Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Odd number of eggs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:15 pm
My thoughts are to ask a rav Wink

My husband said he never heard of a real issur on blood in the white -- it's just from the mother. It doesn't assur the egg, as far as he knows...you just can't eat the blood.
(He thinks having younger chickens to lay eggs will help. The older they get, the more blood. And he suggests checking the eggs of each hen separately. If one is laying a lot of problematic eggs, "it's time for a shochet".)

BTW, odd amounts don't matter past 3.

Have you noticed this issue in raw eggs as well?

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

de_goldy

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:15 pm
I would suggest you ask a Rov, Babka, but I suspect you will have to throw away the whole egg.

Re the discussion on boiling 3 eggs, as I understand it is important to boil an odd number in terms of the POT, not the eggs. With an odd number, you will always have a majority. This way, if the majority do not have blood spots (and yes, we hold that boiled eggs must be checked), then the pot will not become treif. If the majority do have blood spots, then the pot become treif.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:18 pm
Once you do 3, there is no chashash once so ever.
My husband does not see a problem in the pot ever -- 3 or less is for the eggs, for rov.

ROFL

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:19 pm
Yael, how can you encourage a HIM to look at this website ??????? I do not know how to bold. But LOOK below. !!!!

Yael wrote:
This is what I wrote to him before posting:

Quote:
I believe the reason comes from the following idea:
If one of the eggs turns out to have a blood spot in it, it could potentially make your pot trief unless there are more eggs without the blood than with it. this is why a minimum of 3 eggs is used. the odd number of more eggs than that may be people taking it further.

It would make for an interesting thread topic though, and I will post your question on the forum.

I'll let him know he can look here for more responses confirming what I said to him.

de_goldy

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Once you do 3, there is no chashash once so ever.
My husband does not see a problem in the pot ever -- 3 or less is for the eggs, for rov.

This is according to your husband.

My Rov holds differently.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:28 pm
To clarify: 3 is for rov for eggs.

The pot is a separate shaila, depending on water amount, etc. According to my husband, it can still be a halachic issue.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:34 pm
http://www.kashrut.com/articles/eggs/

Babka, are there roosters around your farm too?

Merrymom

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:35 pm
Babka wrote:
My husband is a farm manager and we will b"h be getting most of our eggs from cage free chickens. Today I was cutting open hard boiled eggs to serve for shabbos. They were all boiled in odd numbers, but when I cut them open, I found that about a fourth of them had blood in the whites, but not in the yolks.

What is the halacha on what parts can be eaten?
Does the whole egg have to be thrown out?
If there is blood on the white, but not the yolk, can the yolk still be eaten?
How big does a spot on the white have to be to consider it blood?
I've heard some say that nowadays we throw away the whole egg even if there is just blood on the white, because it is not a financial burden to buy more eggs...but getting eggs for us is not about finances, it's about eating the eggs that are from the farm where we live.

Any thoughts?

How could you tell it was blood if it was cooked?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:38 pm
He's wondering if it's possible you couldn't see the blood in the yolk, BTW.

Were they cooked in the same water?

(See why a rav is helpful -- to ask these questions on the spot Smile He thinks this is an interesting shaila if that makes you smile Smile)

And he's still doing the math on it...according to the rema, it would seem that the bloodless eggs are ok. Even the eggs that became treif would be batul...

But you need a rav to pasken. And please report back. He thinks this is very unique Smile

Did you use a spoon to remove the eggs?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 12:24 am
Just to clarify here, once the eggs are cooked, the bloodspot will always be on the white (even if it was originally on the yellow). We always check cooked eggs, and I have never found blood on the yellow, only on the white. It transfers over.

Babka

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 8:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Very helpful website, thank you very much.

There are no roosters on the farm. I'll let you all know what happens. My husband hasn't asked the Rav yet, because he thinks the Rav will just tell us to buy eggs that have been checked with a light. The farm is hoping to sell eggs this year and I asked my husband if they would consider checking them with light. Most people don't like to receive eggs with blood in them anyway.

Babka

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 9:05 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Just to clarify here, once the eggs are cooked, the bloodspot will always be on the white (even if it was originally on the yellow). We always check cooked eggs, and I have never found blood on the yellow, only on the white. It transfers over.

Is this true? I'm not sure that it makes sense from a chemistry perspective: the yolk is protein, the albumen (white) is fat, and there is a membrane between the two. Apparently sometimes as eggs age, water from the albumen moves into the yolk and dilutes blood spots that may be there from blood vessels on the surface of the yolk that ruptured during formation.

natmichal

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 10:55 am
I just read yesterday that although you have to check raw eggs for blood, you don't have to check hard boiled eggs since blood is rare (even though I remember my mother throwing half a dozen once but it was 20 years ago). The "Alon" I read this quoted the Rama but I don't have it on hand.
However, it is common practice to always have an odd number for bitul berov.
Since you don't have to check hard boiled eggs, I'd say it's more an Hiddur than an Have to- but I always boil eggs this way.

Liba

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 11:05 am
Babka are you sure they are blood spots?

If when eggs are boiling they don't move around and one spot is sitting on the bottom of the pot it will make a red orange spot at that location on the white of the egg. It is not a blood spot but a scorched spot.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 6:48 pm
Babka wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Is this true? I'm not sure that it makes sense from a chemistry perspective: the yolk is protein, the albumen (white) is fat, and there is a membrane between the two. Apparently sometimes as eggs age, water from the albumen moves into the yolk and dilutes blood spots that may be there from blood vessels on the surface of the yolk that ruptured during formation.
Isn't it the other way around?
The white is where the protein lies, the yolk is where the fat lies.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 9:03 pm
Babka wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Very helpful website, thank you very much.

There are no roosters on the farm. I'll let you all know what happens. My husband hasn't asked the Rav yet, because he thinks the Rav will just tell us to buy eggs that have been checked with a light. The farm is hoping to sell eggs this year and I asked my husband if they would consider checking them with light. Most people don't like to receive eggs with blood in them anyway.

My husband was thinking about this the past day...he's concerned about the pot if there is a chashash one batch rov WAS bloody, and then we can't matir the pot, but we don't know since it was all mixed in....but he spoke about this with a few guys he learned this siman with, and they're all leaning to matir the eggs. But he wants to know what the rav says Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 9:05 pm
natmichal wrote:
I just read yesterday that although you have to check raw eggs for blood, you don't have to check hard boiled eggs since blood is rare (even though I remember my mother throwing half a dozen once but it was 20 years ago). The "Alon" I read this quoted the Rama but I don't have it on hand.
However, it is common practice to always have an odd number for bitul berov.
Since you don't have to check hard boiled eggs, I'd say it's more an Hiddur than an Have to- but I always boil eggs this way.

IS it common practice to have an odd amount?

The debate de_goldy and I were having last night was based on our halachic stance in this household that:
1)3 or under -- you want a rov for the eggs and pot.
2)Over 3, no odd amount necessary since blood in eggs is considered rare, and we're not worried more than 1 egg will have a blood spot, so therefore we don't worry about the pot or eggs past the number 3.

sunset

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 12:39 am
What a fun thread. I'm imagining reading from a gemara. This one says such and such...that one says so and so lol

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:18 am
LOL!

We often do one or two, why not? if you don't need more? (and we check)
But my dad remembers his grandmother did 3...

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:54 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Do most people really check hard boiled eggs? We don't - just raw ones - and I know my rav holds thats fine.

I was taught to check even the hardboiled eggs.

Edited to add, "but only when someone is looking" Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions