Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby with broken scull

amother

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 2:12 am
my baby fell by the babysitter on Wednesday (I don't believe any negligence here - he is starting to walk and falls are part of the process) - she called me right away to tell me. I called the dr. and he said as long as he is acting fine then I don't have to worry. (His has a big bump on his head) today (friday) he still has a big bump so I took him to the dr. The dr. is concerned it's a fracture. Because the baby is acting fine he will have us wait until sunday to do an x-ray.
Did anyone have a this happen to a baby? If it is a fracture then what do they do?

pumpernickle

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 8:05 am
When a baby falls they always suspect a fractured skull. If he has the bump on his forehead then it's usually nothing.. You just have to go along with the procedures.. Hope it is nothing.. Especially if he is acting ok!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 9:23 am
Just be really careful, if you end up in the hospital or anything, social services might put you through the wringer. I think you should speak to a community rep or askan before you do anything so you dont end up in a mess.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 9:34 am
Get arnica cream and apply it to the bump to reduce swelling. I'm not sure if it's as effective this late in the game, but I'd still recommend it.

sneakermom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 10:46 am
When my oldest was a toddler she once fell down a flight of steps and got a bad bump on her head. It probably was a bit of a fracture because for a long time there was a dent in her forehead once the bump went away. As she grew and her head got bigger, the dent went away.....I once asked the doc about it and she said it might have been a fracture. But being that I didn't go the doc right away and a lot of time passed, whatever it was it was and we didn't delve further into it.

BrachaC

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 10:58 am
I did not have this with my own child, but my neighbor's baby bashed her head into the coffee table- it was exactly the right height, and she fractured her skull. It was very swollen for a while, but the baby was totally fine. It is not like they can cast a skull, and if the baby is not showing any neurological symptoms then follow your doctor's orders to the T, but don't stress it too much.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 3:25 am
op here
I ended up going to the ER a few hours before shabbos and staying for shabbos as baby came down with a very high fever.
The did an x-ray and he did break it. They did a cat scan and b'h the brain is fine and there is no bleeding.
his high fever is because of a big double ear infection (poor baby)

now they said there is nothing to do about it - but I need to get a baby helmet as I have to let this baby move around - he is very active but I'm scared for him to bang hid broken skull.

grin

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 11:57 am
ouch - that sounds very painful - for you as well as for him.

refua shleima

Ronit

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 12:19 pm
Refuah Shleima. Poor kid!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 12:21 pm
My child had a fractured skull. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO FOR IT. The bone grows back together and that's it. You are VERY LUCKY. You were in the hospital and they let you out just like that? We were CHARGED BY SOCIAL SERVICES. Because we didn't know how it happened. Don't ask. To this day I believe it happened in my sil's house (who had babysat my child the day before), who denied. We were in and out of courts for many months. Our child also had fever, and that's the only reason why we went to the ER. Our pediatrician told us not to go- as there's NO TREATMENT for the fracturing of a skull. Sure enough the fever was nothing, but they had us... It was a nightmare- we suffered greatly. To this day when I see a plain clothed well dressed non-Jew near my house, I freak out. Or when I see a police car even if it's not near my home. B"H, we are doing very well today and our child is blossoming.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 10:02 pm
previous amother this is what I was warning the OP about. Sad BH she was lucky... the idea of CHild Services freaks me out so badly I was scared to go to the ER last year when my 11 month old choked on watermelon. I didnt breathe free until we were discharged.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
My child had a fractured skull. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO FOR IT. The bone grows back together and that's it. You are VERY LUCKY. You were in the hospital and they let you out just like that? We were CHARGED BY SOCIAL SERVICES. Because we didn't know how it happened. Don't ask. To this day I believe it happened in my sil's house (who had babysat my child the day before), who denied. We were in and out of courts for many months. Our child also had fever, and that's the only reason why we went to the ER. Our pediatrician told us not to go- as there's NO TREATMENT for the fracturing of a skull. Sure enough the fever was nothing, but they had us... It was a nightmare- we suffered greatly. To this day when I see a plain clothed well dressed non-Jew near my house, I freak out. Or when I see a police car even if it's not near my home. B"H, we are doing very well today and our child is blossoming.

What a nightmare. I do have a question though--you mention that the only reason you went to the ER was because your child had fever accompanying it. I'm really sorry to point this out then--but you should have gone to the ER anyway--don't just assume that a "fractured skull will heal itself" yes, it might, but it can be quite serious.
I hope people don't hesitate to get their kid proper treatment because they are scared they may get stuck with social services.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 6:34 am
Her pediatrician told her not to go to the ER, so she wasn't just assuming the fracture would heal itself.

And yes, the fear of losing your child/ren to Social Services is sadly quickly becoming a reason not to bring children to the ER except as a very last resort, especially if you live in Boro Park or Williamsburgh.

geemum

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:03 am
oy poor baby (and mummy)

wish baby and easy and quick recovery.

hadasa

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:10 am
Refuah sheleima

amother

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:31 am
op here

I'm in israel so maybe it is different here. plus the er was so busy they wanted to get everyone out as fast as possible. (the dr's and nursing did not stop for a minute break the whole shift and there were always people waiting for urgent things)

I was told it will heal itself but I ordered a kind of helmet in the meantime for extra protection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics