Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 5:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'd also love another oil-based recipe. I'm not as keen to do the kind of subbing I would in the baked item itself; I think it would be safest to follow a tnt recipe, but maybe the foodies here can give some rules of thumb.

(from the cream-filled fudge cupcake recipe)

Chocolate Frosting:
8 Tbsp cocoa
10 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
8 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp oil

Place alll ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir vigorously until well combined and smooth, adding water if necessary to create a thick, creamy frosting.
(If frosting becomes too watery, you can slowly add additional confectioner's sugar.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
I'd also love another oil-based recipe. I'm not as keen to do the kind of subbing I would in the baked item itself; I think it would be safest to follow a tnt recipe, but maybe the foodies here can give some rules of thumb.

(from the cream-filled fudge cupcake recipe)

Chocolate Frosting:
8 Tbsp cocoa
10 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
8 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp oil

Place alll ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir vigorously until well combined and smooth, adding water if necessary to create a thick, creamy frosting.
(If frosting becomes too watery, you can slowly add additional confectioner's sugar.)

Thanks!

lshap

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:48 pm
I've just made this cake; its baking as I type. The thing is, even after 45 minutes, at 160 c, the middle is still wet.

Any ideas as to why this might be?

thanks

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 4:34 pm
lshap wrote:
I've just made this cake; its baking as I type. The thing is, even after 45 minutes, at 160 c, the middle is still wet.

thanks

I'm probably too late to help, but when you make it again, try putting a "crown" around the pan: cut a sheet of foil just a bit larger than the pan, fold in quarters and cut out a square or circle in the middle, leaving a generous perimeter and put on top of the pan before baking. If the sides cook way faster than the middle this may allow you to keep it in long enough for the middle to catch up.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 6:34 pm
lshap wrote:

thanks
Every oven is slightly different. (And some don't cook evenly, like my old one.)
Insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the pick doesn't come out clean, allow the cake to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Then test again with a clean toothpick.
Repeat until ready.

bnzn2000

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 9:25 pm
this is the best brownie cake!!!! I'm always making this brownie and always getting loads of compliments.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:20 pm
Just made this for ds aufruf-but with white icing per his request. Its always a winner.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:43 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Just made this for ds aufruf-but with white icing per his request. Its always a winner.
Mazel Tov!
If your white icing is made with oil, can you share the recipe?

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 11:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
shanie5 wrote:
Mazel Tov!
If your white icing is made with oil, can you share the recipe?

nope-used margerine. someday I may experiment when I have time. not in the foreseeable future though.

suzyq

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 11:20 am
I just made this with mint frosting - looks amazing. Thanks!

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 1:47 pm
lshap wrote:

thanks

You should have been baking it at 180°, not 160°, unless you were using a convection oven.

okeydocke

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 10:59 pm
Hi I want to make this yummy browni recepie for Shabbos Rosh Chodesh, I have some remekins,
had any 1 tried to bake this recepie in remekin individual cups? I personally think it would be perfect with scoop of ice cream on top, im planning to kep it warm for fri nite on hot plate.
so my question is had any 1 tried this before?

lollygirl

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 8:52 am
ra_mom, thanks for posting! I just popped it into the oven Smile
My question is, I wanted to make a glaze (something runny, not frosting) but I am all out of chocolate chips/chocolate! Anything else you know of? (something like this picture http://www.ukrainians.ca/image.....e.jpg)

optimist

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 9:07 am
I make this recipe all the time. A quick, easy WINNER! I often make it as cupcakes and they freeze perfectly. I just pop one out when someone comes over.

As a frosting, I put a handful or two of paskez chocolate chips on top as soon as it comes out of the oven. After a few minutes, they melt and I spread it out over the cake. YUM! The cake stays soooo moist!

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 9:19 am
This is the only chocolate cake I make. I always double it so I have one for the freezer. It's so moist it doesn't need a frosting. (IMO)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 9:48 am
lollygirl wrote:
ra_mom, thanks for posting! I just popped it into the oven Smile
My question is, I wanted to make a glaze (something runny, not frosting) but I am all out of chocolate chips/chocolate! Anything else you know of? (something like this picture http://www.ukrainians.ca/image.....e.jpg)

Do you have cocoa? I've posted this before.
9 TBSP each of cocoa, oil, milk sub
3 c. powdered sugar.

lollygirl

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 10:15 am
Thanks Pink...already dusted it with powdered sugar because I had to give it away for Shabbos.

I'll try it next time! Smile

culinaryk

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 1:20 am
My SIL puts a maple syrup frosting on top and she says it is absolutely divine!

Nikki

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 1:30 am
If the cake is not cooking evenly it's because you are using a disposable pan. Try cooking it in a regular baking pan and see if you have the same problem. Disposable pans are not meant for baking.

helena

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 11:40 am
ra_mom wrote:
Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup Parve milk (soy milk, rice milk, almond milk... non-dairy creamer works too)
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9") round baking pans. [Or 1 (9x13) pan.]
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on by hand, or on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Frost and layer the two round cakes. [Or just frost the one cake.]

'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups Confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup Parve milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt margarine. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and Parve milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Do I just have to mix oil with flour and smear on the pan?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins