Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kale!! what the heck do I do with it??

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 4:43 pm
So, somebody gave me a whole bunch of kale, and I'm excited to try something new, but I have NO IDEA how to cook it.

Googling, it looks like you sautee it in oil, then add liquid or broth, but I don't know what it should look like at any point during the process, or what it should taste like in the end.

Anybody have experience with kale and some pointers for a newbie? TIA!

morah

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:01 pm
Kale chips! Sprinkle individual leaves (minus the stems) with salt, pepper and olive oil and roast in the oven until crispy, about an hour at 350. A delicious and HEALTHY alternative to potato chips. Just make a huge batch and then pack into individual snack bags or serve as a side dish.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:05 pm
I usually see it as a plate decoration, but recently I saw recipes using kale to make a healthy snack. IIRC, its cut it up, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake till crispy.

Havent tried it yet, but let me know if u do.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:08 pm
I had an amazing salad the other day with raw kale, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and pine nuts- oh and sun dried tomatoes

cm

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:14 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I usually see it as a plate decoration, but recently I saw recipes using kale to make a healthy snack. IIRC, its cut it up, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake till crispy.

Havent tried it yet, but let me know if u do.

Sounds yum!

FYI, there are two general types of kale: curly kale used for garnish, and large flat leaves typically used in recipes. You can eat curly kale if you want to, and some people like it, but the flat type has a better texture for eating.

I chop kale and cook it up into a casserole/kugel, same as you would with spinach. In fact, I sometimes mix kale and spinach together. Kale is a little too strong-flavored for me to eat plain; I prefer it mixed with eggs/potato/cheese, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:29 pm
you CAN eat it raw. I';d cut it up small, though.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:32 pm
Kale has got to be one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. I recently started using it because it comes as part of my Community Shared Agriculture vegetable share.

I second the recommendation for kale chips. I also sautee it with onion and then add to past dishes like lasagna or spaghetti with feta cheese and garlic chips.

r_ch

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:55 pm
Oh, there's a Dutch dish with it. You sautee it till tender, I don't remember exactly, something like an hour, but it'll smell in the process, ok?Smile You boil and mash potatoes, then stir kale and mashed potato together and serve with a sausage and brown gravy.

lovely1

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 10:49 pm
I never use kale. Maybe I should try it. Does it have to be checked?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 11:50 pm
Just about everything has to be checked. Kale is a leafy green so I would check it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes