Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Attn Seraph: Really? Spoiled Milk Pancakes????
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:43 am
In this week's edition of "Whisk", the "AmiLiving" recipe section, Seraph has a recipe for pancakes calling for spoiled milk!
Seraph, I had to chuckle... there's no taking out the "Extreme frugality" from you, even in your Ami recipes. I am curious if anyone will actually risk making pancakes out of spoiled milk.
I enjoyed your shopping column.
(Seraph I'm not trying to poke fun at you, I hope youre not insulted. You know how I feel about extreme frugality Smile. )

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:48 am
Spoiled milk isn't spoiled milk. It's leben. A very known rebbetzin here with a HUGE gemach sat me down before I was married and told me not to let a n y t h I n g go to waste. She told me she makes pancakes with bits of leftover "aged" cheese, white cheese, milk etc. I was :puke but she was right: it's a sin to waste and you can almost always turn something like spoiled milk and cheese into something else. I don't.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:01 am
Yes, absolutely! They taste better than regular pancakes. :-D
Didn't realize it was in this week's Ami. :-D
Seriously. Try it. It's worth it!

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:47 am
I think a better word would be sour not spoiled. Milk that has gone moldy should be tossed.
Sour milk pancakes are fairly normal.

I use sour milk for a milk bath. Milk's great for the skin and I don't feel as if I'm wasting it so much.

STovah

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:51 am
My babysitter did this last week - she makes blintzes/pancakes for my kids every week or so, and this last time, she told me she used my spoiled milk. The kids seem to have enjoyed it just fine, and no one came down with any ailment from it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be okay, lots of people let milk sit to make cheese/leben/yogurt. Though I will add that my milk usually doesn't go bad since my kids go through it so quickly.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:07 am
Am I honestly the only other pereson besides Seraph that has heard of sour milk pancakes? Potato (and other vegetable peels) soup? You all don't do this?

Anyway, more sour milk ideas. I'm just not into baking...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/searc......html

grin

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:29 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Am I honestly the only other pereson besides Seraph that has heard of sour milk pancakes? Potato (and other vegetable peels) soup? You all don't do this?

Anyway, more sour milk ideas. I'm just not into baking...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/searc......html
I do all this - I've tossed all sorts of leftovers into pancakes - I thought I was the only one!

egam

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
In this week's edition of "Whisk", the "AmiLiving" recipe section, Seraph has a recipe for pancakes calling for spoiled milk!
Seraph, I had to chuckle... there's no taking out the "Extreme frugality" from you, even in your Ami recipes. I am curious if anyone will actually risk making pancakes out of spoiled milk.
(Seraph I'm not trying to poke fun at you, I hope youre not insulted. You know how I feel about extreme frugality Smile. )

Your surprise comes from being an American. In America when milk spoils it becomes stinky and bitter and has to be tossed out. Back in my old country, and apparently in Israel as well, milk didn't have all the preservatives. It had much shorter shelf live, but it didn't go bad, it became sour. You could eat it as is or make many things with it. Pancakes, pot cheese, cold summer soup. I've never even heard of pancakes made from milk until I moved to America.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:13 pm
I would love to be a fly on the wall or hack into the letters. Most people must have been expecting the normal "cut out your Starbucks twice a week" and "have brown bag your lunch day" and "did you know the store brands taste as good as not better than generic" pap.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:16 pm
egam, milk in the US and milk in Israel are homogenized and pasteurized. They spoil, not sour, and you don't want to be drinking that raw- it can make you sick. But once you cook them in pancakes or anything, the bacterias get killed and its fine to eat.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I would love to be a fly on the wall or hack into the letters. Most people must have been expecting the normal "cut out your Starbucks twice a week" and "have brown bag your lunch day" and "did you know the store brands taste as good as not better than generic" pap.
Lol. And THAT is what makes Ami different. They chose me. :-D

HindaRochel

egam wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Your surprise comes from being an American. In America when milk spoils it becomes stinky and bitter and has to be tossed out. Back in my old country, and apparently in Israel as well, milk didn't have all the preservatives. It had much shorter shelf live, but it didn't go bad, it became sour. You could eat it as is or make many things with it. Pancakes, pot cheese, cold summer soup. I've never even heard of pancakes made from milk until I moved to America.

Spoiled/sour milk pancakes are fairly common in the states as well. It hasn't anything to do with preservatives... milk goes sour in the states as well. It curdles in coffee. Same as in the States.

punktfarkert

egam wrote:
Your surprise comes from being an American.

Yes, besides for issues with preservatives, Americans are much more nervous about food spoilage. In other countries, eggs, for example, are not commonly refrigerated at all - in the grocery store and at home.

cm

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:20 pm
egam wrote:

There are no preservatives in milk in the US.

For everyone who is surprised at using spoiled or sour milk in pancakes - what do you think buttermilk is? Buttermilk pancakes, waffles and biscuits are made with soured milk plus baking soda, while pancakes, muffins, etc with fresh milk are made with baking powder, which has a little acid added to it already. Basic food science.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:24 pm
Took the words out of my mouth. Buttermilk. Just what we always used for pancakes.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:26 pm
egam wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Aha! It's also much more digestible and really considered very good for you.

imaima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:26 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Many people have been doing it for ages. Spoiled does not mean unedible, it means sour

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:34 pm
Sour milk is not unhealthy but most people find it unpalatable. Raw milk that spoils is worse than pasteurized milk that spoils.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/.....85123

http://www.scientistlive.com/E.....1305/

UDDER nonsense that raw milk is somehow better for you. Both can spoil, but pasteurization kills the bacteria. Raw milk will spoil.

mommalah

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:43 pm
Don't forget kefir. A deliberately soured drink. And incredibly healthy.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:09 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Sour milk is not unhealthy but most people find it unpalatable. Raw milk that spoils is worse than pasteurized milk that spoils.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/.....85123

http://www.scientistlive.com/E.....1305/

UDDER nonsense that raw milk is somehow better for you. Both can spoil, but pasteurization kills the bacteria. Raw milk will spoil.
Sorry, HindaRochel, on this I'll have to say you're wrong. Raw milk contains probiotics that stops bad bacteria from coming in. Pasteurization kills these probiotics, leaving milk able to spoil. Otherwise it just turns into clabber and or sour cream...
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals