Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"NYC Residents and Filtering the Water"

Blossom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 12:19 am
Is this still in effect?
I am confused about this whole topic in general and could use some clarifications.
Last year or whenever this topic came about I saw many rulings on this subject but can't remember what was said and by whom.

Also a question: May I cook let's- say soup -with unfiltered water?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 7:34 am
Well..........the filter ban was never lifted. Not everyone says you must do it, however.

If you don;'t have a filter for your cooking water, use a shmattah.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 8:20 am
Quote:
If you don't have a filter for your cooking water, use a shmattah.

some rabbonim say use a shmattah & some say it's better not to use anything than use a shmattah since then u see all the 'bugs' & once u see it, it's a problem. You have to ask your rav, because there are a bunch of differering opinions. The two psaks I know: R' Hillel David says u need a filter & R' Leibel Katz says you don't.
You can also purchase a little filter that attaches to yor faucet for around $5/$10 & u clean it out (at least) once a week.

Blossom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 10:30 am
I have filtered my water since the ruling, to be on the safer side. We tried a few and weren't very satisfied with them so we took them off and before we put on a different one I wanted to try and get more information on this topic and if it is still in effect.
I guess to be on the safer side we'll resume the filtering. Thanks for your answeres.

LisaS

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 10:45 am
I recommend EZ filter. It is easy and you can even buy it online. It should be between $15 and $20.

Imhappy!

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 10:56 am
LisaS wrote:
I recommend EZ filter. It is easy and you can even buy it online. It should be between $15 and $20.

same here. you have to replace the stuffing every so often depending on how much water u use. and clean it with a q-tip .
scary to see how dirty our water is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen