Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Denouncing Israeli Citizenship

alikov

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 12:26 pm
My husband and I are moving back to the States in a few weeks and we need to denounce our daughter's Israeli citizenship (she was born here). How do we go about it? Do we have to make an appointment at the Misrad Hapanim or can we just go during regular business hours?

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 12:34 pm
I think you mean 'renounce'... as in reject. It's quite easy to 'denounce' (as in condemn or criticize) the citizenship... Smile

Sherri

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 12:37 pm
I don't know how you go about it, but why do you have to renounce the citizenship?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 12:40 pm
Sherri wrote:
I don't know how you go about it, but why do you have to renounce the citizenship?

she probably doesn't want to have to deal with the army.

OP, I think you have to go to the embassy.

shabri

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 12:41 pm
Unless you or your husband are Israeli citizens, your daughter regardless of where she was born is not. Therefore, there is no reason to renounce. If you or DH are Israeli citizens, then she is as well, as will any children born in the US be.

alikov

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 1:45 pm
Sorry, I meant renounce. I think you still have to renounce it even if both parents are American, otherwise she will have a problem with the army later on.

intrigued

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 1:47 pm
I know someone who did it but I believe you have to be over a certain age to do it.

joy613

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 1:59 pm
alikov wrote:
Sorry, I meant renounce. I think you still have to renounce it even if both parents are American, otherwise she will have a problem with the army later on.

I'm confused. Did you and your husband both make aliyah?
If both parents are American who never became Israeli citizens, your child is not an Israeli citizen. So there would be nothing to renounce.

Mom2girls

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:17 pm
shabri wrote:
Unless you or your husband are Israeli citizens, your daughter regardless of where she was born is not. Therefore, there is no reason to renounce. If you or DH are Israeli citizens, then she is as well, as will any children born in the US be.

dh and I are not israeli, but our dd who was born in israel became automatically israeli, and dh went to do "bitul ezrachut" right away, don't remember where but prob. misrad hapnim

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:52 pm
Maybe before making an appointment with Misrad Hapnim you should contact Nefesh B'Nefesh for advice.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:41 pm
Mom2girls wrote:
shabri wrote:

dh and I are not israeli, but our dd who was born in israel became automatically israeli, and dh went to do "bitul ezrachut" right away, don't remember where but prob. misrad hapnim

This is correct.
When our older kids were born in Israel, we were not yet citizens, but our babies became citizens automatically.
I think you can renounce the citizenship when you go to the embassy to register the birth and apply for a passport and social security. Look on the website or call.

CutiePatutie

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 6:32 pm
both dh and I are NOT israeli citizens, we are here on student visas. I gave birth to two children here, one recently and one 2 yrs ago, and the same thing happened with both. when I went to the misrad hapnim to get their birth certificates, I told them I would like to renounce their citizenship and both times I was told there is no need to do that, since neither dh or I are israeli. BUT since I know this country very well, and since, unfortunately, the law can change many many times, I asked them for a letter that states that my child is not a citizen. the cost of the letter is 80 shekel, a small price to pay considering what could happen. When you get the birth certificate ASK THEM for the letter, they will not offer it to you. hatzlacha.

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 12:56 am
Israeli citizenship is not conferred by birth! Otherwise there wouldn't be a question of the children of foreign workers. Israeli citizenship is determined by the citizenship of the parents. If the parent(s) are not citizens then neither is the child. It really is that simple.

joy613

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 3:51 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Mom2girls wrote:
shabri wrote:

This is correct.
When our older kids were born in Israel, we were not yet citizens, but our babies became citizens automatically.
I think you can renounce the citizenship when you go to the embassy to register the birth and apply for a passport and social security. Look on the website or call.

You both must have had kids a long time ago. That rule doesn't apply anymore. A child born in Israel to parents who are both not Israeli will not become citizens automatically.

Mom2girls

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 7:42 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Mom2girls wrote:
shabri wrote:

This is correct.

You both must have had kids a long time ago. That rule doesn't apply anymore. A child born in Israel to parents who are both not Israeli will not become citizens automatically.

10 years ago

Sherri

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 8:37 am
Fabulous wrote:
Sherri wrote:

she probably doesn't want to have to deal with the army.
I don't think that's an issue.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:04 am
someone told me that she paid something like 83 shekels to get the paper stating that her newborn isnt israeli, and no, they are both not israeli

if you want, let me know and I can try asking her where she did it

trafficgal

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:38 pm
It cost about $100usd and a visit to the consulate and then an aplication
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions