Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
[gentile] buying sefer?
1  2  Next

happy2beme

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:02 am
So a Rastafaria guy who works in the same office as me just called me up & asked if I know any jewish book stores around here (I don't) & he said " do u know where I can get the book "the way of G-d"? I had no clue what he was talking about & then realized he was talking about the sefer by the Ramchal- R' moshe chaim luzzato.

Would you tell him where he can get it?

I think it would be more fitting if he asked where he could buy a matisyahu cd! Wink

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 12:06 pm
I've had my Hispanic neighbours ask me where they can get books to learn Hebrew, and a Chumash.
It's a sign of Moshiach's times IMO ...When gentiles realize the true source of light Smile

chen

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 12:15 pm
one would hope so, but let's not forget that medieval Xian clergy had to learn hebrew to be able to twist the words of our own torah to use against us.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:46 pm
a sefer's a good thing.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 5:09 pm
chen wrote:
one would hope so, but let's not forget that medieval Xian clergy had to learn hebrew to be able to twist the words of our own torah to use against us.

good point. No such fears with this family though...

ny21

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 5:26 pm
A arab tenant once asked my family to get him a map of

Israel - they refused ./

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:12 pm
I don't know...what if the man doesn't know how to treat a sefer? What if he read it in the toilet or stored it on the floor?
Ask your rav

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 5:58 am
I have a good online friend who is not Jewish but wants very much to learn more because she is begining to see the holes in Christianity.
I give her advice about where to buy seforim but I tell her that the books are holy and musn't be thrown out or be on the floor etc.
You wouldn't believe these non jews. They try to do a Pesach seder, they build "tents" on Succos and they read from the Parsha every Saturday. They want to keep mitzvos because they love God. It's amazing. I keep telling her that as a non Jew she doesn't need to keep mitzvos but she really WANTS to. Rolling Eyes

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 8:47 am
it's weird though.

gigi

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 8:54 am
my husband just bought meam loez beraishi,s for a coworker, who was very interested in it.
they are mormons and her husband is a mormon priest.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:22 am
chocolate moose wrote:
it's weird though.

I agree. But, if you were to talk to this woman you would almost feel like you're talking to a yiddishe neshomo. Her motivations are so pure and she is so turned off by Christianity and the falseness of it all. She is a real "miskena" because she feels that she doesn't fit in anywhere. She's so jealous that I live in a kehilla with other people like myself... She only has her husband and kids.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:42 am
I would ask him what he wants it for. it is translated into english now, so it would be easy for him to read (though not to understand). my concern would really be that kabbala is in style. I'm really disturbed by the general interest, and wouldn't encourage it.

louche

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 12:14 pm
I resent kabbalah being "in style". All of a sudden the whole world wants a part of judaism--but do they want the nitty-gritty reality of kashering a kitchen for Pesach, not taking the car on Shabbos, or keeping kosher while on assignment in Fargo, North Dakotah? Of course not--they go straight for the "dessert" of mysticism. This year kabbalah, next year it'll be Taoism or Jainism or Scientology. Moichel Toives.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 12:24 pm
louche wrote:
I resent kabbalah being "in style". All of a sudden the whole world wants a part of judaism--but do they want the nitty-gritty reality of kashering a kitchen for Pesach, not taking the car on Shabbos, or keeping kosher while on assignment in Fargo, North Dakotah? Of course not--they go straight for the "dessert" of mysticism. This year kabbalah, next year it'll be Taoism or Jainism or Scientology. Moichel Toives.

Thumbs Up

I hate having to say not all Jews practice like Madonna, Madona isn't "very observant", no I don't wear a red string "to be like her", no not all Jews study Kabala, and anyway Berg's Kaballa is made up, and so on and so on... Madonna, Britney and Paris Hilton, Kabbalists????? I can't even express how I feel about that.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 12:47 pm
yes, berg's stuff is mostly made up. what I find disturbing is the use of the word "kabbalah" in reference to his self-promoting philosophy and as a marketing idea. have you guys seen the kabbalah energy drink? shock

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 2:30 pm
Now they have a kabbalah energy drink? LOL LOL LOL

Someone once sent me a link to an online store selling "red kabbalah strings" or something ridiculous like that. What a laugh.

You know, in Israel, also, it's becoming very trendy for the non religious to take up mysticism/kabbalah (sic). It really is fun. All this airy fairy stuff and no obligations. Like someone said - moichel toives. (But they're not asking us...). Have you any idea how many Israelis are looking for "spirituality"?
B"H some of them are arriving at the real thing but unfortunately, many are headed in the wrong direction thanks to people like Berg.

technic

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 2:33 pm
gigi wrote:
my husband just bought meam loez beraishi,s for a coworker, who was very interested in it.
they are mormons and her husband is a mormon priest.

they wont b inviting u over 4 coffee then Wink

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 2:41 pm
there are many non-jews interested in the bible of the jews and their ways ... why look at it as a bad thing ...

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 3:04 pm
I think it's a good thing that there are people looking for EMES.

MahPitom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 4:52 pm
I work with non jews mostly and the respect level for my religion is at an all time high. I got 8 days of Chanukah ecards and I am sick of royal blue.

It all depends on how you represent yourself, with dignity. And if you demand respect, they desperately crave the peace you get from that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics