Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Accelerated Nursing Program
Previous  1  2

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:29 pm
Not only that your working mostly with women, and believe me women can be very catty.

Where I am volunteering, u would not believe the cr*p that these women do to each other! I am B"H not into politics, but it does not matter. If someone decides they do not like you, they can make your life HELL.

I also agree, flexible hours?? Maybe after a couple of years of experience, a couple of certifications behind your name so that you can name your hours. But the first 2-4 (could be longer!) years, you take what you can get.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:38 pm
lollygirl wrote:
If you want a job that's "the quickest to learn, has good pay with a lot of room for growth, great benefits and flexible hours", I do not suggest you pursue nursing. I know many nursing graduates who have grueling hours and since there are so many nurses currently, there is not tons of room for growth. It's a hard job and it seems you're looking to skip the "dirty work" and make great money.

agreed... It's not an easy job, and with healthcare reform everyone is holding their breath as to what is going to happen in healthcare! Right now nurses have CNA's to help, but you still have to get in there and move patients and touch them and assess them and poke them (sometimes a couple of times a day). Draw blood, hang IV's, start IV's. If the CNA is busy, your changing the pt's bed if they had an accident.

And that's only part of your day. The other is documenting, contacting the doctor, etc etc.. Critical thinking what can be done for the pt to help them improve, and stating that in the chart. Thinking forward, it's a lot more complicated then people realize.

As a new grad you get the cr*p, you get the lowest rung of nursing. You want time off, forget it.

Doctors rely heavily on nurses for their assessment and needs of the patient. We are basically the ones that catch things, because doctors are in and out. My friend joked that the amount of knowledge needed to be a nurse, I might as well become a doctor!

4ofus

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 11:39 pm
lollygirl wrote:
If you want a job that's "the quickest to learn, has good pay with a lot of room for growth, great benefits and flexible hours", I do not suggest you pursue nursing. I know many nursing graduates who have grueling hours and since there are so many nurses currently, there is not tons of room for growth. It's a hard job and it seems you're looking to skip the "dirty work" and make great money.

Actually, I have 2 aunts, a brother-in- law and a friend that are all nurses. 2 of them graduated within the past year and got jobs after tons of interviews. One of them works 12 hour night shifts, 3 times a week and one is a home health care nurse. I know it's hard at first, I never said I wanted to skip the dirty work, but the starting pay is still great and eventually you do get more flexible hours. As far as room for growth, do a little research and you'll see how many different routes you can take.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:45 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
Not only that your working mostly with women, and believe me women can be very catty.

Where I am volunteering, u would not believe the cr*p that these women do to each other! I am B"H not into politics, but it does not matter. If someone decides they do not like you, they can make your life HELL.

I also agree, flexible hours?? Maybe after a couple of years of experience, a couple of certifications behind your name so that you can name your hours. But the first 2-4 (could be longer!) years, you take what you can get.

That's what happened to my DH (who is an RN) and it led him to quit his job.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:47 pm
Banana wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

Actually, I have 2 aunts, a brother-in- law and a friend that are all nurses. 2 of them graduated within the past year and got jobs after tons of interviews. One of them works 12 hour night shifts, 3 times a week and one is a home health care nurse. I know it's hard at first, I never said I wanted to skip the dirty work, but the starting pay is still great and eventually you do get more flexible hours. As far as room for growth, do a little research and you'll see how many different routes you can take.

I'm wondering if the 2 new grads got their associates or BSN? And if they had any previous experience or political pull. And if they're living in the tri-state area.

4ofus

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 7:01 am
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Banana wrote:
lollygirl wrote:

I'm wondering if the 2 new grads got their associates or BSN? And if they had any previous experience or political pull. And if they're living in the tri-state area.

They got their BSN, no experience and no pull.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 3:07 pm
A BSN is a lot more valuable than an associate's RN, which is what you are looking into. A BSN takes minimum 3 years if you start with nothing, and 1.5-3 years if you already have a BA in an unrelated field.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 11:27 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
A BSN is a lot more valuable than an associate's RN, which is what you are looking into. A BSN takes minimum 3 years if you start with nothing, and 1.5-3 years if you already have a BA in an unrelated field.

Don't you mean 3 years plus prerequisites?? Associates RN, is 2 years plus a 1-2 years of prereqs..

BSN there are more prereqs.. I am doing my ADN, and doing prereqs for my bachelors, because there are no jobs for ADN's anymore. But I do not have a competitive GPA, because I am an older student (long story rather not go into it). But right now I have a 3.8 GPA and most BSN programs in CA want a 4.0 of you want to be competitive. So I am doing the ADN to BSN, IY"H when I graduate...

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:46 pm
There are RN-BSN programs that take a year, once you have an associate's RN in 2 years, so that equals 3 years. For those with a BA in another field, there are accelerated BSN programs that can be completed in 15 months. The catch is that you have to have about 30 credits of pre-requisites, and if you haven't completed them in your unrelated BA, it can take you several semesters.

Sorry I don't know what an ADN is.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 6:37 pm
ADN = associates degree in nursing... You end up with an RN, so it's an RN to BSN program that I will do after 2 years of nursing
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries