Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift from mother in law after giving birth or anytime
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 5:58 pm
What was the best gift from your mother/mother in law after childbirth-not that a gift is a given-but if you did get tone what was the nicest you've gotten? Also nicest gift from mother in law in general?? TIA

busydev

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:01 pm
well the only gift I was given from my mother in law was my kalla bracelet with a "welcome to the family"

I dont really expect to get many (any) more gifts. well other then hand-me-downs if I want them- but thats not really a gift.

gumdrop

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:07 pm
I got a nice perfume and body wash set after I had major surgery. That was the only gift I got from her to me personly since. I've gotten as a family some things or for my newborns.

It was a very nice gift.

behappysk

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:10 pm
My mil gave me a custom jewelry necklace and earing set a while back. It was a very nice gift. She also picks up some sweaters/t-shirts when she finds something nice on sale....

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:12 pm
When I was pg with my oldest DD, my MIL's A"H parents were living in Lakewood and my MIL used to visit them almost every Sunday. I used to pop in alot to keep my MIL company (her mother had Altzheimers). In Bubby's room there was this really comfy rocker/glider that I loved to sit in. It really supported my growing belly well!

The day I came home from the hospital, there was this ringing of my doorbell, and the local baby shop delivered the same type of rocker/glider set. My MIL A"H knew I found it comfortable, and it was perfect for nursing (especially late night - I often fell asleep in it!). It was a beautiful and caring gift from her.

More recently, when I sat there feeding my baby DD who is named after my MIL A"H, I thought of her and her gift to me. It has really warm memories.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:13 pm
My mil gave me when we got engaged me and my dh a leather jacket. The quality is not the best, but I still wear it today. She used to give me chocolate when I saw her because she knows I like it, but I told her to STOP!!! Smile

observer

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 7:29 pm
I don't recall receiving gifts from my mil.

mrshj

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 8:11 pm
Other than the typical gifts that she gave me as a kallah, I got nothing. Please don't flame me. Everybody in my circles gets them during the engagement.

But she would go on and on about the beautiful outfit that she got for her other granddaughter, who happens to be the exact same age as my daughter. I don't have a problem with that. Just don't tell me.

But she is a great MIL, I really love her. She gave me her son.

watermelon

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 9:45 pm
My mil gave me a pretty necklace and a nice vase with roses inside when we first met at my l'chaim.
She never gave me any sort of present for after a birth, a yom tov, my or dh's birthday or anniversary, and I dont expect it. She's not rich, and we're not chassidish!
Very rarely she'll give us some cash, once or twice she got my kids some clothing at a good deal.
She gives my kids toys and tchatchkes just about every time we see her though - they love her!

Bella:D

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 10:57 pm
My mother in law gives the best gifts!
When DH and I were dating she always got me nice gifts for my birthday or chanukah, things like a nice quality mascara or compact powder, a nail polish set, other gifts like this. She once got me perfume for my birthday when DH and I were engaged. The funny story was she asked my DH which perfume I like and I said that I like Calvin Klein Euphoria. My DH only remembered Calvin Klein and didn't remember which one so she smelled all of the Calvin Klein ones and got Euphoria because she thought it suited me best!
My mother in law also makes amazing birthday cakes for all of us every year.
I don't have kids yet so I didn't get any presents after a birth.
She got me a pearl necklace when I got married and she just got me a dutch oven for my birthday which I really wanted. She always brings presents back when she goes on vacation.
She is the best!
And she gave me her son!!

bh

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 11:50 pm
I got a nice perfume/ body lotion from mil when I gave birth. I really appreciated it.

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 4:57 am
I never got any gift from my inlaws after giving birth to any of my kids but the two main gifts I've had stick out in my memory -

1. given to me just before we got engaged - a suitcase!!! (do you think she was trying to tell me something??)

2. given to me just after we got married - an iron!!!! (same question!!!)

since then nada! Until a few years ago they were very generous to our kids and always brought them clothes and other things when they came to Israel but recently they've come empty-handed which makes me feel bad for the kids as they know that their cousins get gifts.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 5:17 am
The best thing she ever did for me was stay in our house after the birth of DS2 when I had an unexpected emergency CS. She stayed for 8 days and it meant the world to me. She looked after DS1 and kept the house tidy, made me tea etc. I was sick and had fever on top of recovering from the CS so it meant a lot to me. (I have no family where I live)

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:37 am
I didn't get anything after birth, but my MIL always gets me something for my birthday - usually something small but useful - and when she comes across something she knows I need she'll get it for me too, even if it's not my birthday or special occasion.

twentyone

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 12:19 pm
Except for all the gifts I got from mil when I was engaged she always gets me gifts when sho comes from a vacation, she gave me silverware, jewlery, lots of times perfumes and whenever she came to my house even just for a chanuka party she brings something like a minitaure for my curio, she also gives me cash on purim every year, after my baby which is her first granddaughter she bought me the bugaboo, and since she doesn't have any daughters she actually treats me like one! Also I was an only dil for a long while so she loves me and I absolutely love her, she is the best mil a dil can wish for!!

mommyla

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:00 pm
My in-laws don't do presents. For any of us or any occasion. It took me a while to get used to it - my family is very into gift-giving and it took quite a few birthdays and anniversaries for DH to get the message that that's what we do! (And no, I don't expect any fancy or expensive gifts, just something to celebrate the day.) I didn't get a phone call from a single in-law (including SILs/BILs) on my birthday, and my MIL once gave us a balloon on our anniversary - when we happened to be at their house for Shabbos.

I've gotten used to the fact that they do not give us anything, ever - but now I have a new problem. We live away from both my parents & in-laws, and whenever my parents come (or we visit) they give my kids gifts, buy new toys for their house, etc. My mother insists on paying for the kids' clothing, furniture, and gear as well (but I pick it). Even my aunt sends presents and cards for every birthday. From my in-laws - nada. And my kids are still too young to ask - but I know that they will compare (my sisters' kids do it) and want to know why one Bubby brings them stuff (not only on their birthdays) and the other Bubby doesn't even call or send a card for special occasions. Any advice?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 9:50 am
Honestly she is paying for my therapy It is expensive and she is so loving and never interferes and asks me questions she just pays

YoYo

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 11:13 am
My in laws aren't into b-days so much, but they will text/call to wish happy b-day. When they come to visit, my MIL brings small cute gifts - a new sweater, a cute hot water bottle... When we're visiting them she'll take me/send me to get my nails done. And she keeps her eyes out for things I might like. And the best thing of all: She gave me her son as my DH and loves me like a daughter!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 11:21 am
My inlaws came into some money and their last gift was a 35K+ check for our family....no complaints here!

Otherwise my MIL will sometimes buy toys for the kids, maybe some nicer towels, or a trinket item she knows I may enjoy. I don't even care about the gifts, my in-laws are wonderful people.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:36 pm
My MIL give me a nice check each year for my birthday. she also give us a check for our anniversary each year, and for yomim tovim. She also often gives cookbooks, books and and sometime housewares, like a pan or something.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics