Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 11:56 am
You spray or smear the pan with oil. Then you sprinkle a little flour over the pan and knock out the excess.

sleepwalking

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:21 pm
can I use orange/apple juice instead of the milk?

shanie5

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 11:18 pm
yes

sleepwalking

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:16 am
shanie5 wrote:
yes

Thanks!!!!

But I think I will use the milk it probably adds to it a good taste!!

est

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 8:19 pm
does this cake taste different if you use water or juice or soymilk? if yes, which one do you think tastes best?

Happy18

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 8:23 pm
I've used soy milk, never tried anything else but it comes out great each time.

concernedmom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 8:35 pm
Is there a/t I can subsitute the milk for? Or is it the milk that makes it so delicious??

smoms

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 8:44 pm
concernedmom wrote:
Is there a/t I can subsitute the milk for? Or is it the milk that makes it so delicious??

The cake is delicious even when made with only water. I use orange juice all the time. I actually prefer the orange juice over the pareve milk.

SS6099

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 9:29 pm
I use water as well instead of milk. It is sooooo delicious and moist.
You could use soymilk, coffee creamer, and even a dessert whip, but that will make it somewhat richer (which shouldn't be a problem, lol!)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:39 pm
can it be frozen with the frosting?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:23 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
If you want to freeze w frosting, then freeze uncovered, and only wrap it up after a few hours (once it hardens).
To defrost, uncover as soon as you take it out of the freezer and defrost that way.
(Or just store it in a bakery box in the freezer so that the wrapping does not stick to the frosting.)

Annie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:33 pm
am I the only one who puts whip on top of this cake instead of frosting? It's my go-to easy recipe. My 12 yr old dd makes it too. Done the bundt pan as well. Done powdered sugar too - always prettier if through a sifter or doily. You can melt choc. chips and just dilute with a little water and a little oil for frosting as well, but it will harden a bit on the cake.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 10:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
If you want to freeze w frosting, then freeze uncovered, and only wrap it up after a few hours (once it hardens).
To defrost, uncover as soon as you take it out of the freezer and defrost that way.
(Or just store it in a bakery box in the freezer so that the wrapping does not stick to the frosting.)

I'll try that, thanks!

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 11:59 am
one of my favorite cakes, pre gluten free... enjoy!

gp2.0

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 9:52 pm
Well, I tried making this cake...TWICE. It came out BAD.

The batter tasted very off, bitter/salty/FIZZY.

People's reactions to the cake varied from "It tastes fine to me" to "It has an aftertaste" to "It's really bad."

The only ingredients I changed were a cup of splenda in the cake and orange juice instead of milk. What went wrong???

September June

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:23 pm
Don't use Splenda. It leaves an aftertaste.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:27 pm
Thanks. I will try it one week... I'm always looking for simple cakes for shabbos.

Happy18

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:30 pm
Splenda never tastes right in baked goods. Actually I dont think it ever tastes right.

eytse

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 11:14 pm
didn't read through everything, but I also make this cake all the time... when I make it parve, I sub the milk with water, minus a tablespoon, and one additional tablespoon of oil.

I omit the frosting and dust with confectioners sugar (especially good for cupcakes), or, I make an AWESOME parve frosting with half margerine (not melted) and half tofutti cream cheese. people CANNOT BELIEVE that the frosting is parve.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 10:18 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Well, I tried making this cake...TWICE. It came out BAD.

The batter tasted very off, bitter/salty/FIZZY.

People's reactions to the cake varied from "It tastes fine to me" to "It has an aftertaste" to "It's really bad."

The only ingredients I changed were a cup of splenda in the cake and orange juice instead of milk. What went wrong???

You can't change ingredients and then claim it came out BAD. First make it with the ingredients called for (use almond/soy/rice milk or even coffee rich to keep it pareve) and see how it comes out. Then if you want, try substituting ingredients, BUT don't expect it to come out like the original (which is great).
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins