Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What can I bake for mishloach manos?
1  2  Next

runninglate

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 10:49 pm
im looking for an idea for what to bake for mm this year. No themes! No frills! But I do want to give something homemade. Any ideas? Im looking for something a. Yummy b. Not a major patchka c. Presentable\ pretty looking. Tia!

mammele26

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:11 pm
Brownie bars- mini, not regular.

gumdrop

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:17 pm
Check out my thread "No fail hamentashen I guarentee.

I have a picture and recipe of my hamentashen. It is my mm for the last couple of years. It's homemade, delicous, easy to box and look pretty. Of course, I left out the main thing- it's appropiate.

runninglate

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:26 pm
thanks mamellah26 and gumdrop! I recently made brownie bars and they came out terrible. do you have a good recipe? gumdrop, my family is not big fans of hamentashen, and they are the main ones I' m making it for. but maybe I'll give it a try for dh. any other ideas?

mammele26

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:50 pm
I used the recipe from the Pupa Cookbook (The Balabusta's Choice). What recipe did you use?

runninglate

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:55 pm
a friend gave it to me. I have that cookbook, actually. do you know the page number? or the exact name? and you've made it?

yentadevosha

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 12:05 am
I've made those a few times, they always came out nice. Very yuummy and nice looking for mm.

Rosegarden

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 12:59 am
These brownies have been very popular and are very easy.
I cut them in triangle shape for MM
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon each baking powder, vanilla, salt
1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
Bake approx 30 mins at 350 degrees
Cut when warm

I also do these:
Choc Chip coconut bars (cut intriangles)
2 eggs
3/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 to 3/4 bag choc chips

Bake at 350 degrees till golden brown. Cut when warm

Last edited by Rosegarden on Sun, Mar 06 2011, 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total

culinaryk

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 1:03 am
Here is a recipe for outrageous brownie that is amazing. You can cut them out with round cookie cutter for an elegant shape:
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....ies/3

If you want something different you can do white chocolate lemon bars:

1 cup(s) Sugar
1 1/4 cup(s) Flour
1/3 cup(s) Butter Or Margarine Softened
3/4 cup(s) White Chocolate Chips
2 Eggs
1/4 cup(s) Lemon Juice
2 teaspoon(s) Freshly Grated Lemon Peel

Preparation
Heat oven to 350. Stir together 1 cup flour, and 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle white chips over hot crust.
Stir together eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel, remaining 1/4 cup flour, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in medium bowl. Carefully pour over chips and crust. Bake 15 minutes or until set. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack, sift with powdered sugar. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Or how about a delicious muffin?

Dini20

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 7:26 am
A mini muffin basket would be cute. I have a weight watchers recipe I use for chocolate chip muffins & I just substitute either cinnamon or blueberries for variety. If you want the recipe let me know.

mommy4

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 7:47 am
Dini20, please post your recipe.

Dini20

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:06 am
Weight Watchers muffins:
1 Cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1.Preheat oven to 400. Coat 12 muffin tinswith cooking spray.
2.Whisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3.separate the egg placing the whites in a medium bowl & the yolk in a large bowl. Set the whites aside. Add the brown sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla to the yolk. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the flour mixture & stir until well combined.
4.With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the whites until soft peaks form. Add to the batter along with the chocolate chips. Stir until well blended. Divide batter equally among the 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
For cinnamon mix brown sugar with cinnamon, put a little batter in each cup, put some cinnamon mixture & then more batter & cinnamon on top. For blueberry just substitute blueberries for choc chips.
5.Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the tins then remove muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

They don't even taste low fat - my kids love them!

mammele26

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:43 am
RR6178 wrote:
a friend gave it to me. I have that cookbook, actually. do you know the page number? or the exact name? and you've made it?

It's on page 262 (bottom) and it's called 'Brownie Bars'. When you make the slits, make them deepish, my friend told me by her it cracked when she cut them after baking. By me they didn't, so I think making deep slits is a good idea. Also, they say to cut slits 7" apart, I made them like 2" apart, because I wanted minis.

runninglate

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 12:32 pm
thanks everyone! Rosegarden, im gonna try the cocunut bars iyh . Can I get shredded coconut in reg grocery? Ive never seen it. What type of container?

Dini20

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 1:30 pm
It comes in a bag in the baking aisle.

aqua

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 1:40 pm
how about biscotti? I do choc-chip and they delicious and sooooo easy!

runninglate

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:21 pm
do u have a recipe, aqua?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 5:06 pm
Dini20 wrote:
Weight Watchers muffins:
1 Cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1.Preheat oven to 400. Coat 12 muffin tinswith cooking spray.
2.Whisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3.separate the egg placing the whites in a medium bowl & the yolk in a large bowl. Set the whites aside. Add the brown sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla to the yolk. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the flour mixture & stir until well combined.
4.With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the whites until soft peaks form. Add to the batter along with the chocolate chips. Stir until well blended. Divide batter equally among the 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
For cinnamon mix brown sugar with cinnamon, put a little batter in each cup, put some cinnamon mixture & then more batter & cinnamon on top. For blueberry just substitute blueberries for choc chips.
5.Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the tins then remove muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

those might need their own thread !!!
They don't even taste low fat - my kids love them!

runninglate

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:16 pm
rosegarden, two qs about the coconut brownies. A. Vanilla- is that sugar or extract? B. What kind of pan do u bake it in?

Rosegarden

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:45 pm
I use vanilla extract (essence) but you can also use vanilla sugar. I use a pan about !! inches by 8 inches (sorry we use metric over here) Doesnt need to be exact same size.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics