Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Treating myself for the 1st recipebook, any recommendations?
1  2  Next

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:49 am
I'm treating myself for the first time for a first recipebook (never had one before!!!!)

I want down to earth and easy recipes (no ingredients that you have to pick from the woods or you can find on the moon Wink IYKWIM)

Thanks!

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:06 am
wow thats a hard one, since I have one of each. dining in is very nice.
how about whats cooking? like that a lot. silver spoon,I can go on & on but its not gonna
help.go into the store look aroung ask the sales lady she should know the best
sellers. good luck. enjoy.

mom2be1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:21 am
There is a new one from Leah Schapira called Fresh & Easy I think beautiful picture simple and delicious recipies.

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:28 am
shoemaker wrote:
wow thats a hard one, since I have one of each. dining in is very nice.
how about whats cooking? like that a lot. silver spoon,I can go on & on but its not gonna
help.go into the store look aroung ask the sales lady she should know the best
sellers. good luck. enjoy.

Thanks but I really prefer recommendations from people who actually used those books not a bookseller.
(where I live the ones that sell these cookbooks are men only and I doubt that they know even how to read those recipes Wink )

can you tell me more about those books you mentioned?

mom2be1 wrote:
There is a new one from Leah Schapira called Fresh & Easy I think beautiful picture simple and delicious recipies.

I heard about it, do you have this book?

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:36 am
from each book I like diffrent recipes.your not going to find arecip ebook that u
like all the recipes in it .btw tha pupa cook book is a winner I think I woukd go
for that for my 1st recipe book.

Last edited by shoemaker on Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:37 am
shoemaker wrote:
from each book I like diffrent recipes.yuor not going to find a bok that u
like all the recipes in it .btw tha pupa cook book is a winner I think I woukd go
for that fir my 1st recipe book.

Do you mean the balabusta's choice?

I know it (saw it by my mom) but the ingredients are really expensive!

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:40 am
yes its great

sleepwalking

shoemaker wrote:
yes its great

Thx

Ima'la

I really feel that Spice & Spirit (purple Lubav. cookbook) is the best if you're going to have one cookbook. It really has all the basics, plus a lot of nice recipes that go beyond basics. (Not necessarily more complicated, but a bit more interesting.) The only downside is that it doesn't have all those fun photos that the newer cookbooks have.

aussie2

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:16 am
dining in and dining in again..some recipies have exotic ing.. but many re yummy ones as well

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:17 am
Ima'la wrote:
I really feel that Spice & Spirit (purple Lubav. cookbook) is the best if you're going to have one cookbook. It really has all the basics, plus a lot of nice recipes that go beyond basics. (Not necessarily more complicated, but a bit more interesting.) The only downside is that it doesn't have all those fun photos that the newer cookbooks have.

what she said.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:20 am
Ima'la wrote:

Another vote for spice and spirit!!! It has everything and more - it is the best 'first' cookbook.

Israeli

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:32 am
I learnt how to cook using the dining in and dining in again cookbooks. been making dinners from them for almost two years now and evry single one is a winner!

CatLady

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:44 am
Quote:

Another vote for S&S. It's the kosher equivalent of Joy of Cooking or Mastering the Art of French Cooking, IMHO. Once you know the basics and have mastered the techniques, you can go on to improvise, and that's when any good cookbook can be inspiring.

morahtikvah

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:03 pm
Spice and Spirit might m=be the best because it has everything in it.

If you are open to a non-Jewish cookbook I really like mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything. But obviously you have to adapt it to being kosher.

If you are in Eretz Yisrael I would get A taste of Shabbes because all of its measurements and inf=grediants work well there.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:10 pm
I also agree that if you're going to purchase one cookbook, Spice and Spirit is probably the way to go. Keep in mind that it doesn't contain pictures of the food, so if that's something you want, this is not the book for you.

I like Spice and Spirit because they have several different recipes for each item. For instance, they have a few potato kugel recipes. Anytime I need a recipe for a specific basic item, S&S always has it.

You could also try different cookbooks from your local library before purchasing. That's what I like to do.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:11 pm
I second the Purple Cookbook, but I believe it is currently out of print. I wanted to purchase a few to give as gifts and could not a single one in any of the bookstores. They all said it's out of print.

amme

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:34 pm
You can get it on amazon though for insanely expensive if you buy it new as opposed to used (even used costs more than the cookbook originally sold for).

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:38 pm
My favourite by far is the Balabuste choice (green marble cover). It was the first thing I asked for a wedding present...it has a lot of basic good recipes in it and they all taste delicious and rarely fail.

Otherwise for looking good (tasting better but rather patchki recipes and expensive) is kosher elegance from efrat
also kosher by designs are good.
spice n spirit is also good

enjoy ur new recipe book whatever u chose Smile

imaima

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:42 pm
I have all of Kosher by Designs and I use Original, Teens and 20 smths and Celebrate most. They have a lot of recipes and gorgeous pictures.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics