Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Phone etiquette!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:54 am
If you are busy with something, (kids, cleaning, a project) do you answer the phone? If you do answer it, how do you act toward the caller?

I called someone with a 2 second question and ended up feeling like two cents! I had no idea, of course, that this person was busy! I asked the person my question and then just asked how they are doing...and ended up getting a really rude response!

I feel if someone is too busy to act properly to a caller, then just don't answer the phone...most of us have voicemail or an aswering machine. I personally would prefer to leave a message rather than being treated rudely!

What do you think?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:00 am
I agree or answer and say I'm really busy and will call you back when I can.

I have a SIL whom I NEVER call because every time we have a telephone conversation (no matter if it has lasted 2 minutes or 20 minutes) she cuts me off in mid-sentence to put down - even if she is the one who called me. I understand that she sometimes has to put down but don't just interupt my sentence and say "x so nice talking to you. Bye" and PUT down! Explain that you have to go or at least let the other person finish the sentence.

JMto2

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:07 am
I have the answering machine through the telephone company and even if I am on the phone it picks up if I am not in the modd of talking to someone I just let the machine pick up. or I pick up and say can I call you back I am busy now and I ask until what time and I say I will try to get back to them.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:08 am
I almost never answer. that's why the Good Lord made answering machines, for call screening.

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:14 am
this is one thing that I am working on to let the phone ring and not pick up. (it's hard work).
when I am busy I usally say hi, it's a bit hectic here now did you want s/t special or can I call you back later?

ceo

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:42 am
first off, why are you posting as amother? I think that this is an abuse of the feature.

ok, off my soapbox. Here's what I do: first off, I decide whether or not to answer the call. When I am doing something for work, I often just don't pick up. I read this in one of my time management books. If you say a phrase like, "What can I do for you?" it gives the caller the message that you need him/her to be direct. Sometimes, a person does really have a quick question and it's a big chesed if you can answer it for them at that time.

If I am on the calling end, I often start off with "I have a quick question for you?" Or "Is this a good time for you."

Also, I try to warn people. The other day a friend called. I said to her, "My kid is getting up from a nap in a few minutes, and I will have to excuse myself then."

I used to make phone calls for a weekly shiur, but I stopped, because I couldn't get off the phone with certain ppl! Also, there is one friend of mine who I find very difficult to have phone converstations with- I call her to ask her a quick question about a recipe, store, someone else's number, etc, and she tells me everything what's going on in her life!

There is another woman I know- I called her two weeks ago to tell her about a shiur I was organizing. First she talked to me for 8 minutes about her new Bosch mixer. Then about her job and babysitter. Then she said, "I have to go now" I didn't even get to tell her about the shiur because she didn't shut up! Rolling Eyes She is a nice person, but I find it difficult to spend time with her, for obvious reasons.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:09 pm
I posted as amother b/c I think (although not 100% sure) the woman who I spoke to posts on here, and I would prefer for her not to know my screen name if she does! ceo , I hope you understand. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy not to post as amother! Hope you all understand!

su7kids

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:15 pm
If I have a question, I usually say "is this a good time or are you in the middle of so mething".

But I do assume that if someone answers the phone, that means they have time to talk.

I also always ask if they're on the other line, because people tend to take call waiting even if they're on the other line.

Caller ID is great, cos then you can call the person back.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:57 pm
I totally agree. There if a also a person I call sometimes that I am related to a she does the smae thing. When she answers the phone she acts as if she is doing me a favor by answering the phone. I wish she would just tell me in the beinging that she only has a minute. Also this relative won't get an answering machine.

I love leaving messages, sometimes I'd rather do that than talk to the person.

Tefila

Post Tue, Oct 03 2006, 1:36 am
Quote:
I feel if someone is too busy to act properly to a caller, then just don't answer the phone...most of us have voicemail or an aswering machine. I personally would prefer to leave a message rather than being treated rudely!

What do you think?

I agree, once you pick up the phone you have to act civil otherwise don't bother answering Exclamation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette