Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bais Yaakov of Lower East Side
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 2:16 pm
What do you know about this school?
How long have they been around?
Do they have a normal/competent hanhala?
I guess you could call me modern Yeshivish (though I detest all this labeling).
TIA

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 3:06 pm
Two of my sisters used to live on the East Side, and four of my nieces attended BY of LE.

The principal those days (I believe still is) was Rebetzin Kahan, who also directs Camp TBY. She is a very competent Menaheles and a very warm person too.

I had friends who taught there. It's a very warm, close knit type of school. My sisters were very satisfied on the whole. Just to give you an idea of the educational level and type, my nieces went from there to Prospect High School.

It's been around for a very long time. My nieces are already post high school.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
What do you know about this school?
How long have they been around?
Do they have a normal/competent hanhala?
I guess you could call me modern Yeshivish (though I detest all this labeling).
TIA

Went there way back. It was already considered a good school. It has been around at least half a century, however in more recent years they have majorly updated and have very current resources, equipment, methods, etc. They have a great reputation especially re. providing individual attention to each student. I know a few of the current teachers and they are really excellent, the others I can't vouch for just because I don't know them. Modern yeshivish would fit in great, they have a pretty diverse student body because it's a small community school - possibly someone extremely modern or extremely chasidish or something might not fit in but any middle range is probably represented there. When I was there and I think still now most of the students were the "JPF" (just plain frum) type!

HTH

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:27 pm
Thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know about transportation? Do they bus the kids to school?

Tzippora

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:35 pm
I went there! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I don't seem to remember the school arranging buses, though. The non-LES girls usually had some other form of transportation arranged, or took the subway when they were old enough.

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:46 pm
I know that last year there was a Brooklyn bus and an upper west side bus. I would imagine they still have the buses this year, although I may be wrong.

Yakira

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:55 pm
Tzipora, who are you? I went there too!

Its so funny because when I went there the school was struggling to survive. They were missing 3 grades close to mine and some classes had 6 or 7 girls in it. Then it got bigger, especially for the younger grades and the school finally filled up. And than, families starting moving out and people thought 'ok, this is it'. But the funny thing is that so many girls from Brooklyn go. The classes are full and I think one grade even has two classes! I was catching up with a cousin who moved from Israel to NY and asked, just for small talk, 'where do you send your girls' and she tells me BYLES. I was just rolling. Apparently, they have not just a mini-bus, but a FULL bus from Brooklyn.

The school is really great and Reb. Kahn is wonderful, in terms of a mechaneches. There is a nice mix of girls becuase thats what the LES is, although very MO girls wouldn't go there. The kids really are happy there. The teachers are generally young but good and very caring and theres a concert every year that like every single girl gets a solo or acting part in and you feel like a real star. (at least it was like that in my day). The Kindergarten teacher (I think shes still there) has been there forever and is fantastic.

If you have any other Qs, you can PM me and I'll try to answer them for you.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know about transportation? Do they bus the kids to school?

Yes.
If you're asking about a bus from Brooklyn, there is one but I'm not sure how it works as far as the parents having to pay extra/privately for it.

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:05 pm
There is a free bus from Brooklyn. It is private bus, not board of ed, so they have transportation on most legal holidays.
As far as the school. absolutely fantastic!!!
Teachers really care for kids and motivate them. My kid is still close to her teachers. even after she graduated.
I love that thye do not try to make kids into cookie cutter molds and encourage thinking. Which is very unusual for BY type schools.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:17 pm
smilingmom wrote:
There is a free bus from Brooklyn. It is private bus, not board of ed, so they have transportation on most legal holidays.
As far as the school. absolutely fantastic!!!
Teachers really care for kids and motivate them. My kid is still close to her teachers. even after she graduated.
I love that thye do not try to make kids into cookie cutter molds and encourage thinking. Which is very unusual for BY type schools.

Wow, it sounds really great!
Did you say "free " bus? That's awesome.
What grade do they go until?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:22 pm
I went there and my kids go there now. It's an amzing school! I don't know if it's free, but there is a Brooklyn bus and a West Side bus. Both are full.

I had 7 girls in my class at first, and it increased to 11. Now dd has 21 and next year they're expecting a few new kids in that class! I wonder if they'll split the class. My other dd has 18 kids in her class. They're both thriving, B"H.

Tzippora

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:24 pm
Yakira wrote:

Its so funny because when I went there the school was struggling to survive. They were missing 3 grades close to mine and some classes had 6 or 7 girls in it. Then it got bigger, especially for the younger grades and the school finally filled up. And than, families starting moving out and people thought 'ok, this is it'. But the funny thing is that so many girls from Brooklyn go. The classes are full and I think one grade even has two classes! I was catching up with a cousin who moved from Israel to NY and asked, just for small talk, 'where do you send your girls' and she tells me BYLES. I was just rolling. Apparently, they have not just a mini-bus, but a FULL bus from Brooklyn.

The school is really great and Reb. Kahn is wonderful, in terms of a mechaneches. There is a nice mix of girls becuase thats what the LES is, although very MO girls wouldn't go there. The kids really are happy there. The teachers are generally young but good and very caring and theres a concert every year that like every single girl gets a solo or acting part in and you feel like a real star. (at least it was like that in my day). The Kindergarten teacher (I think shes still there) has been there forever and is fantastic.

We must be close in age, because I had the same situation with grades close to mine! I'm 24, many of my classmates were 25, and I go by Tzippy. And I lived in the LES.

How about you?

Yakira

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:32 pm
Tzippora wrote:
Yakira wrote:

We must be close in age, because I had the same situation with grades close to mine! I'm 24, many of my classmates were 25, and I go by Tzippy. And I lived in the LES.

How about you?

LOL. I figured it must be you. I don't know if you remember, but we met at Rosa's pizza shop (in the Empire State Building) the friday after Thanksgiving. We were both with our husbands. If you still don't know, I'll PM you.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 11:32 am
OP here.
Does anyone have a current, working phone # for the school? The ones I found online were either out of service or consistently busy.
Thanks.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:08 pm
Their number is 212-473-4500. I think you should ask to speak to Reb. Kahn.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 11:11 am
the school sounds amazing. do they have a high school too?

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 11:21 am
No, its only an elementary school.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
the school sounds amazing. do they have a high school too?

Since they do not have a high school, I thought my DD would have a hard time adjusting from a small warm open-minded school to a large class in a BY type school.
Amazingly she made the transition easily and actually loves her BY type HS. I do however hope that she never turns into a typical BY girl and can maintain open mindedness.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 2:17 pm
What bothers me is that for all the supposed acceptance, they very much push a strong type of BY school and they threaten problems for people who try to send elsewhere.

lost

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:54 am
this school sounds amazing!!!! Where do most of the graduates go for High School though? Which High Schools does the school itself promote?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children