Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Onion Rolls from AMI - All Enjoyed
1  2  Next

Tova

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:01 pm
We tried this recipe from this past week's Ami. Everyone enjoyed. No rising of dough or sauteeing of onions required.

Dough:
2 cups warm water
4.5 tsp. dry yeast
6 Tbs. oil
2 tsp. salt
7 Tbs. sugar
6 cups flour

Filling:
1 large onion, finely diced
6 Tbs. oil (was too much; you can cut it to 4)
Yolk, for egg wash (I skipped this)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Toss onion with oil, set aside.
3) Combine all dough ingredients and knead until dough forms (I used a mixer). Divide dough in half. Cut each half into 12 pieces.
4) Roll out each individual piece of dough into a square or circle. Place 1 Tbs. of onion in the center Fold in the two ends. Add a little more onion on top (I did only one layer of onions because it didn't look like I had enough) and fold in the other two ends. Place seam side down on a lined baking pan. Repeat with remaining pieces and place all 12 rolls on the sheet. Repeat with second ball of dough.
5) Brush with beated egg yolk. Sprinkle the tops with additonal onions.
6) Bake for 35 minutes (I found the baking time to be spot on).

Yields 24 rolls

Before they went in the oven they looked kind of small, but they rose nicely (still ended up on the smaller side; I guess if you want larger you can cut the dough into 12 total pieces instead of 24) and were very soft.

3Qts

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:03 pm
Thanks for posting the recipe. I had it in mind to make it when I saw it in the Ami! Will try it today.

realeez

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:02 pm
I do this with my challah dough and really like it. It's pretty if you put the balls of dough in muffin tins - gets a great shape and is crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:13 pm
Thanks for posting the recipe Tova!
I misplaced my Ami before I had a chance to clip the recipes, and I know I wanted this one. (Do you remember which other recipes they featured this past week? Trying to figure out what I am missing.)

Tova

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:45 pm
ra_mom - I don't remember exactly, but nothing else interested me. That may not be saying much, however, because I like easy non-gourmet things. I will try to hunt it down later. It's sort of taken apart because I tear out the recipe pages I want and put in a binder with sheet protectors (sometimes covering up the back of one side with the back of another recipe if those recipes don't interest me.

Since I posted, my husband came home from yeshiva for lunch and I surprised him with these (gotta love snow days!). He also gave it a thumbs up and said they were the best onion rolls he ever tasted embarrassed .

Tova

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:53 pm
OK - ra-mom.

Other recipes were:

Penne with Lemon Cream Sauce
Poached Salmon
Citrus Tart (they showed it with that gadget that presses the dough into the tar pan)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:00 pm
Tova wrote:
OK - ra-mom.

Other recipes were:

Penne with Lemon Cream Sauce
Poached Salmon
Citrus Tart (they showed it with that gadget that presses the dough into the tar pan)
Thanks so much! Tongue Out
Now that I see the list in front of me, I remember that this was the only recipe that interested me as well.
Thanks again!

crush

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:33 pm
Wow! Thanks! I also remember that was the only one I liked and wanted, but forgot to take it from my in-laws after Shabbos.

be good

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 7:59 pm
bump! making this- if you are in ny you have just enough time to make it and break the fast with it!

Tova

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 8:11 pm
So funny - these are in my oven right now and smell great!

As I was making them I was thinking that I am not such a good recipe poster on imamother but once I made these once I posted the recipe.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 8:15 pm
Thanks for the bump! I think I'll make these tomorrow morning. wish I had energy tonight, but no...

sofaraway

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:06 pm
Oh, I made them for shavuos, they were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!

be good

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 9:03 pm
mmmm.
half whole wheat and still delicious.
thanks again!

bananasplit

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 9:14 pm
be good wrote:
mmmm.
half whole wheat and still delicious.
thanks again!

Oh good, I was wondering if it would be good with whole wheat, thanks!

bsm

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:13 pm
fold in the 2 ends like a triangle? or two ends from same side? sorry I am not getting the shape! thanks

sped

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:16 am
Would thus work in lousy oven that does not bake well or evenly?

Della

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:01 am
Do you wash on these?

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:14 am
1613 wrote:
fold in the 2 ends like a triangle? or two ends from same side? sorry I am not getting the shape! thanks

I am not getting the shape either. Could you please post a picture for those of us who need remedial instructions?

sped

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:12 pm
I just made them with ds (2.5) and they came out really good! I used light ww flour (70%). My oven is small so I baked them in two batches. Both were delicious, butthe second batch that waited around for about half an hour before being baked seems lighter.
We basically tried to "hide" the onions, as I explained to ds. We rolled it out and folded over the sides: first the two sides and then the top and the bottom. I folded them to the middle.

willow

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 10:56 am
Do you fry the onions?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads