Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Israeli Doctors Treating Terrorists
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you think Israeli doctors should treat terrorists?
yes  
 29%  [ 14 ]
no  
 70%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 48

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:40 am
I get majorly annoyed when I read that an Israeli doctor treated a terrorist, sometimes saving their life. If a person tries to kill you (G-d forbid), the halacha says, kill him first!

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:48 am
that's a real tough one.
first instinct reaction would be "no"! but Hashem is the judge, and if a terrorist's life is saved, then it probably is so he will be able to face the punishment for his action, which no doubt will be given to him.
I don't envy the doctors being faced with these dilemma's....

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 12:01 pm
Well then, Pnina, maybe the doctors should do nothing and let Hashem save the terrorist's life, if He wants to.

rydys

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 12:42 pm
The halacha is actually not to kill him-only to incapacitate so that he can no longer harm you. You are only allowed to kill him if that is the only way to incapacitate him. As a doctor, I would have a hard time treating a terrorist, but hope that I would do it anyway. It is not my place to decide who should live and who should die.

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 1:02 pm
[quote="rydys"] As a doctor, I would have a hard time treating a terrorist, but hope that I would do it anyway. It is not my place to decide who should live and who should die.[/quote]

exactly my point

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 1:23 pm
Quote:
You are only allowed to kill him if that is the only way to incapacitate him.

our experience is, let them live, let them free, and they try to kill us again

Quote:
As a doctor, I would have a hard time treating a terrorist, but hope that I would do it anyway

it's good you're not a soldier!

Quote:
It is not my place to decide who should live and who should die.

are you opposed to the IDF?

zkalan

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 1:33 pm
I think doctors face a dilemma between saving a life of a terrorist, who will most probably kill you right after, and the Hippocratic oath they give.

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 2:09 pm
that's a dilemma?

the oath vs. Jewish lives?

rydys

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 3:27 pm
how about a drunk driver? statistics show that most drunk drivers are repeat offenders. If a drunk driver kills someone and needs medical care, should I not treat him? after all, if I treat him and he gets better, he is likely to get drunk and drive again and may kill someone again.

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 3:33 pm
so you're comparing a drunk driver, who has no interest in killing anybody (on the contrary) with our sworn enemies?

and maybe if drunk drivers who killed someone were killed, there would be fewer drunk drivers on the roads

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 6:24 am
[quote="Motek"]so you're comparing a drunk driver, who has no interest in killing anybody (on the contrary) with our sworn enemies?"

a drunk driver doesn't have the best interest of other people at heart, the minute he decides to drive anyway!!!!

no one can be compared to our sworn enemies.

and maybe if drunk drivers who killed someone were killed, there would be fewer drunk drivers on the roads[/quote]

that's a very harsh way of putting things. during my many years of living in israel, and witnessing many horrible stories of terror, and the heartwrenching dilemma's doctors are faced with - I am sorry, it's not a black and white situation, although it's easier to see it like that.
I don't think that the oath doctors take should be taken lightly at all.

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 5:00 pm
harsh yes, tell that to people who lost loved ones to drunken drivers*

* who were Hashem's shliach, true, but nevertheless, we are obligated to get rid of public menaces

Rivka

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 6:51 pm
Drunk drivers do not get given a death sentence. Not in this country anyway. I am glad there is no death sentence. IDF and Doctor are two different job cattegories. One of them is to defend and if to defend you need to kill, that is what you have to do and that is the given. A Doctors job is to save lives.
So I don't think they can decide to kill off patients. I think that is called murder. The Dr is not defending himself against the terrorist, so he cannot kill him. The terrorists will be put in prison and probably tortured.
Plenty drunk drivers die in crashes caused by their own drunkeness, however, that hasn't decreased the number of drink drivers. Everyday someone learns to drive, so everyday there is a potential drink driver.
Everyday a palestinian is born, everyday a potential terrorist. I don't see what will be gained by a Dr killing off a patient, no matter how bad. They don't even kill those who have murdered loads of people in this country.
If you believe in Hashem, then you will know they will get what they deserve and it'll be worse than the Dr killing them.

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 6:57 pm
nobody said the doctors should kill the patients (I think terrorists should be killed and not brought to the hospital ...)

Quote:
The terrorists will be put in prison and probably tortured.

if you read the news you'll discover that while in prison they plan future attacks and then they're freed by Israel - 500 terrorists were freed last week

rydys

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 8:20 pm
OK, motek, now you've identified the problem--a judicial system that allows terrorists to network while in prison and then frees them. Therefore, we need to work to fix the judicial system so we can effectively incapacitate them, not kill them

Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 6:11 am
I am with you on that, rydys

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 4:40 pm
so you think that Eichmann and the others (Nurnberg Trials) shouldn't have been executed?

rydys

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 5:05 pm
Of course they should have been. But there is a big difference bet. a court of law having a fair trial and sentencing a convicted criminal to death and a doctor allowing a person to die bec. he is suspected of being a terrorist. I say suspected bec. until the person is tried, we do not know for sure. Maybe it was another arab who happened to be next to the terrorist? maybe he was trying to stop him? I don't know the story and am not qualified to judge.

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 5:11 pm
so knowing the legal system in Israel, and knowing that as of now, they release terrorists from jail, and knowing that released terrorists have tried yet again to kill Jews, you still think that a doctor ought to treat a terrorist (whom witnesses saw attempting to kill Jews)?

if yes, why?

Tefila

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 6:13 pm
Quote:
if yes, why?

Thats why it's not that easy even halachically for Docters, and that is why a Dr would never be a soilder or vise versa.

A docters job is to heal not to kill .

Otherwise with no juridiscial system in place (even though we question even that) it will be more chaotic then it is now!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics