Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Which internet filter?
1  2  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 2:41 pm
I'm looking for a filter for my home computer for the internet. Any recommendations? Preferably free.

It'sMe

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 4:26 pm
I have K9 on, did you ever try it?

Kayza

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 4:34 pm
My experience with K9 was disastrous.

What has worked well for me is Norton Online Family Safety. They have the standard version, and a version that you have to pay for with some extra features. I don't know how well the extra features work, because I don't need them.

Also, if you have either Windows Vista or 7, Microsoft has a pretty good filter (They call them parental controls.)

chanab

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 5:30 pm
Kayza wrote:
My experience with K9 was disastrous.

What has worked well for me is Norton Online Family Safety. They have the standard version, and a version that you have to pay for with some extra features. I don't know how well the extra features work, because I don't need them.

Also, if you have either Windows Vista or 7, Microsoft has a pretty good filter (They call them parental controls.)

Can you share why?

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 5:39 pm
I also tried the K9 once and had an awful experience. I don't remember exactly but I think it blocked the whole internet or s/t. I'll try the other one you mentioned. just curious. what is included in the basic, free pkge? what does it do?

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 9:51 pm
I'm also looking for a good internet filter.

Does anyone use the Jewish ones? Which are the cheapest?

momomany

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:08 am
very happy with k9

Simple1

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:18 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
I also tried the K9 once and had an awful experience. I don't remember exactly but I think it blocked the whole internet or s/t. I'll try the other one you mentioned. just curious. what is included in the basic, free pkge? what does it do?

It blocked the whole inernet? Did you go to customized settings and try to change that?

I'm using K9 now and don't see a problem, but have never used another filter so I don't have what to compare it to.

grin

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:24 am
I tried K9 - it was a disaster with facebook, made the whole site come out warped.

The "parental controls" that come installed with IE and FF are only good if the child in question isn't going to circumvent them. (Mine discovered Google Chrome, which doesn't have such a thing. Not only that, but you can surf "hidden", without leaving a trace.)

OpenDns is also free and more sophisticated. Unfortunately, my 13 yo computer genius learned to circumvent even that. So I signed up for an internet service that censors X-rated stuff (in Israel, Internet Rimon) so it can never enter the house - at least that much I could insure.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:45 am
We use K9.

Perhaps its been updated? Each website is transmitted to your computer via the K9 filter, so using Chrome wouldn't help.

grin

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:52 am
saw50st8 wrote:
We use K9.

Perhaps its been updated? Each website is transmitted to your computer via the K9 filter, so using Chrome wouldn't help.
do you use it with FB?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:54 am
grin wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
We use K9.

do you use it with FB?

Yes, without a problem.

My husband uses Opera.

momtomany

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:55 am
You need to play with your K9 settings to tell it what to block and what not. you can also add facebook to your always allowed list.

a good way to check what category is being blocked is to clear your K9 and then go to the website that is messed up, then view your internet use with K9 and it will tell you what categories came up on that page, and which were blocked. you can then allow the category that gets blocked by going to your settings page. or add the website to your always allowed list.

social networking sites, are blocked by default so you need to uncheck it by going to settings.

freshie

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 7:52 am
Very happy with K9. Extremely easy to download, no charge and blocks exactly what needs to be blocked. It so far never stopped me from not viewing things including facebook,youtube etc. It needed playing around with and that is why you customise it Very Happy

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:13 am
I use a program called WebChaver (based on a program called Covenant Eyes). It is not a filter, but rather an accountability program. It is highly recommended by rabbonim (and was written up within the past year in one of the magazines -- I think Mishpocha). Rav Yitzchok Berkowitz is involved with it.

The way it works is that it doesn't block anything (necessary for the nature of my business). Instead, it emails a report of websites you've visited to your designated "Chaver". It is impossible to access the web getting around it once it is installed (and it cannot be uninstalled without getting a special code from the company). The point is that if you know someone is going to see the sites you've visited, you're not going to go to them. Obviously if someone doesn't care about that it, it won't help. It also won't preclude accidental viewing of problem sites.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:53 am
Is K9 a frum program? does it block things automatically or do you need to enter every website?

freshie

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:15 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
Is K9 a frum program? does it block things automatically or do you need to enter every website?

it isn't Jewish. You choose your level and then you can customise. It also has time restrictions.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:27 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I use a program called WebChaver (based on a program called Covenant Eyes). It is not a filter, but rather an accountability program. It is highly recommended by rabbonim (and was written up within the past year in one of the magazines -- I think Mishpocha). Rav Yitzchok Berkowitz is involved with it.

The way it works is that it doesn't block anything (necessary for the nature of my business). Instead, it emails a report of websites you've visited to your designated "Chaver". It is impossible to access the web getting around it once it is installed (and it cannot be uninstalled without getting a special code from the company). The point is that if you know someone is going to see the sites you've visited, you're not going to go to them. Obviously if someone doesn't care about that it, it won't help. It also won't preclude accidental viewing of problem sites.

It sounds like a good program, but I would worry about my privacy. Sometimes people can go to sites that are not wrong, but you just want to keep private - such as looking up info on a medical or mental health condition. I'm also not thrilled about people knowing how often or where I go shopping or any silly site I may have visited.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 11:22 am
Simple1 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
I use a program called WebChaver (based on a program called Covenant Eyes).

It sounds like a good program, but I would worry about my privacy. Sometimes people can go to sites that are not wrong, but you just want to keep private - such as looking up info on a medical or mental health condition. I'm also not thrilled about people knowing how often or where I go shopping or any silly site I may have visited.

Yes, that can be a concern. Obviously you would need to have a chaver you are comfortable with seeing these things (most commonly a spouse, your Rav or a close relative).

The advantage is that if, as I do, you have a business where you cannot have restricted access to any sites (due to time contraints), this provides a different level of caution.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 11:25 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
I use a program called WebChaver (based on a program called Covenant Eyes).

Yes, that can be a concern. Obviously you would need to have a chaver you are comfortable with seeing these things (most commonly a spouse, your Rav or a close relative).

The advantage is that if, as I do, you have a business where you cannot have restricted access to any sites (due to time contraints), this provides a different level of caution.

Spouse - I didn't think of that, well that wouldn't bother me at all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars