Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Franks in blanks

busymother1

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 6:26 pm
Does anybody know how you make franks in blanks?

Bella:D

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:05 pm
Its the easiest thing!

1-Buy a sheet of puff pastry and a package of your favorite hot dogs.
2-roll out the puff pastry with a rolling pin, cut into rectangles about the length of a hot dog, make them narrower if you like less dough and wider if you like more dough.
3-roll each hot dog in a rectangle of puff pastry, slice each wrapped hot dog into slices.
4-(optional)dip each one in egg.
5-put out on a baking sheet (do not overcrowd) and bake at 350-375 until golden.

Enjoy!

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:12 pm
Smile I make what we call franks in blanks, but I use my standard bread recipe... They make a great meal.

Take a handful of dough, roll it out thin, put a little ketchup on it, the length of the hotdog, then put down the hotdog and seal it up in the dough.

I place each one on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, with room in between since they will rise, and bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

They are always a hit and they are really easy.

cookielady

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:13 pm
Liba wrote:
Smile I make what we call franks in blanks, but I use my standard bread recipe... They make a great meal.

Take a handful of dough, roll it out thin, put a little ketchup on it, the length of the hotdog, then put down the hotdog and seal it up in the dough.

I place each one on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, with room in between since they will rise, and bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

That sounds really good. I'll have to try that sometime.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:32 pm
I have made it in the past as Bella did. You can also add a bit of mustard and/or ducksauce to the puff before you put in the frank.

You can also make Hush Puppies which are similar. Take puff pastry, add a layer of mashed potatoes, then the frank and seal and egg.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:15 pm
Liba wrote:

Ooh, that sounds good, like the bagel dogs I remember from my youth...

We do like the pp except even easier. Put 2 hot dogs next to each other on the pastery. Roll & cut. Bake. Done.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:39 pm
Liba wrote:

I am looking for a standard bread recipe that I can make by hand or in a mixer.
Can you share yours?

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:57 pm
ra_mom,

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe-.....gs=12

this is the one I use. Smile I adjust it and change it a lot but, it is what I started with when I first got our bread machine.

When I made the hotdogs I added an egg because I felt like it. It was a bit stickier, but I thought that that was a bonus to get all of the edges to stick together.

Careful of too much ketchup, it makes it hard to get the bread to stick to itself. Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 8:55 am
Liba wrote:
ra_mom,

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe-.....gs=12

this is the one I use. Smile I adjust it and change it a lot but, it is what I started with when I first got our bread machine.

When I made the hotdogs I added an egg because I felt like it. It was a bit stickier, but I thought that that was a bonus to get all of the edges to stick together.

Careful of too much ketchup, it makes it hard to get the bread to stick to itself. Smile
Thank you!
Do you think I can do this by hand, and bake it in the oven? Or should I find a different recipe? (For a regular loaf of bread - not franks in blankets.)

sky

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 9:52 am
Fabulous wrote:
I have made it in the past as Bella did. You can also add a bit of mustard and/or ducksauce to the puff before you put in the frank.

Typically I do it this way.

Fabulous wrote:
You can also make Hush Puppies which are similar. Take puff pastry, add a layer of mashed potatoes, then the frank and seal and egg .

This week I made it like this and it was a huge hit. I stuck shish kabob sticks in them. decorated the plates with honey mustard and ketchup and my kids were thrilled.

Liba

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 2:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thank you!
Do you think I can do this by hand, and bake it in the oven? Or should I find a different recipe? (For a regular loaf of bread - not franks in blankets.)

Yes, you can do it by hand and bake in the oven. Smile Just remember to allow it to rise, shape it and then bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 2:45 pm
Liba wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thank you!

Yes, you can do it by hand and bake in the oven. Smile Just remember to allow it to rise, shape it and then bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Thank you Liba! Smile

asweet

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:11 am
does anyone know if they freeze?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:14 am
asweet wrote:
does anyone know if they freeze?

Great but we're not purists. I dump them in a 9 x 13, maybe if I'd put them on a larger sheet they wouldn't be at all soggy.

I just want to add that I can get 48 from one puff pastry sheet. I spread mustard, cut long skinny strips and wrap around twice. They stay wrapped nicely this way and puff well.

cookielady

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 6:13 pm
Liba, I made them with bread dough. It was a hit. Thanks for a great idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes