Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake
1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:29 pm
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup Parve milk (soy milk, rice milk, almond milk... non-dairy creamer works too)
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9") round baking pans. [Or 1 (9x13) pan.]
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on by hand, or on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Frost and layer the two round cakes. [Or just frost the one cake.]

'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups Confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup Parve milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt margarine. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and Parve milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:52 pm
I use this recipe all the time and always get compliments for it. Always.

I make it parve or milchig.

When I make it milchig I am forced to buy extra milk to drink while having the cake Wink

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:14 pm
I've also made it many times.
The frosting recipe is my "go to" pareve Chocolate frosting recipe!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:01 pm
Also my favorite chocolate cake recipe!

When I make it, I substitute the oil with apple sauce, half the flour with white whole wheat, and half splenda for the sugar, and it tastes great!

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:16 pm
This is also the recipe called "ultimate chocolate cake" in the kosher palette. Been using it for years from the hershey can, and recognized it when I went thru the cookbook.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 5:45 am
Btw, I almost never put the frosting/icing on it.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 5:53 am
Also love this recipe

loveshoes

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:34 am
Can this recipe be made in a bundt pan?

loveshoes

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:40 am
loveshoes wrote:
Can this recipe be made in a bundt pan?

I just checked the Kosher Palatte and said yes.

newmother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:07 am
After seeing this recipe last night I decided to make it as a surprise for my dh when he comes in today. I
made the cake and I just realized I don't have enough pareve milk for the frosting (I have about 1/2 the amount called for) Can I substitute the rest with water or should I just make a different frosting?

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:20 am
I googled loking for a cake I could make in a processor instead of mixer, and a black magic cake came up. Loking at the recipe here, it is the same with a few small changes. Instead of the milk, it calls for sour cream. I used tofutti cream cheese once. And the next time with tofutti sour cream. Came out yum both times. And I make it in a bundt pan only.

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 11:59 am
newmother wrote:
After seeing this recipe last night I decided to make it as a surprise for my dh when he comes in today. I
made the cake and I just realized I don't have enough pareve milk for the frosting (I have about 1/2 the amount called for) Can I substitute the rest with water or should I just make a different frosting?

water is fine

newmother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 12:04 pm
shanie5 wrote:
newmother wrote:

water is fine

thanks!

SV

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 2:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup Parve milk (soy milk, rice milk, almond milk... non-dairy creamer works too)
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9") round baking pans. [Or 1 (9x13) pan.]
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on by hand, or on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

2/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup Parve milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt margarine. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and Parve milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

This might be a totally stupid question, but can I use oil instead of margarine in the frosting recipe? (can you tell I never bake? embarrassed )

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 3:07 pm
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

2/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup Parve milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

This might be a totally stupid question, but can I use oil instead of margarine in the frosting recipe? (can you tell I never bake? embarrassed )
I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.
Let me know how it comes out. (I haven't made the frosting on this cake in a while. I don't really use marg anymore.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 10:42 am
[quote="SV"]
ra_mom wrote:

I think that most frostings require the stiff fat. Not that there aren't those that don't - I have a ganache recipe that has doesn't, and will follow, but you might not want to risk the mess and ingredients. If you do try it, it will likely be more pourable than spreadable.
Here goes:
9 Tbsp. each of oil, cocoa, milk sub + 3 c. confectioners sugar.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 10:56 am
This cake is sooooo good!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 1:55 pm
[quote="PinkFridge"]
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I think that most frostings require the stiff fat. Not that there aren't those that don't - I have a ganache recipe that has doesn't, and will follow, but you might not want to risk the mess and ingredients. If you do try it, it will likely be more pourable than spreadable.
Here goes:
I have a chocolate frosting recipe from Dining In that calls for oil, and I plan on trying it on this cake to see if it comes out as good as the above recipe.

SV, I can find the recipe for you if you'd like.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 1:56 pm
Ruchel wrote:
This cake is sooooo good!
Isn't it? Smile It's from the back of the cocoa container.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 4:49 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]
PinkFridge wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Here goes:
I have a chocolate frosting recipe from Dining In that calls for oil, and I plan on trying it on this cake to see if it comes out as good as the above recipe.

SV, I can find the recipe for you if you'd like.

I'd also love another oil-based recipe. I'm not as keen to do the kind of subbing I would in the baked item itself; I think it would be safest to follow a tnt recipe, but maybe the foodies here can give some rules of thumb.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins