Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How unhealthy is it to lick the bowl after baking?
1  2  Next

do you let your kids lick the bowl?
Never, its not healthy  
 9%  [ 6 ]
Sometimes  
 19%  [ 13 ]
Usually, it's 1/2 the baking fun!  
 71%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 66

SingALong

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 4:53 pm
when baking my kids beg me to let them lick the bowl/mixer thing/spoon whatever. I used to say no since I heard raw eggs are bad for you. however, recently they really want to and I'm wondering if the total amount of batter they eat is just a spoonful, and there is so little raw eggs in it, is it really that unhealthy?

(I once got sick from eating raw knaidle mix, so I know it can happen...)

so do you ever let your kids lick the bowl/bakign stuff with raw batter?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 4:54 pm
I never did growing up, and neither did my kids.

kitov

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 4:57 pm
I don't know about health issues, but my policy is, batter has no calories.

I just love cake/cream batter.

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 5:00 pm
It depends which bowl they're lickin'! Rolling Eyes

I think licking the batter bowl is a memory-making part of childhood (but I wouldn't let my DGC do it because I think their moms may not approve.)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 5:33 pm
...but if my children lick the bowl, there is less for me to lick :-(

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 5:38 pm
I think it's unhealthy bc it was a horrible habit my mother got me on--even though she only gave us the ever little bit--, and now it's such an avodah for me not to lick the bowl in its entirety now that I'm a grown up andmake my own rules...and quite frankly, the calories are my undoing and not healthy in my case.

I just don't think it's a habit worth starting, and taht's coming from someone who LOVES licking batter. Call me a self-hating batter licker...

crush

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 5:42 pm
kitov wrote:
I don't know about health issues, but my policy is, batter has no calories.

LOL Thumbs Up

chatz

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 5:44 pm
Licking the bowl is a fave childhood memory for me, but I wouldn't let my kids do it if there's raw eggs in the batter. It's not so much as how many eggs but rather that the risk of salmonella poisoning is not worth it. If there's no eggs, gezunter heit - just leave some for me LOL (especially since no egg batter tends to be chocolate stuff..mmmm...)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:00 pm
Quote:
I think licking the batter bowl is a memory-making part of childhood (but I wouldn't let my DGC do it because I think their moms may not approve.)

Ummm...DGC #4 LOves to lick the spatula & I let her so feel free!

- DD #1

naomib1112

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:06 pm
I come from a medical family (father, mother z"l, sister, brother-in-law) and I have heard every ER and hospital story there is. What I haven't heard so far: "It was awful! I tried to save her but she'd licked the bowl..."

On that basis, I always let my guys lick!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:09 pm
naomib1112 wrote:
I come from a medical family (father, mother z"l, sister, brother-in-law) and I have heard every ER and hospital story there is. What I haven't heard so far: "It was awful! I tried to save her but she'd licked the bowl..."

lol

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:22 pm
Where's the poll option for "heck no, if I let the kids eat it what would be left for me?!"

On a serious note, the health concern in question I believe is the salmonella bacteria. So it doesn't really make much difference how much or little egg is eaten, if you get the germ and can't fight it... R"L.

I usually do it, though. It's a tough habit to break from childhood, once you know how yummy it is... But I do try to be fast - the eggs go straight from the fridge, into the batter, into the oven and lick the bowl. Less time for germs to breed. If for some reason the eggs have been sitting out or open for a while I skip that bowl. And I didn't do it at all while pregnant.

mama-star

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:47 pm
I'm terrible. I always let them lick. and me too.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:50 pm
It's not unhealthy at all! There's been many studies to prove how essential it is to one's cognitive function, palate development, and emotional intelligence not to mention it's full of antioxidants especially when it's chocolate batter or there's some leftover chocolate chips. Eat away! LOL LOL

mama-star

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:55 pm
naomib1112 wrote:

by the way I just love this ... lol ....

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Ummm...DGC #4 LOves to lick the spatula & I let her so feel free!

- DD #1

OK, send them over on baking day! One gets the bowl, one gets the beater, one gets the spatula, & one gets a spoon to dig in. Bubby gets to shep nachas from happy DGC!

gem

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:07 pm
If your eggs are pasteurized, it's fine to eat batter. The risk of raw eggs is salmonella. The pasteurization process eliminates this risk-- it kills salmonella bacteria and viruses like avian (bird) flu.

I had salmonella poisoning several years ago after eating cookie dough ice cream that had raw eggs-- I was miserably sick for many days and have been really obsessive about the dangers of raw eggs ever since then (washing my hands any time I crack an egg, wiping the counter with lysol after making something with egg, scrubbing any pots and pans that have touched raw egg...). I was thrilled when I learned about pasteurized eggs! Now they're the only kind in my kitchen.

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:12 pm
I discussed raw eggs with my doctor (I make my own mayo at Pesach using raw eggs.) He said because of all the FDA precautions & checks in place, it's not a problem. Just sayin'. Everyone should follow her own instincts.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:22 pm
I remember when I was a kid, when my mother would bake, she would scrape the bowl out so well with a spatula that there was hardly anyting left to lick. I was always so upset, that I promised I would never do that to my kids! Twisted Evil And I dont, I specially leave over some batter to lick.

baba

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 4:06 am
I always wonder if the people who are careful with this also dont eat home made chocolate mouse, ice cream or fondant which is usually made with raw eggs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics