Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Asthma

imayekara

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 12:20 pm
Hello everyone, I am new here.
My 2 year old has asthma. He has been having respiratory problems since he was 6 months old when he caught whooping cough ( yes we do vaccinate ). He has been on inhalations many many times and was hospitalized for croup.( He has also had two other non asthma related hospitalizations)
We live in Israel and until he was two we didnt get a diagnosis for him, but finally about 6 months ago we were given the asthma diagnosis, and started preventative treatment. Right now he is on Singular, a budesonide inhaler , ventolin when needed and Avamys nose spray. Its been a long road, he has recently had pneumonia and just seems to be turning the corner this month he got sick 3 times without it turning into a full blown attack.
I would love to be in contact with other asthma moms, as I dont personally have any friends whose kids have asthma. My baby has allergies and atopic dermatitis, so its seems we are an allergic family and I have asthma too but only when I am sick.

Thanks for reading!

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 12:41 pm
my dd gets asthma when she gets sick... and also when she is around peanuts. we do singular every night and a nebulizer with pulmicort every day to prevent attacks. she's 3 almost 4.

imayekara

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 1:22 pm
How do you find the singulair?
At first I didnt like it , I read all sorts of bad things about it but now I think he has got used to it.
When your DD has attacks does she also need oral steroids?
My DS used to be on steroids once a month.

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 2:19 pm
yes. and I had my doc perscribe a bunch of bottles that I can have by everyones house. I find the oral steroids work really fast.

the singular - at first I wasn't either excited but she's doing so much better on it that I'm happy to use it... whenever I don't give it to her I see a difference.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 2:53 pm
Hi OP - welcome aboard!
My 19 month old has asthma. He was diagnosed pretty early - at four months old, after having major coughing attacks repeatedly from the time he was about 2 months old. He also has terrible eczema, and is allergic to a bunch of different foods, so we got the whole package in one kid!
He gets budicort twice a day, as prevention, and ventolin as needed. He also takes steroid when it gets really bad, but B"H it hasn't gotten out of control in a very long time (pooh pooh!)
His skin is a disgrace, and his head is HORRIBLE. I wish I could get that under control too! Sad

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 3:48 pm
I have Asthma, am on Singulair, never noticed side effects...

imayekara

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:56 am
small bean wrote:
yes. and I had my doc perscribe a bunch of bottles that I can have by everyones house. I find the oral steroids work really fast.

the singular - at first I wasn't either excited but she's doing so much better on it that I'm happy to use it... whenever I don't give it to her I see a difference.

I dont know if its the budicort ( budesonide) inhaler or the singulair or the pair of them that are working to prevent the attacks , I know that the pulminologist wants to try and wean him off the meds or at least lesser dosage when we gain more control.

imayekara

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:02 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
Hi OP - welcome aboard!
My 19 month old has asthma. He was diagnosed pretty early - at four months old, after having major coughing attacks repeatedly from the time he was about 2 months old. He also has terrible eczema, and is allergic to a bunch of different foods, so we got the whole package in one kid!
He gets budicort twice a day, as prevention, and ventolin as needed. He also takes steroid when it gets really bad, but B"H it hasn't gotten out of control in a very long time (pooh pooh!)
His skin is a disgrace, and his head is HORRIBLE. I wish I could get that under control too! Sad

I really feel for you, I know what all of this is like.
With the eczema we use atopiclair lotion every day and aquesome cream, and then when its flares up we use a topical steriod called elecom for the scalp we used a steroid lotion too as my son was scratching his head so badly there were multiple cuts and scabs everywhere. I think its call Betacarone or something.
BH the ecema is under control right now. He still gets hives every so often and randomly his eyes will stream or look very pink all around or hell get splotchy and ill give him fenistil drops, I am not sure they really work to make the reaction last less time though.
He is allergic to egg which we found out via prick test so no eggs and I stopped eathing them for a while too while nursing him, I have just started eating them again to see if they really impact him through my milk we will see.. He also cant have flu shots or mmr's.

With the asthma child you are so lucky to have an early diagnosis those coughing fits are aweful, our worst was the croup one, we called an ambulance and needed adrenaline. I was petrified, and my baby was only a few months old at the time. Thats where we really got down to the asthma diagnosis.
BH things bli ayin hara are looking better now.
We still have to do a CF sweat test this week, the doctors say its procedure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics