Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Frum woman on Jeopardy??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

lollygirl

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:43 pm
I was surprised Alex picked up her hand to show her ring. Also, I was wondering what she would do about shaking hands but she did. (Just stating, not judging)

centurion

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:52 pm
I'm surprised that Alex commented that people complained that yesterday's bonus question on the old testament was put there for her. Another contestant got the question right (and he was neither jewish nor, I'm assuming, xian) but nobody would question him if he would have won.

Riffy

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:03 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxvU5OWkr0Y

Here's part 2 :-)

pina colada

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:09 am
did she win any money?

Strawberry

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:47 am
lollygirl wrote:
I was surprised Alex picked up her hand to show her ring. Also, I was wondering what she would do about shaking hands but she did. (Just stating, not judging)

As her former student, I was disappointed to see her shake hands.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:12 am
I thought she did really well.

Raizle

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:15 am
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

It doesn't look like she was prepared for him to take her hand. He asked to see it so she lifted her hand and he took hold of it without warning. I wouldn't blame her as she was caught off gaurd.

Why are you calling her Alex, I thought her name was Gitta?

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:18 am
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

It doesn't look like she was prepared for him to take her hand. He asked to see it so she lifted her hand and he took hold of it without warning. I wouldn't blame her as she was caught off gaurd.

The host's name is Alex.

Strawberry

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:24 am
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

True. However, she shook hands with Alex on the first day and intiated a handshake with Tom the next day.

Raizle

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:30 am
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

True. However, she shook hands with Alex on the first day and intiated a handshake with Tom the next day.
Yep I was just coming back to take back my comment after watching till the end.

Not that I agree with shaking his hand in public but technically she hasn't done anything halachikly wrong because a) the problem is for the man and for a Jewish man at that
b) some say that if you are worried about shaming someone you are allowed to.
That said she could have taken the opportunity to explain and make a kiddush Hashem but maybe she was afraid that she would do the opposite and cause a chillul Hashem

Strawberry

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:46 am
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

Not that I agree with shaking his hand in public but technically she hasn't done anything halachikly wrong because a) the problem is for the man and for a Jewish man at that
That said she could have taken the opportunity to explain and make a kiddush Hashem but maybe she was afraid that she would do the opposite and cause a chillul Hashem

As I said before, it bothered me as a former student. She is a high school Bais Yaakov Hebrew studies teacher. If this happened when I was in her class, I doubt any of us students would have respected her/listened to her preach if this is how she behaves on TV/in public. She is supposed to be a role model and instead resorted to a kula while being broadcasted on TV.

Raizle

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:32 pm
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

As I said before, it bothered me as a former student. She is a high school Bais Yaakov Hebrew studies teacher. If this happened when I was in her class, I doubt any of us students would have respected her/listened to her preach if this is how she behaves on TV/in public. She is supposed to be a role model and instead resorted to a kula while being broadcasted on TV.

I do hear you even though I was trying to be dan l'kaf zchus. it would bother me too. And the more I think about it she didn't have to offer her hand, she could have nodded and smiled instead

amother

Post Fri, Jan 18 2013, 12:21 am
I heard she just won a lot of money on "who wants to be a millionaire". I tried finding it online, but couldn't. If anyone has a link, please post. Thanks!

Another, since I just discussed this with my siblings.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Jan 18 2013, 7:15 am
My family and I were filmed for a TV show and as soon as they realized we were Orthodox Jews they asked us a bunch of questions about what the host should do vis a vis our religious beliefs.
Ie: he can hug and shake hands with my DH and DS, but not with DD and me. It all looked very natural.

BTW, I do hug and shake hands with men other than my DH, if they initiate, but since they asked, I felt comfortable saying that he should not.

farm

Post Fri, Jan 18 2013, 1:42 pm
She won $53,100 on Millionaire. The show aired on Tuesday. Yay Gitty!

amother

Post Fri, Jan 18 2013, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
I heard she just won a lot of money on "who wants to be a millionaire". I tried finding it online, but couldn't. If anyone has a link, please post. Thanks!

Here you go:

https://twitter.com/Millionair.....oto/1

StrongIma

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 1:03 pm
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:

I totally agree with Strawberry - it seems that the youtubes have been taken down. I wonder if this could be the reason?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 5:40 pm
She's my neighbor! Hurray Mrs. Neufeld!

octopus

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 6:26 pm
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
Raizle wrote:
Strawberry wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

I do hear you even though I was trying to be dan l'kaf zchus. it would bother me too. And the more I think about it she didn't have to offer her hand, she could have nodded and smiled instead

shouldn't it bother you that you are criticizing a non-anonymous human being on a non-anonymous forum in an anonymous way?! How do you know how you would have acted in public? don't youthink it's a little over the top that you state you would've lost all respect because of this? ppl are complex. stop getting so hung up over yourself. She probably took down the link because she has imamother or one of her relatives is on imamother. How do you think Hashem is looking upon you right now, huh? whatever she did was done bein adam l'makom, but your PUBLIC critcism is a much worse sin. You may be anonymous here, but you are not anonymous to Hashem. It is still considered lashon hora. I just can't stand self righteous ppl. I'm so glad that you would've lost respect for your teacher in high school if you would've seen this. yet you still have a shred of self respect for yourself to publically criticize someone. this is a public forum ppl. if you had something to say you should've called her up yourself. you have a lot of chutzpah. and no, I don't know her in real life.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Here you go:

https://twitter.com/Millionair.....oto/1

Is there a video anywhere?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics