Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hot water urn on Shabbos

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 9:17 pm
Do you always put yours up, even if you don't think anyone will use it?

lubcoralsprings

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 9:19 pm
DH can't survive without it..he lives on coffee.

mimsy7420

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 10:06 pm
There are some shabboses where we don't use it, but we always put it up just in case. You never know when someone might come home with a sore throat...Or just want some tea.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 10:13 pm
Oh, I have a coffee machine on a timer, that goes without saying! I def. have fresh brewed coffee every single day of my life except Tisha B'av and Yom Kippur!

I'm only asking about a hot water urn.

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 10:16 pm
My house always has it because we like tea. But if I didn't think anyone was going to use it then I wouldn't have it on.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 5:38 am
I thought this thread was going to be about safety issues.

If anyone has one of the stainless steel urns, change it to the plastic kind. In our town three sisters were badly burned last year when an urn overturned and two years ago, on Simchas Torah, a little boy was badly scalded and was later niftar after pulling the urn down on himself. Crying

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 8:04 am
Why is plastic safer?

I never put mine on, me and dh don't drink tea or coffee. If we have shabbos guests I ask if they want it on.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 8:09 am
The plastic ones that I am familiar with have a locking device that if it tips over the water won't spill out, and you can lock it so that you can't even pump out the water unless you unlock it first.

realeez

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 8:55 am
I think you mean the cheaper metal aluminum ones vs the "pump" style ones - I have a stainless steel one that is pump style w/ the same features as you mentioned.

edit - to show what I mean....

Stainless Steel Pump
(what I have)

"plastic style" pump

Aluminum "cheaper" urn

Last edited by realeez on Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:04 am
I drink maybe 2 hot drinks a year but DH likes to have 1 or 2 coffees a Shabbos. We also like to have the option to offer a hot drink to guests. And as DH says, what does it cost already?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:10 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
I think you mean the cheaper metal aluminum ones vs the "pump" style ones - I have a stainless steel one that is pump style w/ the same features as you mentioned.

Sorry, I hadn't seen those. You're right. I meant the metal ones with the lids you just put on top like a regular saucepan.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 11:54 am
Does anyone know what it cost to operate a hot pot, approximately?

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 12:15 pm
I heard stainless steel ones were much more healthy then aluminum ones. I'm sure the plastic ones are stainless steel inside. Someone told me that something in the aluminum is not good for the water, especially for those who keep their urn on the whole week, like for your baby's bottle for example.
I don't know if it applies for people who turn their urn off right after shabbos.
But I think on a whole, stainless steel ones are better.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:28 pm
The good thing about the plastic ones (ours is plastic inside too) is that the outside doesnt get nearly as hot as with the metal ones which means not burns from accidentally touching it while walking past/reaching for something etc.

Annie

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:34 pm
We leave ours on all the time. I make my daily coffee with it. It's a hold over from when the boys were babies and we used it to heat up their bottles and food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen