Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A Vent: Because Our Post-dated Check Was Refused!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 8:51 pm
We moved our beds into different bedrooms because of illness in our family. And, because of that illness, we are having some 'cash-flow' problems. Anyways, I moved into a chilly room and need to buy a small space heater. We could only come up with a post-dated check. The (frum) storekeeper refused to accept the post-dated check!! shock The purchase was not for a butter dish, it was for a space heater! In the middle of a really cold winter!. Exploding anger I'm so mad. I walked out of the store with tears in my eyes. I feel so abandoned and I feel the 'world' outside is very, very cold. (On the other hand, I have other options. Like buying another hot water bottle. Or, two. When money eventually enters our checking account, I'll go to another store to buy a space heater- with cash in my pocket. Meanwhile, I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 8:59 pm
first, Hug

second, I don't think it's unreasonable for a store owner to require payment upon sale of goods. it would have been a tremendous kindness for him to accept your postdated check but you went into his store for a business transaction, not a chessed case.

third, is there anyone who can lend you the money short term? maybe there is a gemach in your area that lends space heaters?

lastly, Hug

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 9:06 pm
I'm a small, home based business and I accept post dated checks only once in a while from people I've known previously..... it's not comfy receiving post dated checks, speaking from the business owner's standpoint. You're out the product, AND the money..... you're SOL until you can put the check through but how do you replenish inventory, meanwhile? You need cash flow. For ONE $15 space heater, it's nothing, but imagine feeling the need to do that for lots and lots of people because hey, we're frum and we help each other out.

If you happen to be in Cleveland, I have 3-4 space heaters we're not using. When our twins were babies we felt it was more necessary to have more forced heat, but we're all happy with where we keep the thermostat and haven't used the space heaters in years. Wherever you live I'm sure you have a friend or neighbor who can spare one.... if you are in Cleveland (unlikely on this board, I know) -- pm me. Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 9:08 pm
sorry to tell u but as a landlord, post dated checks have been bouncing lately... Economy is TOUGH!

we are struggling for the past couple of months because of this..

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 10:46 am
The storeowner probably didn't think where you are coming from. I would call him on the phone and explain the situation, maybe he'll let you come back down with that post-dated check.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 11:10 am
I second looking into a gemach for heating options. It's either free, or a very small donation is required, and they sometimes lend a few heaters at a time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics