Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Romeo and Juliet in Yiddish
1  2  Next

greatfulmom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 6:36 pm
I don't watch movies. But I just heard about this fild starring heimishe rebels:

The main actress, Juliet is my old friend: Melissa Weisz / Malky Weisz

If anyone has any info. whatsoever on this, please respond here. I am itching to reach her via email, and drop her a line, thanks.

I think this film is going to create a huge chilull Hashem, even though I have no inkling as to what the story line is.

havefaith

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:02 pm
So you're gonna drop a line and you think she will listen? I know it hurts to have friends like that but please..

Happy18

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:34 pm
What exactly would be the purpose of filming Romeo and Juliet in Yiddish be? Its not like there's a large group of Yiddish speakers who would watch this specific film.
Interesting project.

greatfulmom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:28 pm
havefaith wrote:
So you're gonna drop a line and you think she will listen? I know it hurts to have friends like that but please..

why do you think I was going to drop a negative line? I am going to write a friendly hello, actually. Do you mind?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:31 pm
greatfulmom wrote:
I don't watch movies. But I just heard about this fild starring heimishe rebels:

The main actress, Juliet is my old friend: Melissa Weisz / Malky Weisz

If anyone has any info. whatsoever on this, please respond here. I am itching to reach her via email, and drop her a line, thanks.

I think this film is going to create a huge chilull Hashem, even though I have no inkling as to what the story line is.

Probably the original, but with more oys than thous.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:52 pm
who exactly is the audience for this supposed to be? the chassidish community is the only one that still actively s[peaks yiddish and teaches it to their children. the secular jews would watch the english version. whats the big idea?

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:03 pm
It's not the actual play Romeo and Juliet in Yiddish, it's a play titled "Romeo and Juliet in Yiddish" with a different plot.

see here: http://www.jffb.de/filme2010_r.....1.jpg

I assume that's what the OP is talking about.

It looks interesting.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:07 pm
Aw, that looks nice.

I love stories where people are transformed by reading the classics.

superjew

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:08 pm
what IS the plot? I dont get it...

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:10 pm
superjew wrote:
what IS the plot? I dont get it...

click on the link

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:40 pm
actually it looks aweful. the acting looks terrible, and the plot seems weird to say the least and why does every movie about frum people talk all about kabbalah. is it so hard to find out that the average jew-boy learns gemara, NOT kabbalah?

Happy18

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:20 pm
Very strange. I still dont understand why anyone would want to do something like this. Then again, I don't understand many things.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:51 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
actually it looks aweful. the acting looks terrible, and the plot seems weird to say the least and why does every movie about frum people talk all about kabbalah. is it so hard to find out that the average jew-boy learns gemara, NOT kabbalah?

Where did you see the word kabbalah?

kitov

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
Tweedledee wrote:

somewhere there's a clip where a woman yells something about kabbala mania or the like, I think. I don't know if it's part of the movie or just the making of the movie.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 7:05 pm
sequoia wrote:
Tweedledee wrote:

its in teh trailer a coupla times

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:49 pm
Awful Yiddish. The subtitles are wrong.

detroitmom

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 4:49 pm
Is Malky/Melissa Weisz any relation to the famous Rachel Weisz? The spelling is the same, interesting.

Anyway my frum version of Romeo and Juliet would be like a Satmarer marrying a Lubavitcher or maybe someone extremely modern marrying someone who plans on shaving her head. Or maybe a Carlbach type marrying some Lakewood yeshivish guy.

Then again my version would probably be a comedy not the tragedy Shakespeare intended Smile

Everyone ends up being friends and dancing the hora by the end.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 06 2011, 5:47 am
Weisz is the Hungarian spelling of Weiss. It's a common name Smile

yersp

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:33 am
I read online someone wrote on a blog about them (& actually mentioned imamother!) that there's some nudity too. This person writes further that Malky & the main actor Lazer Weiss fell in love IRL & live now together in Williamsburg. She also models & designs lingerie. Who woulda guessed that she would end up like this? I knew her very well when we were younger in about 3rd/4th grade. In any case I'm not at all impressed by the movie. Oh! this blog also wrote that Malky said she hoped 2 of her 6 sisters would see the movie & doesn't want her parents to seeit because they wouldn't understand it. Greatfulmom, you can try either googling her or try to see if you can get in contact with someone listed from the movie thru facebook. Good Luck!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:45 am
here is the trailer. to me it just looks like a peculiar film:

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics