Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Hadar gathering
1  2  Next

peanutg

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 1:22 pm
Any Hadar seminary people on here? Anyone see the ad about their gathering for Rebetzin Berman one Motzai shabbos soon? Can you share the details here, I didn't see the ad.
Thanks

Mommyme1

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:43 pm
Is it in Eretz Yisrael or America?

whoami

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:50 pm
It's in America, in Lakewood one of the next few Motzei Shabbosim. Don't know when though, and I'm not planning on going...
ETA - It's really the reunion for last year's Hadar girls, but on Motzei Shabbos they are inviting alumni, I think.

peanutg

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:51 pm
America, Lakewood I heard. THey had one in Eretz Yisroel at the time of the yahrzeit.

peanutg

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 5:47 pm
last year they had the reunion for the just back from seminary girls one week and Mrs. O did come that Motzai Shabbos to speak like she always does, and then a diff motzai shabbos they had the kinnus for Rebetzin Berman. I don't know what this year is...

sneakermom

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 6:15 pm
I didn't know she passed away, She was a really nice person.

Tova

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 7:25 pm
Yes, a very special lady who was moser nefesh for Torah.

They have always had a reunion in Lakewood; over Shabbos for the newest graduates and Motzei Shabbos for all alumna...they do it the week that Mrs. Orenstein is in America conducting seminary interviews. The funnest part was the reunion aspect - seeing your fellow seminary-mates that you haven't seen in a while!

Mommyme1

Post Thu, Jan 06 2011, 12:59 am
Of course - I should've realized it was interviews time...

BTW when I first saw this thread I was wondering if you wanted to arrange a Hadar Imamother meet. It would be cute to see all the Hadarlings come out and identify themselves. Smile

peanutg

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 5:42 pm
Okay, got some info but not too much-
It's motzai shabbos parshas yisro in Lakewood, and yes, it is the shabbos that the last year's girls have their reunion. I feel kinda bad for them, Mrs. O's speech that motzai shabbos was great.... This is open to all Hadar alumni. I'll post more if I hear more.
So anyone want to start with what year they are??? LOL

sneakermom

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 6:10 pm
If there was an anonymous feature.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 6:35 pm
I'd reallty like it posted if and when there are yahrtzeit talks in EY, Both Hadar's menahelet and her mother a"h were my teachers in a pre-Hadar days seminary, if you can think back that far. Wink

Oh well, maybe next year some Hadaling will remember to post. Thanks.

Mommyme1

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 5:09 am
Sadly I missed the Kinnus on Rebbetzin Berman's Yahrzheit, but Mrs. O gives an alumni shiur about once a month which I try to go to.

Last month the current Hadarlings showed the cantata they just made for Kiryat Sefer Shabbos. It was really good!

peanutg

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 12:41 pm
EY mothers- Rebetzin Berman's is at end of Cheshvan, so you can always call Hadar and find out. THough this was the first yartzheit, don't know if they're doing it every year.
Do you know if her monthly things are recorded? (Hey, do you go? Want to start a thread and let us know what she says each month Very Happy ?)

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 2:34 pm
That WOULD be nice if there was a call-in number so those of us outside of E"Y could hear the talks...wow, I haven't heard Mrs. Orenstein's voice in over a decade or so (since the last reunion in Lakewood I attended) but when I close my eyes and concentrate I can still conjure it up!

Mommyme1

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 3:05 pm
I don't know if anyone records them. They are usually on Shaarim BeTfillah or she often discusses other things as well, especially things having to do with the time of year. She spoke at the beginning of Teves about a Medrash regarding the greatness in Torah that Klal Yisrael attained during the second Beis Hamikdash, from the Menorah. She also spoke about Quality vrs. Quantity. That was the theme of the Kiryat Sefer Shabbos, and of the cantata which they put on, which spoke about how Rav Aharon Kotler started Lakewood with only 9 bochurim and look at it today, and Sarah Schenirer started BY with so many dissenters, and look at us today...

I confess to having spaced out and almost dozing off in middle of the class because I was having a long week with tons of working hours, and hardly any sleep. My cousins in Hadar were appalled that I could be married with a kid and still falling asleep. I told them 'at least my excuse is a good one. I'm married with a kid...'

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 9:39 pm
Who is in charge of advertising events? I want to get on the list. (Pre-Hadar, I went to another seminary where I had these teachers.)

Mommyme1

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 1:37 am
They aren't really advertised. One alumni from each year is supposed to call the rest of the girls from her year. They are usually on a night in the beginning of the month.

For a few months the girl in my year forgot to call me, but I b'h knew about it from my cousin in seminary this year.

peanutg

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 2:25 pm
I'm JEALOUS!!! I listen to a few things I have recorded (someone from my year had an Israeli person record her shavuos speech- AMAZING to listen to once you are married!!!) and I think I know them by heart already... I'm really jealous that you can listen to her once a month, but I hear why you are falling asleep!!
So, Hadarlings I think they call us, where are your husbands today? Still learning? Wink

Tova

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 2:34 pm
Her Shavuos talk was the ULTIMATE. I happen to remember that the year I was in sem 12 years ago the 2nd day of Shavuos was Shabbos (because we all stayed within walking distance and walked back to the sem for shalosh seudos) so I guess no one could have taped it!

I would love to listen to her speak again for nostalgic's sake, but I actually think that now once I'm married it would impact me much less as I have already found that "right" balance (for me) with my husband. I guess that's the point. In sem you have little responsibilities and are really able to focus on opening your neshama to THAT level (fellow Hadar-mates will understand).

Yes, b"H we are still in kollel after over 9 years of marriage.

I am just NOW remembering a special memory. I asked Reb. Berman a"h if I could discuss something with her that was bothering me (I'll tell you what it was in a second) and she was so sweet and said the best time was over lunch...so we ate lunch in one of the offices while everyone else was in the lunchroom in the basement and I felt SO special :-) So what did I discuss with her? Night seder. I was so stupid - for some reason my great philosophical issue in sem was that I didn't understand why husbands have to go to night seder after a full day of learning. It sounds utterly ridiculous to me. Irony of ironies, my husband didn't even miss night seder for shana rishona...he started attending after about 3 months of marriage with my full consent(we were in Lakewood and it was winter and with the minyanim schedule he had to go back to yeshiva for maariv anyways...)

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 3:50 pm
Tova, please don't be embarrassed that you had sincere things like night seder/shalom bayis on your mind. At 18, that was a perfectly appropriate place to be in your avodas Hashem. Your lunch date sounds amazing!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics