Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Hadar gathering
Previous  1  2

peanutg

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:24 pm
I'll never forget Rebetzin Berman's closing speech to us- life is going to give you nisyonos. You can either fall from it or grow from it. But not both. ANd it's up to you.
I don't know if that many of us as seminary girls had a real understanding, but now....

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:58 pm
peanutg wrote:
I'll never forget Rebetzin Berman's closing speech to us- life is going to give you nisyonos. You can either fall from it or grow from it. But not both. ANd it's up to you.
I don't know if that many of us as seminary girls had a real understanding, but now....

All the more inspiring when you have an idea what nisyonos she grew from. Once Mrs. O. started talking about them and we were shocked into absolute silence.

Mommyme1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:26 pm
I felt like Rebbetzin Berman was the one that really made me appreciate everything else I was learning in Hadar. I went to seminary already planning for my husband to stay in Kollel "forever" so I didn't really need Mrs. Orenstein's classes, as much as seeing the true role model of Rebbetzin Berman.
I really feel bad that the girls today cannot learn from her.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:50 pm
All true, ladies.

And how could we not mention Mrs. Twerski - such a warm wonderful lady - I remember at the interviews she shmoozed with us as we waited our turns to go into Mrs. Orenstein. Her primary concern was that we have enough to eat as we had traveled four hours to NY for the interviews. I can still remember her huge smile.

peanutg- is it possible that the recordings of Mrs. Orenstien can be e-mailed to me or copies made and sent to me (I'll reimburse you)?

peanutg

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 6:02 pm
Isramom8- Did you hear Mrs. O's speech from last year? I think she spoke the same thing in EY and Lakewood. It was about all those struggles...

mommyme1- it is sad... I think that a lot of girls learned from Rebetzin Berman after she was niftar though. Meaning she was such a normal regular person in a way (but when she got fiery in her classes, boy was she unusual!) but did such not normal things for her husband and his torah.
It's funny cuz I had a similar feeling after seminary was over- loved it , felt like it really helped make me 'get there' but that I wanted a learning husband anyways. but now that I'm married, there are many days that are tough, many long hours at home alone, many things that I do that I don't even know where I fit it into my day. those times that you're just not feeling well and still make supper/shabbos/cook/clean/shop/AND WORK full time! And it's at those times, that even though I'm not running to pull my husband out of kollel, and I hope he'll stay there for many more years, her words (okay, I'll admit it, I have some of my seminary notes with me and I do read some of them from time to time) really help me change my attitude and not get disgruntled, but rather have that proud feeling restored of YES, my husband is learning! ANd it gets me going to finish that pile of ironing my husbands shirts and all that Very Happy
Tova- I pmed you.
So no one knows the details?

peanutg

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 6:07 pm
Yes Tova, we can't forget Mrs. Twerski! Anyone that went to Hadar and starved its because they didnt know that Mrs. Twerski arranges anything- I remember girls telling her they didn't like onions, so from then on each time they made that yummy onion bread on chessed day, they made some plain
Thinking about her brought a smile to my face!

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 6:59 pm
My year it was the raisins in the lokshen cheese kugel! Finally by mid-year someone told Mrs. Twerski that we prefered it without the raisins and she was shocked that no one told her earlier!

Mommyme1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 7:41 pm
peanutg - that's very true. I often find myself thinking things in my head that Mrs. O had said. I also have mp3s from many of her classes and it really helps me to keep it fresh!

enneamom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 8:00 pm
Wow, what an amazing bunch of Hadarlings you are! I've always admired some of you, and now I know why...it was that secret Hadar ingredient! Wink Puts me to shame! embarrassed

peanutg

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:52 pm
mp3's from hashkafah classes?!?!?!? I would love to hear! My notes just don't measure up to the real thing! I went to seminary in the days before mp3 players, we had tapes LOL
The secret ingredient- when I heard Mrs. Orenstein and Mrs. Twerski talking about Rebetzin Berman, and I had heard a lot about Rav Abba Berman too, finally I understood Hadar's whole standpoint, and why it makes the whole place amazing. And then when people would roll their eyes when they heard that it's a whole family there (well, Mrs. Orenstein's daughter also teaches there now, and who can forget Mrs. Feldman??? Ki Teitzei Lamilchama...) I would say, NO! It's because it's a whole family, and they are coming from a place where Torah is the only way, yet they are normal too, and they are all coming from that place, that it works...
The best I heard yet, I think it was from Rav Barclay- Hadar doesn't brain wash, it dry cleans

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:10 pm
No way I can forget Mrs. Twerski (She taught me too.) she had us write doen all the meforshim in Parshas hashavua. When girls complined that there's no point, she was mevater one week. Then when she asked us questions, we takeh didn't know the chomer very well! So she proved her point.

As for Mrs. Orenstein's daughter, she was like 2. I babysat her kids once. Her oldest son and I had a very interesting discussion about the Mir yeshiva, which we passed on our walk. I think he was 8. Great kids.

Tova

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:12 pm
peanut, what an extremely insightful comment and 100% on the mark!

My sister went to Hadar 8 years after me...it was hysterical to me that little Yocheved Orenstein who was about 12 when I was in sem and came with us on tiyulim was married and teaching at the sem! My sister said that one time during one of the tests that Mrs. ____ (don't know Yocheved's married name) was giving one of the girls muttered under her breath "I am not smart enough to do this...I don't have a "Berman brain" and everyone including Yocheved was rolling on the floor.

And BTW, Rabbi Barclay said the same comment my year...he teaches in a bunch of seminaries but really loves and respects Hadar. I still have the notes from his crystal-clear hilchos Shabbos.

Tova

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:14 pm
Isramom, I guessing you went to Machon Devorah (I think that was the name?) - apparently that was the real pre-cursor to Hadar!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:18 pm
I'll just say that a few years ago when Hadar girls were over for Shabbos, they could seriously study for their Navi test from my old notes. Very Happy

peanutg

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 6:37 pm
Aaah, the matchings on the Navi tests!!! Were those a challenge! Yep, you definitely needed a certain kind of brain for those!

Okay, I have some info:
Motzai Shabbos Parshas Yisro, that's January 22nd, in Satmar Hall on 800 Princeton Avenue, at 8:45 pm

I think Yocheved is more like 24-25 now, which is better than a 20 year old in Hadar Wink

peanutg

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 1:45 pm
Anyone went who can share what happened? Were there a lot of people? What did she talk about?

rayray

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:18 pm
Hi I am looking for a girl that graduated from Hadar she is 32 years old from Brooklyn
Very important for a bone marrow match please message me if you can help
Thank you
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics