Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD just diagnosed with IBS - Menu Ideas????

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 9:10 am
After suffering with stomach issues for a long time my 10 yr old was just diagnosed with IBS. The poor girl is so worried that her stomach will bother her, especially before going out somewhere, that she would rather not eat. Since being diagnosed she eats mostly fruits and vegetables since they don't bother her. Does anyone have any menu suggestions? She's a growing girl and needs to eat more along with the fruits and veggies!

skcomputer

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:11 pm
Look at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for food ideas. Several imamother's are on the diet for IBS and related issues. Here's one web site: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/ then look for other recipe web sites. When you look at the food list, it may seem restrictive, but there are plenty of fantastic recipes that will give a large variety.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 2:21 pm
I have been managing my ibs with diet since I was diagnosed. This is what I have found to be helpfuul:

1) Lots of water
2) Making sure to get more then adequate fiber
3) Most people can point to foods that trigger symptoms. For example, I am set off by things that are high in fat.
so I can modify most recipes to use low fat ingredients without giving up too much of what I like.
4) Anxiety will make it worse. If she can learn ways to relax she will feel better.

I hope this helps. A lot of it is trial and error.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 2:29 pm
I got IBS from eating too much take out food and other fatty foods after having my 3rd kid. The best way to get rid of eat is simply to eat healthy.

You can try peppermint tea or chamomile tea to ease digestion, canola oil or olive oil when cooking. Lots of fruits and veggies are perfect. She can try adding some raisins to her meals but slowly because they have lots of fiber.

Does she exercise? that is a must. Keeping the body moving also helps with digestion. Once she sees a difference then she should be okay. Just keep up the healthy eating and healthy exercise it's crucial.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics