Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Purim theme party favour for Bar Mitzvah
1  2  Next

Supermom#1

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 9:51 pm
I'm making a Bar Mitzvah iy"h close to Purim & I'm looking for a nice/cute idea for a party favour with a purim connection....& I don't mean a 'give out a megilllah' - more like something small to put out at each place setting for the women.

Also, any recommendations for a fairly priced party planner in BP for the kiddish?
TIA

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 9:55 pm
Graggers with a nice feathered mask like these: http://tinyurl.com/4l33rd9

And you can get the graggers personalized... http://tinyurl.com/4syeuap

culinaryk

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:12 pm
I was in the same situation last year. We bought little tefillin bags and put in a chocolate tefillin in a little gauze bag that said "ben sholosh esrai l'mitzvah" and his invitation and something else I just can't remember. It was really adorable.

Good luck!

Supermom#1

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:16 pm
Sounds cute, can you give a bit more details, like what materials you bought & where. also, can you give me an idea for a purim connection?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:17 pm
BTW... party planner for a kiddush?? Why?

Supermom#1

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:31 pm
extra expense, I know, & you're probably right. But I don't know where to start, not creative at all, & I dont have any supplies like bowls, trays, jars, pitchers, tableclothes, etc. I'm looking for a beginner, someone who has a flair for these things & who has her own supplies to set up & is reasonably priced. I would supply the cake, cookies & fruit.
Having someone help me with this would take a huge pressure off me & I'd be more free to enjoy my simcha.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:34 pm
Supermom#1 wrote:
extra expense, I know, & you're probably right. But I don't know where to start, not creative at all, & I dont have any supplies like bowls, trays, jars, pitchers, tableclothes, etc. I'm looking for a beginner, someone who has a flair for these things & who has her own supplies to set up & is reasonably priced. I would supply the cake, cookies & fruit.
Having someone help me with this would take a huge pressure off me & I'd be more free to enjoy my simcha.

IMO, you'd be better off simply hiring a caterer who would supply everything.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:59 pm
YESHASettler wrote:

Yesha - take into account where you live, and where the OP lives...

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:02 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I grew up in Brooklyn, my sister lives in the 5 Towns (and while I have more siblings, they haven't made bar mitzvahs yet) and neither one needed a planner for the Kiddush.

It was 'use one of the caterers the shul uses'... that was it.

Supermom#1

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:04 pm
Yesha, Cookie, let me clarify. I'm in BP. I'm Making a kiddush on shabbos & an evening dinner during the week. I don't need a caterer for shabbos cuz there's no seudah involved. I took a caterer for the weekday dinner. what I need now is a party planner who does small-scale parties. I'm not looking for anything over the top.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:05 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I grew up in Brooklyn, my sister lives in the 5 Towns (and while I have more siblings, they haven't made bar mitzvahs yet) and neither one needed a planner for the Kiddush.

It was 'use one of the caterers the shul uses'... that was it.

I hear you. My sister in London just made a bar-mitzva the likes of which I would never even imagine for my kids, and she also used a caterer, not a party planner. OTOH, she's very creative, and very good with these things. Maybe someone who isn't would feel the need for more... What do I know? My kiddushim are B"H pathetic!

Supermom#1

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:08 pm
cookie, see my post above yours

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:08 pm
I know that our shul doesn't allow home-cooked/baked items for in-shul kiddushes.

You might simply want to ask others who have made something who they use.

In addition, look online at places like Oriental Trading for papergoods. It may be cheaper to buy it all yourself.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 11:15 pm
BTW, I want to apologize. My question was not meant to start a debate or sound as judgmental as it may have come across.

4Sisters

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:01 am
http://www.4sisterssoaps.com/purim.htm

They can be personalized with the bar mitzvah boy's name and date and I'll give you a 10% discount for mentioning ImaMother! Smile

Mazal tov and hope you find the help you're looking for.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:08 am
I'm also not sure what OP needs is a party planner. My understanding is that a PP co-ordinates everything, but doesn't necessarily provide anything. A caterer, OTOH, would co-ordinate and provide food & paper goods (and centrepieces possibly) for a kiddush, so OP might get "more bang for her buck" going that route.

I totally understand wanting to enjoy your simcha!

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 6:45 am
YESHASettler wrote:
I know that our shul doesn't allow home-cooked/baked items for in-shul kiddushes.

You might simply want to ask others who have made something who they use.

In addition, look online at places like Oriental Trading for papergoods. It may be cheaper to buy it all yourself.

I've always been curious about that. I know our shul doesn't allow anything homemade. Our school doesn't allow homemade food for distribution to other kids. And so so so many women here say that they don't eat at others' homes unless they are very familiar with the person. How are so many women catering their own simchas at shuls?

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 6:48 am
Supermom#1 wrote:
I'm making a Bar Mitzvah iy"h close to Purim & I'm looking for a nice/cute idea for a party favour with a purim connection....& I don't mean a 'give out a megilllah' - more like something small to put out at each place setting for the women.

Also, any recommendations for a fairly priced party planner in BP for the kiddish?
TIA

For a Purim theme, centerpieces can be large baskets of food (shaloch manot) that will be donated to teh needy.

I like the idea of a gragger and mask at each plcesetting.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:49 am
How about a hamentash or a few mini ones wrapped up prettily at each place setting?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 8:19 am
I know of a party planner, but she lives in flatbush. Do you want her name?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics