Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Accelerated Nursing Program
1  2  Next

4ofus

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:23 am
Does anyone know of any nursing program that takes under 2 years to complete and accepts a GED?

MommyZ

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:34 am
I only know of accelerated programs that accept students who already have a Bachelor's degree and are getting their BSN as a second degree.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 7:06 am
Try PACE in Manhattan. Rebbitzin Bulka's program gets it done quickly. 718-769-8160

4ofus

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:50 am
All I have is my GED, and I need to get a career ASAP.

Does Bulka have any financial aid available?

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:54 am
Yes. They have financial aid but you will have to pay extra for anything past 18 credits per semester. So if you're looking to do your BA in one year, think of 3 years worth of financial aid into one year... about $20k

4ofus

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 6:26 am
I spoke to Bulka, they said I can get my BSN in 2 1/2 years. I'm fine with just getting my associates, anyone know of any quicker programs?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 6:38 am
Beth Israel has an accelerated program, but I don't know about the GED part. I know that you don't need to have a Bachelor's degree first.

My niece just graduated from Beth Israel, and she is now working there as a nurse. She did it in 3 years, but there was a program for 2 years. And it's an associates degree.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:36 am
Have you called PACE? Maybe you don't need a BA but then you cut your masters down to half.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:54 am
My Community Health Nursing class is full of RNs with Associates Degrees who can't get jobs and are going back for their BSN.

4ofus

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:58 am
MommyZ wrote:
My Community Health Nursing class is full of RNs with Associates Degrees who can't get jobs and are going back for their BSN.

That's good to know, thanks! Smile What school are you in if you don't mind my asking?

MommyZ

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:07 am
Banana wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

That's good to know, thanks! Smile What school are you in if you don't mind my asking?

Lehman College Bronx

Unique

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:59 am
Beth Israel is an Associates program - takes 2 years. Just to let you know, the field is flooded with frum RN's, and it's extremely hard to find any jobs - despite what the media is portraying. Lots of us are going back to get BA's because you can't find a job anyways. The way things are now, for the most part, unless you graduate with experience (sarcasm) you can't find a job. Though there are always exceptions. It is also possible, the economy will improve in two years time. Just my two cents.

4ofus

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 6:31 pm
It seems to me that most fields right now are hard to get into. This seems like the quickest way for me to make some decent money and there is a lot of growth potential as well.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 6:45 pm
Unique wrote:
Beth Israel is an Associates program - takes 2 years. Just to let you know, the field is flooded with frum RN's, and it's extremely hard to find any jobs - despite what the media is portraying. Lots of us are going back to get BA's because you can't find a job anyways. The way things are now, for the most part, unless you graduate with experience (sarcasm) you can't find a job. Though there are always exceptions. It is also possible, the economy will improve in two years time. Just my two cents.

The field is not flooded with davka frum RN's. Almost no new grad RN's are being hired - frum, secular, gentile. Since there have been 7 hospitals that closed recently in the metropolitan area, and here we have the largest concentration of nursing schools, it is extremely difficult for a new grad to get a job as there are many experienced RN's seeking jobs. HOWEVER, this will change in the next few years. The majority of RN's will be in their 50-60's in the year 2012 and 2014 is a big retirement year. Demand for RN's is then expected to rebound at that time and it will be easy again to get a job. This happened several years ago as well.

That being said, a BSN (4 year nursing degree) is a lot more valuable than an associate RN, and it might become a requirement in the future to working as an RN. Also keep in mind that many hospitals are magnet certified, which means that they only hire nurses with a BSN.

The shortest program you will find that, upon graduation, will allow you to take the NCLEX (national registered nurse licensing test) takes minimum 2 years. Programs like those are Beth Israel, Touro, LICH, Kingsborough... They will give you an associate and then you can go on to do your BSN while you work (if you find a job). There are many on-site and online programs offering RN to BSN programs such as Downstate, Thomas Edison, Excelsior and LIU.

If you want to become a nurse and start working, but want to do it in less time, you might be a candidate for an LPN program - Licensed Practical Nurse. This kind of nurse is more limited to what they can do than an RN, but the job market is better. Pay is lower obviously, but usually you are part of a union and get great benefits. Once you become an LPN, you can do a program while you work to become an RN and then take the NCLEX. I'm sorry I can't give you info on LPN schools but I hear they take usually about a year or so.

Good luck! If you need any specific info you can PM me.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:27 pm
"easiest" lol

Sorry I am in nursing school, nothing easy about it... Granted I love it..

I am volunteering at a hospital, hoping they will like me and hire me when I am done. Granted I have heard lately that it's not a great hospital to work at, so I am looking to volunteer at two hospitals.. Smile

btw I know where everything is on the floor, and nurses ask me to get them things quite a bit Smile feels good

4ofus

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 4:15 am
I didn't mean easy regarding learning. I meant that it's the quickest to learn, has good pay with a lot of room for growth, great benefits and flexible hours.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 4:32 am
You really do have to shvitz until you graduate... and then it's very hard to find a job with respect to Shabbos and Yom Tov. My friend ended up doing medical billing at a nursing home!

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 11:42 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:
"easiest" lol

Sorry I am in nursing school, nothing easy about it... Granted I love it..

I am volunteering at a hospital, hoping they will like me and hire me when I am done. Granted I have heard lately that it's not a great hospital to work at, so I am looking to volunteer at two hospitals.. Smile

btw I know where everything is on the floor, and nurses ask me to get them things quite a bit Smile feels good

Great idea to volunteer. Make sure to make "friends" with the nurse recruiter and nurse manager on the floor. These days, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 11:47 am
Banana wrote:
I didn't mean easy regarding learning. I meant that it's the quickest to learn, has good pay with a lot of room for growth, great benefits and flexible hours.

I don't know about the flexible hours part. You have to do 8 or 12 hour shifts in hospitals or nursing homes, you rarely get to take a break and the work is physically draining as you're on your feet most of the day. In addition, you often have to work overtime without getting payed for it. Especially for new grads, you'll be lucky if you get a night shift at a hospital. While there are home care options, you need at least one year's full time experience at a hospital to get that job and there is loads of paperwork and commuting involved, not to mention some people feel it's a lonely job.

Nursing is a versatile field with a lot of options, but you have to be ready for backbreaking work. For sure in the beginning .

lollygirl

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 12:29 pm
If you want a job that's "the quickest to learn, has good pay with a lot of room for growth, great benefits and flexible hours", I do not suggest you pursue nursing. I know many nursing graduates who have grueling hours and since there are so many nurses currently, there is not tons of room for growth. It's a hard job and it seems you're looking to skip the "dirty work" and make great money.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries