Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
? what can be done for chronic bad breath?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:08 pm
one of my kids has chronic halitosis. her breath always smells beyond horrible. she's been thoroughly examined by both the pediatrician and dentist and neither one found anything amiss or that could be causing it. we brush her teeth, palate, and tongue twice daily (her breath smells again a minute later), she is not a mouth breather, has no symptoms like sores, pain, congestion etc yet nothing seems to help her breath not smell. we tried all types of toothpaste. she'll eat a breath mint and not two minutes after finishing it, her breath smells nasty again. she even tried chewing parsley which is supposed to help - it helped for about a minute. it doesn't seem to be related to any food she eats or whether she has a cold or whatever. any ideas we haven't tried yet? it's driving me crazy!

skcomputer

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:04 pm
not a doctor, but here's what I learned from our pediatrician. Halitosis is either dental, sinus or digestive. If you've pursued dental, then you need to go to an ears nose and throat doctor and a gastroenterologist. For my daughter it was a gastro problem.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:43 pm
did your daughter have any symptoms other than the bad breath? my pedi does not want to refer her further because she has no symptoms indicating need for a gastro or ent.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:45 pm
I ve oftened noticed that when my kids are constipated, THere breath is often sour... When they eat fruit and some veggies, and the problem is resolved the bad breath goes away.

Not sure if this applies but I think good digestion helps with some breath issues....

paprika

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 8:58 pm
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
did your daughter have any symptoms other than the bad breath? my pedi does not want to refer her further because she has no symptoms indicating need for a gastro or ent.

I would insist that bad breath is a symptom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics