Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Asthma moms I need your help!!!

imayekara

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 3:29 am
My son is on 4 puffs of budesonide a day ( budicort) , singulair and a nasal spray steroid once a day.
His gan ( nursery school) has been telling me that he is very full of energy and cant usually sit still.
He gets up during the mifgash ( circle time) and even when he is working one on one or eating he fidgits.
My son is 2 and 8 months. He has been on Asthma meds since he was 6 months old but this regimen for the last 4 or 5 months. Its really controlling his asthma well.

I dont know how much the steroids are influencing his behaviour, he was always a baby who did not sit still for long or just sit and play with a toy like my other baby does. But he has been on and off steroids since he was 6 months like I said. I would probably say he does have an already pre disposition to being hyperactive and that the meds make it worse, but by how much?

I have looked for studies on hyperactivity and asthma meds and the results seem to be that there is a correlation but its not significant, and the pre disposition cant be ruled out in the findings.

When I work at home one on one with him he is fine. He does have a lot of energy though.
I am also not sure how much his language barrier ie Hebrew as his second language affects the mix.
I am not sure where to start.
What are your experiences with your children who take regular meds??

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:08 am
I know I'm an adult, not a kid but I find the meds do make my heart race but it exhausts me.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:20 am
I'm an adult with ashtma for the past 15 years and yes, the steroids when I take them often make my hyper, jittery and nervous so it's normal. But everyone reacts differently and I take steroid inhalators which don't affect me, however when I have a bad attack like now and take oral prednisone, it can affect my nerves and sleep patterns.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 9:27 am
Have you tried any of the "more natural" remedies or behavioral remedies to complement his medication regimen? Both were tried on me as a child and adult and as a result, over time, we've been able to lower steroid use. Because asthma can become worse at different times of the year, asthma must be monitored closely all the time and dosages of meds changed with seasons. But here are some questions:

1. In the cold weather, do you have a humidifer around him all the time?
2. Is there an air purifier around him at all times?
3. Make sure that at school, there is not a sand box and dust/dirt around him.
4. Make sure that he is not sitting right next to a kid who may have pets at home (the pet dander could upset his breathing)
5. At recess/play time, make sure that he is not sent outside during times when it is very cold or during times of high pollen
6. Make sure he has a bath daily in the winter to help clear his lungs and in the spring time for the pollen
7. Does your doctor recommend, overall, that he learn to strengthen his long capacity (somewhat unrelated, but still) Some places have swimming lessons for kids with asthma. If they don't have special classes for kids with asthma, go with him (with medical clearance) and keep the albuterol handy.
8. Is he on allergy meds? Allergy is closely linked with breathing.
9. Do you use a peak-flow meter? Find out what his ideal lung capacity should be, and test it throughout the day, every day, for a few months so you can gauge where he should be and if the interventions are working.
10. Do you have a good pediatric pulmonologist?

Asthma is tough. It can also be lethal. It can affect learning if he doesn't have enough oxygen. That's why I commend you and say BRAVA!! for asking questions. I remember how awful it felt not to be able to breathe. What a wonderful mommy you are for checking.

Other questions:
1. Does he know how to use his inhaler correctly? If not, does he have the baggy add-along for the inhaler? (I can look for a picture if you need one)
2. Steroids in kids is never the best idea and always a last resort, which is why I suggested the above idea It does affect hyperactivity, growth, and also immunity.
3. Some people speak of the affects of mannukah honey, but I'm not one who advocates its use in children, and not for lung issues (I think it's great for adults in wound/infection and stomach issues)

Other suggestions:
1. If he has a rescue inhaler, SEW A POCKET INTO EACH OF HIS JACKETS or make a special spot in his backpack.
2. Make sure he wears a bracelet that says he has asthma. Again, G-d forbid, this needs to be a condition people knows he has.

THE BIGGEST THINGS TO ME: THE AIR PURIFIER WITH HEPA!!! (Expensive but the effects of the steroids can take their toll), THE HUMIDIFER (And buy the one with the VICKS disk--it works!!), AND see that the gan is vacuumed a lot. Oh!!! And there's a really good detergent you can buy for his clothes. Try every single non-steroidal method in the world first.

(Sorry my post was so long. I'm very passionate about this topic.) Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

mae1984

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 11:15 am
I was a kid (and am now an adult) with asthma. I know that ventolin used tomake me very hyper as a kid, and as an audylt turbutaline makes me very anxious and shaky. (Both reliever inhalors). I have played with my meds until I've found ones that don't have these affects on me.

As a side note, my Mother swears that cranio-sacral therapy really helped with my asthma. As a kid I was in and out og hospital once or twice a month, and once I started doing cranio-sacral I stopped having huge attacks.

greatfulmom

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 11:33 am
My son is on Pulmicort .5 ML twice a day. I don't find him to be hyper. I do find that it is maintaining his asthma well, so will keep him on it as long as necessary.

I do have a feeling though, that it is affecting his growth, as he is short and very petite in weight as well. Am really disturbed about this. But am more afraid of his asthma, then lack of growth.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 1:07 pm
No studies but my dc acts off the wall when taking pulmicort.

leowald

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:55 pm
Hi, The doctor told me straight out that the steriods could make my son hyper.
They did tell me though that I should not give it to him for more than 4-5 days at a time.
(I guess our case is different though as he only gets asthma attacks, when he is sick).

Hope this helps,

Leora
Purim-Cards.com

imayekara

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 12:25 pm
was at the pulmanologist today and he said it might be the singulair so we are gonna try go off that,
well see if it makes any difference
had a croup attack last night so back on oral steroids tonight..
sigh..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics