rest are not.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 4:16 pm
Do you serve hot dogs and fries (even thought that's besari) pizza etc every night? My kids wouldn't be picky eaters if I did that LOL.

yo'ma

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 6:55 pm
My kids aren't picky because I tell them to try it. If it's not poison and it is kosher, nothing is going to happen to them. Their problem, not all of them, is that they can like one food and another time, no, or just doesn't want it more than once a week. It's frustrating at times.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 7:33 pm
Some are born that way, some are taught to be that way, and some have some oral sensory issues.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 7:36 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Do you serve hot dogs and fries (even thought that's besari) pizza etc every night? My kids wouldn't be picky eaters if I did that LOL.

nope. I make a variety of foods. And even if I made hot dogs and fries or pizza my picky kid doesn't eat hot dogs. he often ends up eating peanut butter sandwiches.

momsprince

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 8:54 pm
I think it's hereditary. My parents were picky eaters. Most of my siblings are picky eaters including myself and my kids are extremely picky eaters.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:41 pm
I make one supper a night, either eat it or starve, sometimes more then one kid chooses to starve......

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:56 pm
my theory is: kids whose mother feeds them baby food for long, like say after they are ready to have refular food, their kids are picky eaters. This is based on my experiences. I gave dd baby food because she loved and and was getting full from it until she was abt a year. My friends that gave their children regular foods at say 8 months are much better eaters. Since dd is so used to the bland taste of baby cereal, she isnt interested in eating regular good foods.

momsprince

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:50 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
my theory is: kids whose mother feeds them baby food for long, like say after they are ready to have refular food, their kids are picky eaters. This is based on my experiences. I gave dd baby food because she loved and and was getting full from it until she was abt a year. My friends that gave their children regular foods at say 8 months are much better eaters. Since dd is so used to the bland taste of baby cereal, she isnt interested in eating regular good foods.

In my case my son was eating real food from as young as 6 months (he already had teeth at 5 months) and he's extremely picky. While my sil exclusively breastfed her son for a full year without ever giving him any food and now that she stopped nursing he eats anything put in front of him.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 5:53 am
I didn't like meat since I was a child, so I refused to eat it at age 7 or 8... and I've been vegetarian ever since. My parents never made me special foods, but they let me eat everything else, but not the meat dish they were serving. When I got a little older, I started making my own food because I didn't like what they were serving. I still hate any kind of meat.

I think picky eating comes from the parents... the first time a child does something picky (ex. doesn't like the crust on the bread) and the parents accommodate it. The child learns that they can control their parents with eating. The kid either gets special attention from parents by getting them to cook special foods, serving food a certain way *OR* the get attention because the parents fight, bribe, cajole..etc the child into eating.

In the past, parents served dinner and didn't care. If the child picks up that we actually don't care whether they eat or not (that causing food conflict will not work) then they will eat whatever's in front of them (or if they actually don't like a certain food, then they will eat everything but that food) and not make a big deal.

My SIL bribes her kids with treats to finish their dinners. If she didn't make such a big deal about them eating, then they would have no ammunition against her, but since she is emotionally invested in making sure they eat their food, they figured out how to manipulate her into giving them treats.

shevi82

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 5:57 am
I have seen with my kids that when they had low iron they didn't have a appetite.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 6:10 am
Ditto ewa jo.

Late food introducing + what you say.

John Rosemond discusses picky eaters and sensory issues in his book and I very much agree with him.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 6:52 am
I don't know where it comes from, but it drives me crazy. In theory, we did everything right. My oldest was eating solids at about 6 months, by 8 months I wasn't cooking anything special for him anymore - he ate whatever we made. Spicy food, broccoli, lettuce, chicken, onions, anything and everything. And we sat down to a family dinner almost every single night. About the time he was 11-12 months old, he started cutting food out (such as refusing to eat potato kugel the week before Pesach, and he hasn't touched it since!), and has now turned into an extremely picky eater, and is on the 2nd centile for his weight, so I can't let him go to sleep hungry on a regular basis. He is very stubborn and has a great deal of pride, and once he says no, he on principle won't back down, so if he says no to taste a dish, fighting will only lead to tears and tantrums - I tried it once, and had to physically hold him to lick the spoon, and we were all miserable (yes, it's an issue we have to work on, but I refuse to make food into that kind of power struggle again). Number 2 has allergies, which greatly limited him, and made him very wary of trying anything new in case it made him feel ill.
So I guess by the time it came to number 3, I fell into the rut of making child-friendly dinners with the same basic ingredients, instead of making varied dinners which DS1 used to eat...

e1234

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 7:17 am
I was picky and I am paid back.

I think 4 out of 5 eating kids are picky

baba

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 7:36 am
My kids arent picky at all (and we hardly eat kid food), but I had to go through quite a long, stubborn stage around the age of 1 in which they just wouldnt get more of the thing they really wanted unless the had some veggies or whatever it was they were refusing.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 7:43 am
I had (notice the past tense) a theory. I believed that EBF without using special baby foods prevented pickiness. With all my kids I fully nursed till 8-10 months (except the oldest till 6 months when I was young and foolish and wanted her onto the next stage ASAP). They got real food as soon as they could sit and hold it, and they loved the experience. I never made special baby food. That way they got to try different tastes and I wasn't pressurized because I knew they were getting however much breastmilk they wanted.

Anyway, this all worked until my youngest. He is not otherwise spoilt, but he is a super picky eater. He doesn't like almost anything (except bread) and I don't really know what he survives on.

So there goes my theory (though I do still believe in it for most kids).

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 9:25 am
flowerpower wrote:
Some are born that way, some are taught to be that way, and some have some oral sensory issues.
B I N G O

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 9:27 am
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
My kids were EBF, no bottles besides for water and when they started eating, they ate what I prepared. No jars. I prepared veggies, fruit, grains, meat, poultry - they all ate beautifully until around age 2 or 3.

zigi

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 11:24 am
Tamiri wrote:

lol! true!

some of my kids are picky, one won't eat ground meat etc. but they will try different foods. when they were babies I would give them the same food that I ate. like they will eat cholent etc. then they will go through a stage where they don't like it at home but will eat it in shul. they also got pickier after going to preschool and learning about ketchup sandwiches.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics