Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergy Shots

momsprince

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 7:40 pm
Has anyone heard of allergy shots? I was told to try it to cure my sons allergies. Did anyone here try it? Did it help?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 7:43 pm
I had it when I was a girl its pain in tha.....
after a year I stopped it and when to a donno how hes called took it out of me and bh no more suffering for the past 12 years

Ima'la

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 7:46 pm
I assume you mean for seasonal/enviromental allergies (not food allergies). Worked wonders for DH, my grandmother, sister...

Schlepping to the doctor so frequently can be a pain, but after a while you can come less frequently. Also, the injections can burn (not like a regular immunization). But definitely worth it for the improvement in quality of life!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 7:47 pm
I tried it a few years ago.
If you take the shots religiously for 3 years, you can really really alleviate a lot of the allergies. I met many woman in the doctor's office who were at that point, and they found it to really helped.
I stuck it out for a year, then got married and pregnant, never got around to asking the doc if I could continue the shots while pregnant... the $20 co-pays were adding up... and just stopped going.
After I gave birth, I tried it again, (I had to start all over again, from the beginning) but again, it was too hard to go each week and wait in the waiting room with a squirming baby.
I tried one more time when my daughter was a little older... I have given up Sad
I wish I would have done this a a youngster, and gotten in my 3 consecutive years.
Btw, if the doc knows the premise point on your arm to inject you, it does not hurt. (This coming from someone who HATES shots)
Hatzlacha!

Ima'la

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 7:50 pm
I saw improvement in DH after only half a year (though more improvement as more time passed and he continued the shots).

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 8:04 pm
Oh btw, I have year round allergies, so it would take me longer to get relief than someone with seasonal allergies.

momsprince

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 8:17 pm
Ds is 20 months old.
Will it be too painful for him? btw it's for food allergies. He is severely allergic to many foods and underweight.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 8:43 pm
If you're in Brooklyn, Dr. Friedman in Boro Park, though very old fashioned, is very gentle. He knows where to inject the shot so that it doesn't hurt too much.
B'Hatzlacha! I hope your son has a Refuah Shelaima, and that he begins to gain weight.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 12:36 am
A 20 month old has a good chance of outgrowing a lot of it without subjecting him to shots every week.

I have food allergies, and two kids with pretty severe FA, and a third that has seasonal allergies, I cannot imagine subjecting them to shots every week for 3 years.

Try to wait it out, I know its hard (BTDT) But he might be fine minus all the pain in 3 years without the shots.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 10:06 pm
I've been getting shots for over two years already and it hasn't helped an iota. A month ago I started taking stinging nettle tincture and all my symptoms were gone within three weeks. The doctors think they're my best friends though so I don't know how to stop going..... Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:57 am
Merrymom wrote:
I've been getting shots for over two years already and it hasn't helped an iota. A month ago I started taking stinging nettle tincture and all my symptoms were gone within three weeks. The doctors think they're my best friends though so I don't know how to stop going..... Smile

What is stinging nettle tincure? Also, what type of allergies do you have? I'm wondering if this can help me too.

allergypro

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:54 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I'm bumping it up in the hope of getting more replies. My 5 year old's allergist just recomended starting on allergy shots. She has environmental allergies that are pretty much year round. Both her allergist and pediatrician feel that her chances of outgrowing it at this point are very slim. Being that it is a very big comitment, I was just wondering if anyone has reached the endpoint and no longer has allergies. My dr. told me it will take about 3-4 years, and there's an 80% success rate. Any thoughts?

allergypro

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 10:07 pm
Nobody????????? shock

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 10:27 pm
I went for allergy shots as a teenager. I got extremely sick after each weekly shot, even though they kept lowering my dose. Finally after 4-5 times, and me still getting so sick that I would spend 24 hours in bed, and the doctor saying she couldn't lower my dose any more then she already had, I quit. It was much less annoying to live with the allergies.

But I do know that many people have been helped this way. Different people react differently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics