Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Salmon from freezer tastes bad

2boyzn1girl

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:07 am
I've been having this problem for a while. I get a weekly fish order which includes several slices of filleted salmon. There are times that I put them in the freezer, for example two weeks ago, when I was in Florida, and the order arrived and my daughter put it in the freezer. Every time I've used salmon from the freezer after defrosting, it tasted off. Last time, I made teriyaki salmon, and it had a really bad aftertaste. I usually take it out of the freezer on the morning I wish to use it, and I leave it in the fridge until dinner time. Or I'll put it in the teriyaki marinade, and leave it in the fridge. Any ideas how to avoid this problem? When I bake the salmon, after defrosting it in the fridge, I get the same bad taste, a real fishy unpleasant taste.

mommalah

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:24 am
If it's fishy smelling, it's not fresh.
Smell it before freezing it next time. If it smells bad after washing, it will continue to smell after its frozen and defrosted. If it has no smell when you get the order, putting it in the freezer shouldn't change that. It should stay fresh.

For awhile I had been getting fish at my local kosher supermarkets fish dept, and it always had a fishy smell. Eventually I stopped buying there because for the outrageous price of $10.99/lb it should have zero smell. I started purchasing my salmon in the local non-kosher fish dept (this is ok to do) for $6.99/lb and there is no smell whatsoever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen