Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real Food MM - What would you include?
1  2  3  Next

newmommy1

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 2:05 pm
I know there have been some threads about mm with real food vs. nosh already. I want to give out MM with real food but I'm not sure what to include. Last year I made a soup. People enjoyed it but I think some thought it was weird. I don't want to make challah rolls. Pareve quiche/kugels might work but I don't have any good recipes. I was thinking about making a nice salad with dressing on the side but I wasn't sure where I could get inexpensive containers for the dressing. What about cranberry apple crisp?
Any other ideas out there?

MrsMortgage

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:30 pm
The best real food mm I ever got was a homemade soup with some yummy onion rolls!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:37 pm
I don't know what the weather will be, but I would hesitate to send food that had to be kept refrigerated or frozen.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 4:40 pm
2 years ago, I made 3 kugels/cakes and last year, I made 3 dips, chummus, matbucha, and cm eggplant pepper dip. I gave it with a bakery roll.

obagys

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 4:57 pm
I don't give out "real food" but in the past we've been given sandwiches (like tuna), deli roll, kugels, salads, challah/rolls and quiches. My husband will usually eat the sandwich and/or salad for lunch on Purim day!

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:42 pm
I've made challah-apple kugels, sweet potato kugels and Yerushalmi kugels. (None are especially healthy, but they would belong on a table rather than a nosh cabinet.)

When I was in seminary, I gave my roomies fresh mini pitot with a little tub of hummus and a baggie of carrot sticks. Lunch for when you don't have time to make your own.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:53 pm
Small jar of olives is nice and non-perishable -- and ready-made.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:55 pm
You could also do a fruit salad or cut up fruit.

good wifey

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 6:58 pm
In the past I've done mini coffee bunts with a ready stick packet coffee.

Another time I did vegetable filled hamantashen.

My mom makes the traditional old fashioned hamantashen. Or home made truffle chocolates in Purim theme shapes.

I get a slice of marinated fish every purim from one friend. And onion rolls with 2 color dips from another.

When I remind myself of more, ill be back to post them imyh.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:06 pm
MrsMortgage wrote:
The best real food mm I ever got was a homemade soup with some yummy onion rolls!

I've done that the past 2 years and people really enjoyed it on Purim day itself. I got lots of good feedback about it.

I like getting real food on Purim I eat it, and I get my kids to eat it as well (I make it exciting - like we get to eat our MM now)

My favourites last year were:

salad with diced deli or grilled chicken cutlets on top (packed seperately so they are 2 seperate minim). the dressings are normally in these little cups with covers, like they give at take out places.

Baby carrots, chumus cups and flat bread

Lukshen kugel

Apple cobbler

garlic nots with techina and oil dipping sauce

Meat Roll (from my MIL) that we didn't eat on Purim but froze for shabbos.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

imabima

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:07 pm
I hope no one who knows me reads this!

The last few years, I've made an olive cilantro dip, chumus,and given it with baby carrots, hamataschen, and crackers. When Purim was erev Shabbos, I gave challahs also. I like to give real food and feedback is that everyone likes it! I buy containers at the dollar store where it's $1 for 5 or 6 small containers. In terms of refrigeration, if you freeze things and deliver them frozen, they will most likely still be frozen or be thawing out but still perfectly cold.

Ronit

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:24 pm
I've gotten dips & rolls. It was very much enjoyed. In fact any real food is enjoyed.

Your salad idea is good, but include something like rolls or bread sticks with it.

Breakfast sandwiches, blintzes or pancakes are also great, but that's only if you can do things last minute & deliver in the am.

A smoked fish, or lox platter is also nice. Same with cold cuts. Depend what your budget plan is.

I've gotten a bread basket with different cheeses.

Potato kugel is nice anytime, it can always be frozen.

Ronit

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:25 pm
I forgot about sushi.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:36 pm
I remember the BEST MM when I was growing up was a nice little VEGETABLE sticks platter with dressing (and probably another bracha food as well) -
so nice to get when u r surrounded by all that junk!

gumdrop

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:47 pm
I've gotten homemade chickpeas- delicious.

Any fruit pie is good.

I get from a sil a some kind of easy desert in a pie crust

Tapuzi

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:54 pm
I once did a small tin of baked ziti and garlic bread

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 1:54 am
I think this year I'm doing a mini-loaf of whole wheat oatmeal bread, homemade strawberry jam, and ? Should be fun!!!! Smile

ray family

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 2:55 am
imabima wrote:

The last few years, I've made an olive cilantro dip, chumus,and given it with baby carrots, hamataschen, and crackers. When Purim was erev Shabbos, I gave challahs also. I like to give real food and feedback is that everyone likes it! I buy containers at the dollar store where it's $1 for 5 or 6 small containers. In terms of refrigeration, if you freeze things and deliver them frozen, they will most likely still be frozen or be thawing out but still perfectly cold.

can I ask for the recipe for the olive cilantro dip?

imabima

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 6:16 am
ray family wrote:
imabima wrote:

can I ask for the recipe for the olive cilantro dip?

Sure! One jar of green olives with pimentos, the bigger jar (I think it ends up being about 2+ cups of drained olives) rinsed, 1-2 bunches of fresh cilantro depending on size and taste, about 1/3 cup mayo. Layer cilantro, olives, mayo from bottom up in food processor, process away, and you're done! Put the cilantro on the bottom so the weight of the olives will force it into the blade.

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 7:11 am
Last year, I made pita chips, cut up some veggies and added a scoop of chummus
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics