Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Prices for Produce and Fleish- Per Pound or Per Peice?
1  2  3  Next

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:02 am
Wondering- is produce where you live priced per peice? Like 50 cents per grapefruit, 1 dollar per head of broccoli? Or is it 1 dollar per pound of apples, for example?

How about fleishigs? Is it 5 cutlets for 3 dollars or is it 3 dollar per pound?

Are there scales where you buy things so even if you have a price listed per item you can figure out the price per pound?

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:10 am
depends what. oranges are sometimes 2 for a dollar or 75 cents each but a different variety will be strictly by pound. apples are by pound. watermelon by pound. most fruits and veggies are by pound. chicken and meat are by pound. don't remember if they have scales in the produce department since they renovated, before they did I know they had....

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:18 am
Produce - depends what. Mostly per pound, certain things per unit. Things I've noticed that tend to be per unit: Avocados, lemons, small garlic heads (usually in a 5-pack). Sometimes melons when they're all roughly the same size (think cantaloupe).

Meat - I think it's always per pound; I never remember seeing it any other way.

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:37 am
I have never seen meat other than per pound/kilo. Vegetables, things like celery and fresh spices, heads of lettuce are per package here, but most things are per kilo. In the US there were packages of tomatoes, garlic, avocados, english cucmbers, etc by the unit, but most things were by the pound.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:45 am
Here in Israel the only things I've seen per unit were alfalfa sprouts, fresh mushrooms, bean sprouts, heads of lettuce, parsnips, celery roots, and coconuts. All else is by pound. I wondered how things differed in other places.

miriamg

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:54 am
For Israel - same as Liba.

In the US, more things per item, such as melons (canteloupe, watermelon, honeydew), kiwis, mangos, grapefruits. Many of the packaged items were per package, but I think that they are typically packaged by weight, for example, berries, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 5:23 am
Broccoli/cauliflower I only buy frozen. they are in bags but prepackaged according to weight.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 7:11 am
Most fruits and veg. are per kilo. The ones that aren't are mango, kiwi, avocado, etc...

Chicken and meat are per kilo.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 10:39 am
Our chicken/meat has both on the sticker label. How much it costs per lb., how much it weighs, and the total cost.

Produce is either one or the other, like others mentioned. I've learned how much to expect to pay even without a scale. Not that it matters much because there are very few fruits/vegetables I'd buy over .99/lb.

nylon

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 12:32 pm
Meat - always per pound.

Produce: A mix. Pre-weighed bags and cartons, by the piece (though really it's the same as price per weight) - so, packs of peppers, bagged apples/onions/potatoes/carrots/celery/citrus, bunches of herbs, cartons of mushrooms or berries.

Per piece, loose: Some fruits and vegetables. Generally uniform size and often more expensive ones - citrus, avocados, mangoes.

Per weight: Everything else.

Same in the UK, which really loves prepacked produce. (All time favorite: Eggplant encased in plastic)

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 12:38 pm
Are you asking about the price of a pound of flesh, Seraph? LOL

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 12:54 pm
I was asking about fleish meaning chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, etc... If I said meat, people would think I was talking about beef only.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 1:28 pm
Where I live meat and chicken go by pound. Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, suash and those type of stuff go by pound too. Grapefruits/oranges sometimes by piece. Kiwi and avacado always by piece

sarahd

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 2:39 pm
GR wrote:
Not that it matters much because there are very few fruits/vegetables I'd buy over .99/lb.

Good thing you don't live here or you'd be limited to carrots and onions.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 2:58 pm
Yes, good thing! Smile

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:06 pm
it's sold by weight but packaged b y the piece.

for example today I just bought 6 slices of chicken breast. it's $10.75. It's priced at $6.89 per pound.

I also bought four skinless bottoms, it's $5.58, or $3.49 per pound.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:10 pm
I hear. From the way you'd written about it before, Mama Bear, I assumed that you pay per piece of chicken, and that 3 chicken bottoms always costs x, no matter what their size. Thanks for correcting that!

What about produce in williamsburg?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:46 pm
varies from store to store. I like to buy the 'outside' fruits & vegetables which is the cheaper stuff. too bad I didnt bring home my receipt today... I got four grapefruits for $1.00 I think, 3 cucumbers and a bag of clementines from outside. packaged romaine lettuce, box of cherry tomatoes, 4 cortlandt apples, 3 potatoes and 2 bananas from inside. but I dont know what I paid....

I'm proud that today's order was just $60, not my usual $100+. It helps that I have so much pasta and rice in the freezer, and soup, that I didnt have to buy much for sides and appetizers. (though I did by my $6.00 soup at mealmart.... it's sunday... we're all zonnked Very Happy)

Last edited by Mama Bear on Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 3:49 pm
seraph I can try next time I go to the store to check some common prices for you, but I shop at a relatively expensive store because it's near my house, clean and spacious, and a 10% discount for over $50 orders if paid up. there are cheaper stores everywhere, there are bargain hunters like my MIL who know how to buy Smile. I just buy at one store, and yalla.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 4:09 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
seraph I can try next time I go to the store to check some common prices for you, but I shop at a relatively expensive store because it's near my house, clean and spacious, and a 10% discount for over $50 orders if paid up. there are cheaper stores everywhere, there are bargain hunters like my MIL who know how to buy Smile. I just buy at one store, and yalla.
Thats fine, I'd like to know prices in williamsburg, even at the more expensive stores. I have no clue prices in the US and I want to know what prices people are dealing with before I give across the board suggestions for how to cut back on costs. I know veggies arent as cheap in the US as they are here, but I wanted to know if they come out cheaper than fleishigs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics