Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Waking up to use toilet!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:33 pm
I recently trained my 2.8 yr old & b'h it went well.
When she started waking up with dry P/U at night I took them off at first she had an accident once or twice & then she started waking up once or twice a night to use the bthrm. This is going on for a month already that she wakes up to use the bthrm & she usually uses it. (if we dont go to her she has an accident)
I tried giving her less to drink before she goes to bed & we put her on the toilet before bedtime & read to her so she can empty her bladder.
I feel like shes a newborn again being that she's not sleeping through the night & me suddenly being woken up 1-2times a night
To top it all off she trys to take advantage by crying that she has to make when she doesn't so she can get out of the crib!! Sad
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal??

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:52 pm
I think this is totally normal Bh she knows to wake up instead of making accident she would probably learn with time to hold it in durring her sleep though. And as for asking for the toilet when she doesnt need Just shows how smart she is! In a sertain sence though she is testing you by doing it she wants to see how serious u r with her toilet training but thats really with everything in kids upbringing they test us the wanna see how far they can take advantage of us LOL !
Good luck!

greentiger

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 2:02 pm
maybe now would be a good opportunity to move her to a bed. Btw I think its great you are managing the night training so young.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 8:29 am
I don't know why you think it's weird. That is called toilet trained. Not toilet trained = wetting the bed. Toilet trained = going to the bathroom if you need to.

I would take her out even if she sometimes calls your bluff - it's not worth it for the time she wets herself because you wouldn't come. She'll get tired of it in the end. And I second moving her to a bed.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 8:33 am
I agree - part of being toilet trained is waking up to use the toilet!

And yes, definitely move to a bed now.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:27 am
OP here-Thanks for reassuring me that it’s normal for her to wake up to use the bthrm. in middle of the night.
About moving her to a bed I was thinking about it but I don’t know if I’m ready to train her to sleep in a bed yet or if she's ready. She's giving us a hard time being put to sleep. She always fusses when its time to go to sleep. (like most kids) I used to sing to her until she falls asleep which could take from 2-20 min. Lately I started putting my foot down about singing her to sleep since I want her to learn how to fall asleep on her own. Now I stay with her for about 2-5 min. She hardly ever falls asleep since she knows I’m gonna be leaving her (she keeps picking up her head to see if im there) & when I walk out of her room she cries herself to sleep which can take bet 2-15 min. And this happens too when she wakes up in middle of the night to use the bthrm. Now if I change her over to a bed she'll come out when I leave the room instead of crying.
So I’m thinking of letting her learn to fall asleep on her own in the crib & then switching over to a bed. Am I thinking in the right direction or not?

I'm open to her every ones advice & opinion!

(In case your wondering this is my only child at the moment)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 1:46 pm
Any advice?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 2:01 pm
She's ready for a bed. It's just easier for you to have a "prison". To me the toileting issue for sure is enough reason to give her the independence of being able to get out of bed herself. IMHO you'll just have to cope with her getting out of bed when she shouldn't like any other disciplining issue.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 2:24 pm
My daughter is not even 2.5 and has been sleeping on her own mattress from 15 months old.
Yes, sometimes she comes into our room, and we are fine with that. Other times she sleeps just fine in her bed. If she wakes up, we can bring her back to bed if we don't want her in our room. I see no reason to keep a child in a crib at that age, especially if they need to be let out.

torahtots

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 8:27 pm
My DD was still in a crib at that age but she was not potty trained.
Now she's 4.5 and still in a diaper at night (it's a physiological thing and genetic - I know she will not be dry at night till she's older b/c it runs in the family). I WISH she got up at night to go to the bathroom.

I think if a child is getting up at night to use the bathroom, first of all be very thankful to Hashem that this was so easy - potty training my first was a nightmare and so far it's been no better with my second. And second of all, she needs to be able to take herself to the bathroom!! It might take a week or two and you'll have to be strict so she learns she can't leave her room whenever she wants to. (I have a nightlight on a timer in my son's room and he knows he's allowed to wake me when it turns on.)

Imagine if you woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom but couldn't get out!!

Before you know it she'll learn to go by herself and she won't even need to wake you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training