Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pierced Ear Infection

cdawnr

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:47 pm
My daughter got her earrings pierced in November. This past Shabbas (2 months later) she said it hurt and I saw that one earring area was red and looked wet with pus. DH and I didn't know what to do so we removed the earring and washed the area and put some alchohol on it to clean it. On Motzay Shabbas I put some anti biotic ointment. Tonight (Sunday night) I went to do some research on what we should have done and it seems we maybe should not have taken the earring out. I started to try to put it back in, but she said ouch a bit so I stopped.

Should I try (really) to put it in, see a doctor or wait and have the one ear re-pierce (both expensive and she will be miserable). I guess tomorrow I am sending her to school with one earring in and one not in.

Any advice would be helpful.

Bliss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:55 pm
Dip the post in ointment and gently ease it in, it really shouldn't be blocked so fast. Put bactroban or something for the infection and try replacing the earring with a higher karat gold.

MamaChips

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:56 pm
I would recommend that you do try to get it back in. Make sure you're using the earring the ear was pierced with. Keep alcoholing it and putting on ointment. Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:33 pm
I had the same problem a few months ago- I even started a thread about it-

You are supposed to take the earing out- the earing lady told me to try to stick it in once a day to keep the hole open but it didnt work because every time I put it in, it killed her and it made it bleed which was assur on Shabbos.

I took it out.

It was the smartest thing I ever did.

She wore one earing for awhile- big deal.
In the meantime, put on warm compresses and bactroban antibiotic cream prescribed by MD twice a day. Try to squeeze out the pus. It need to drain- note- these are direct instructions from my MD, not suggested by me.
I eventually repierced her ears with a titanium earing which is hypo allergenic, and after getting 2 infections with real gold, she got none with titanium.

micki

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:53 pm
use lots of ointment and ease it back in. sometimes the original post is very sharp and can poke her when you try to ease it in, so use another earing that the edge is blunt not sharp.
if you want to repeierce then take the earing out, and it will close, but you can put it back in, - BTDT with 3 girls- and once a day , without taking the earing out I put ointment on the post with a tothpick, then moved it gently back and forth to get it inside.
then once a week or so I took it out, made sure there is no pus and put it back in.
it took time but it healed.

Motheroftwins

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 9:08 pm
I agree w the posters who say to put the earring back in. Clean the area with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide - either are fine. Then put some neosporin on the post and put it back in carefully - it might hurt for a minute, but you never take out an earring if its infected. Clean the ear twice a day w alcohol or peroxide - use a q-tip and do the front and back of the ear. then use a different q-tip and apply neosporin twice a day and you should see improvement soon. also, twist the earring around to make sure its not sticking to her skin inside the ear. good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics