Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What do you feed your lactose intolerant child?

mommalah

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 11:18 am
I'm pretty sure ddd is lactose intolerant. We've kept her from eating any dairy for the past few days and there have been no more complaints of tummy ache. I now realize how much dairy we actually eat because there is almost nothing for her to eat during mealtime. She dislikes, tuna, salmon, chicken, eggs. She will occasionally eat meatballs and sometimes lentil/pea soup. What else can I offer her. She is hungry at every meal because she is eating almost no protein. All she wants is carbs all day.

What do you give your lactose intolerant child?
Also, I need to ensure she gets enough calcium now that she is off milk. She hates broccoli/kale though. Any suggestions of what I can give her?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 11:20 am
That's really hard that she doesn't like all those proteins. Maybe try some more bean options. As for calcium, how about soy milk? Soy yogurt?

mommalah

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 11:45 am
Fabulous wrote:
That's really hard that she doesn't like all those proteins. Maybe try some more bean options. As for calcium, how about soy milk? Soy yogurt?

Yea, she is really picky....
Out of desperation, she had some beans from a can yesterday. Is there calcium in soy milk/products or is it just fortified? To make a bad situation worse, my oldest dd has also been complaining of stomach pain. She wants to try to go off dairy as well....
I guess no more lasagna for us. Exploding anger

Fabulous

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 11:49 am
There is calcium in soy yogurt for sure (plus the healthy cultures) and I think in soy milk as well. You can also make lasagna with a pareve cheese form whole foods, forgot what it's called. It starts with a D, if you want info, I will find out.

obagys

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 12:01 pm
What about Lactaid products?

elmos

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 12:39 pm
If they can have soy use soy milk or soy chese like tofutti or others which hav protien many are fortified with calcium and stuff. The trick is making veggies fun sometimes putting it into different forms like spinach patty. My son is dairy and soy free I serve him pancakes made with ricemilk french toast dry ceral I kep trying to give him eggs for breakfast lunch is fleishig as he is to young for fish veggies beans are a big thing wether straight or as falafel balls chumus etc....
would they eat chumus on bread or crackers.
I make carrot and zuchinni muffins to go with meals or as snack.
good luck but I was lactose intolerant as a kid and lactaid was a lifesaver

skcomputer

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 12:48 pm
Hard cheeses, such as cheddar, are virtually lactose free and can be tolerated well by people who are lactose-intolerant. You can shred and make pizza, mac and cheese, etc.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 12:51 pm
elmos wrote:
If they can have soy use soy milk or soy chese like tofutti or others which hav protien many are fortified with calcium and stuff. The trick is making veggies fun sometimes putting it into different forms like spinach patty. My son is dairy and soy free I serve him pancakes made with ricemilk french toast dry ceral I kep trying to give him eggs for breakfast lunch is fleishig as he is to young for fish veggies beans are a big thing wether straight or as falafel balls chumus etc....
would they eat chumus on bread or crackers.
I make carrot and zuchinni muffins to go with meals or as snack.
good luck but I was lactose intolerant as a kid and lactaid was a lifesaver

Yes, chummus! Forgot about that. For awhile ds was eating chummus with crackers (I would dip a piece a bit bigger than a cheerio into a ton of chummus and feed it to him) almost every day. It has a lot of protein.

Kayza

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 10:02 pm
mommalah wrote:
Is there calcium in soy milk/products or is it just fortified? To make a bad situation worse, my oldest dd has also been complaining of stomach pain. She wants to try to go off dairy as well....
I guess no more lasagna for us. Exploding anger

The good news is that many people who are lactose intolerant can handle hard cheese, so that's worth looking into.

Sardines and dark green leafy vegetables are good sources of calcium.

drumjj

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:07 am
im lactose intollerant and cant have cheese. we eat meaty every day almost because I also have a daughter who is dairy and soya free. but I started to make pizza without cheese on it. and we have meatballs, shepards pie, bolognaise, shnitzels, pasta, burekas with potato, cuscous. and stuff like that

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 1:10 pm
drumjj wrote:
im lactose intollerant and cant have cheese. we eat meaty every day almost because I also have a daughter who is dairy and soya free. but I started to make pizza without cheese on it. and we have meatballs, shepards pie, bolognaise, shnitzels, pasta, burekas with potato, cuscous. and stuff like that
We also eat meaty every day because our daughter is dairy and soy free.
What do you use as a protein topping for pizza made without cheese?

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 2:31 pm
We've been dealing with lactose issues for years!
DH is lactose intolerant, I'm mildly so (small amounts of cream cheese/ice cream don't bother me, but I need to drink Lactaid milk or take lactaid pills if I want 'second helpings'), and DD is also lactose intolerant.

Just to break in with the scientific aspect of lactose intolerance, lactose is milk sugar. The human body produces an enzyme called lactase in copious amounts in infancy in order for newborns to safely nurse. As people age, the amount of lactase enzyme that they produce is lowered (b/c nursing stops being the primary method of nutrition). As a result, technically, the people who CAN eat large quantities of lactose are the 'abnormal' ones. Also keep in mind that people are not baby cows. Calves are designed to drink calves milk.

That being said, there are some things to keep in mind with regard to dairy. First off, remember, your mileage can vary with regards to what sets off 'tummy troubles.' One child might be able to eat pizza with cheese but get sick eating the ricotta in lasagna, while another child might not even tolerate hard cheeses. Soft cheeses are highest in lactose (as are certain cheese snacks which have lactose ADDED in during manufacturing.) Yogurts are very low in lactose (b/c they are cultured) and hard cheeses (cheddar for example) are also on the lower side with regard to the amount of lactose.

How old is your DD? If she's a finicky 5 year old than deal with her food jags the same way you would if she was only wanting to eat Snickers bars and M&Ms. If she is 15, and more 'set in her stubborn ways' you'll have less control of the situation.

Also, our pediatrician recommended vitamins for DC. We like Shaklee Baby vitamins for baby's and toddlers, Freeda vitamins for those who can swallow a pill, and Ocean Wonders for chewable vitamins.

http://www.shaklee.com/products.php?sku=20001

They're slightly pricey, but they have a hechsher, essential vitamins, gluten and dairy free, and no artificial sugars.

el2cg

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:18 pm
my ds is lactose intolerant. I use lactose free milk. He is not so sensitive, so I do put a bit of motzerella cheese on is pizza..otherwise I cook meat/ parve or skip the cheese when I serve him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics