Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sweet Potato Pie for Sheva Brachos- some questions

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 3:55 pm
I've made sweet potato pie before but never in such large quantities. I've never actually cooked anything for a sheva brachos before. Any ideas of the best way to go about it? Recipe for large quantity? What do I bake it in? Anything I can add that would make it look fancier then it actually is? Any advice would be great. TIA

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 4:02 pm
do you bake it in the pie crust, or is this just a pie filling? if it's a pie filling with a solid enough consistency, I'd probably do six times the original recipe and bake it in a few cookie sheets (not sure what your original recipe will yield. you have to do the calculations based on that). use a nice large cookie cutter to cut out pieces once the pie has cooled. I'd consider dusting the top with cinnamon. if you want it more for dessert, whipped cream first, then cinnamon. you may want to include a couple of thin slices of apple sticking out of it as well.

this is based on the assumption that your recipe is similar to pumpkin pie in flavor.

notme

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:08 pm
I have a recipe that calls for crushed pineapple on top. You could try that to make it look pretty, it's yummy too.

imabima

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 8:17 pm
Here are some ideas for decorating. I usually slice and apple in half, take out the core, and slice thin and lay the slices on top in a sun kind of shape. Each piece gets a slice of apple, sometimes dusted with cinnamon.

http://makinglifedelicious.com.....-pie/

reed

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 9:17 pm
I just made sweet potato pies in little pie shells for a sheva brachos. They came out really nice. And I was able to make them in advance - they freeze nicely. When using the little pie crusts, a little goes a long way. I made a triple batch and got something like 4 dozen mini sweet potato pies. (I used the recipe from Kosher by Design - Kids in the Kitchen, and I used the Unger's mini-pie shells.)

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 9:28 pm
reed wrote:
I just made sweet potato pies in little pie shells for a sheva brachos. They came out really nice. And I was able to make them in advance - they freeze nicely. When using the little pie crusts, a little goes a long way. I made a triple batch and got something like 4 dozen mini sweet potato pies. (I used the recipe from Kosher by Design - Kids in the Kitchen, and I used the Unger's mini-pie shells.)

Could you post the recipe that's the one kosher by design I don't have.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 10:39 am
reed wrote:

did you use mini disposable tin pans? where did you get them? did you just put the dough in the little pans and then pour in the pie and bake them? can you post the recipe please?

reed

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 11:15 am
smilingmom wrote:
reed wrote:

did you use mini disposable tin pans? where did you get them? did you just put the dough in the little pans and then pour in the pie and bake them? can you post the recipe please?

I used the mini pie shells that come ready-to-bake in little pans. I usually pop them out just before I serve them, but I've seen people serve them in the tins as-is.

See this link. They come 12 in a pack. It's available at most kosher supermarkets. (I'm pretty sure I paid less in the Brooklyn groceries.)
http://www.parkeastkosher.com/.....=8587

smilingmom

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 9:34 pm
Thanks for the link. What about the recipe, please?

rachelbg

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 10:13 pm
Hi, and Mazel Tov!

I always think that making anything in mini, individual size is cute and classy. Depending on the number of guests, can you make your recipe in cupcake tins and pop them out like that? I guess it also matters about the constancy of your pie...

Anyway, there's my two cents.

Good luck!

reed

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 11:36 pm
Sweet Potato Pie - KBD Kids in the Kitchen

1 15.75 oz) can sweet potatoes, or 1 cup mashed from a larger can (I often bake 1-2 sweet potaoes and scoop out the insides)
1 cup soymilk
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 (9 inch) ready-to-bake pie crust

Preheat oven to 400.
Drain and mash sweet potatoes.
Add remaining ingredients and mix till smooth.
Place pie crust on a cookie sheet. Pour batter into pie crust.
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes.

For little pies the baking time is shorter. Keep an eye on it after 20-30 minutes. I don't remember exactly how long.

The consistency isn't right for muffin tins. I sometimes put any leftover batter into muffin tins, but they don't pop out nicely. But the little crusts come out looking very pretty, and can be popped out of the little tins easily for serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes