Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How lazy or stupid have we become: SKINLESS chicken breasts
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:11 pm
In Kosher Supermarkets in BP you pay about 2.50 a pound for cut up chicken with bones (if theyre on special you pay less), and 3.99 for boneless chicken breasts.

Now there's a new offering- there's SKINLESS chicken breasts, for 3.69 a pound. Ha! Boning chicken takes time, so the fact that theyre more expensive makes sense. But cant anyone with a hand and half a brain take skin off the chicken breasts themselves?

Oh brother(or should I say sister?)! How lazy have we become?

(Attention all women whose husbands shop for them occasionally: Alert husbands to the new offering at 3.69. Package is marked SKINLESS breasts and it has the bones!)

Is this a new thing or have I just not noticed?

I easily solved the deboning problem watching a 2 minute Youtube video on how to bone a chicken, but paid extra to not have to rip off skin, which I could have done in a second. Well I have bones now for soup, which I rarely use.
Scratching Head

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:44 pm
Well, some women during pregnancy cannot handle the touch/smell of raw chicken. I can see this option being very good - freeze and then put in a pan with a sauce/spices and you don't have to worry about de-skinning. So what may seem luxurious to someone that can take the minute or two it takes to de-skin, it may make someone's life much easier and worth the extra money.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:50 pm
Sorry OP, have you noticed buying a whole chicken and cutting in 1/4s or 1/8s is usually cheaper than buying cut-up chicken pieces. That's another product catering to lazy or stupid consumers.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 3:57 pm
First of all they have been selling skinless chicken for years . secondly when I am pregnant, like I am now, if I even attempt to take skin off of raw chicken I will be throwing up everywhere!!this whole post makes my nauesous hearing about deboning chicken and chicken skin burffff Puke when I was preg with my first we bought whole chicken my Dh cut it into 8ths and deskinned it for me, but those were the kollel days now he works and learns and is too busy to help me in the kitchen.
(I make fish evey shabbos and throw up everytime I take it out of the package and handle it)

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:06 pm
my dad has a meat store, and people are constantly asking him to "remove the skin and they are willing to pay for it". He does not sell chicken that way, but if you wait an extra minute, you can have one of the workers remove it for you. (It should cost more because its "extra labor" for them + it weighs less on the scale.)

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:08 pm
where do you live?

we have ready chicken breasts for years... now they even have ready thinned- you don't have to slice them or knock them.

chicken breasts are 3.50 a pound family pack, sometimes a bit less on sale, ready thinned is a lot more but I have gotten it for 4 dollars a pound on sale. I mainly used it when I was in my nauseous stage and it was a lot cheaper than buying takeout. if I would have had to stand there cleaning chickens we wouldn't have had supper.

I did use chicken bottoms too but those I just threw into a pan and baked, didn't touch em.

obagys

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:23 pm
They will sell whatever people are willing to buy. There are a lot of products out there that cost more simply because they do the extra work for you. Call it lazy, call it busy, whatever you want - people like things ready made and are willing to pay for it!

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:34 pm
I have never heard of chicken breast sold with the skin on. its always skinless where I shop. I usually buy the thin-sliced version. I wonder where you shop, OP.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:36 pm
also, 3.69 a pound for boneless skinless chicken breasts? wow, thats dirt cheap. I pay 5.99 or 6.99 a pound.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 4:41 pm
gold, she doesn't mean cutlets. She means breasts on the bone (that then they skin but keep on the bone).

You're in NY and you pay $5.99 for cutlets? I'm surprised - I always see them advertised less than you can get here (I don't usually pay more than $4.49 and can even get at $3.99 sometimes).

nylon

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 5:04 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Sorry OP, have you noticed buying a whole chicken and cutting in 1/4s or 1/8s is usually cheaper than buying cut-up chicken pieces. That's another product catering to lazy or stupid consumers.

Depends where you live - whole broiler or 1/8s is exactly the same price here. I buy whichever I'm planning to use because the ready cut ones are easier to store.

Boneless skinless breast (Empire) is $6.49 here!

I got skinless but not boneless thighs once and got a nasty surprise when I opened the package (I'd assumed that skinless was boneless). I will pay extra to have thighs boned because it's tricky to remove the bones while leaving the meat in one piece, but the skin pulls right off.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 5:18 pm
ok tova, im not familiar with that type of chicken I guess? unless were talking about the standard "chicken on the bone"? dunno. grew up with chicken-on-the-bone and now only use chicken cutlets, as I get kinda grossed out by bones etc.

with regard to price: you can get it cheaper, I think its 4.99 in the kollel store (if youre familiar with that store). but because the chicken isnt as clean as I would like and I get grossed out very easily unfortunately, I spend more for cleaner chicken. ( im not like some spoiled chicken-snob, im really truly sensitive to chicken and meat and everything.)

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 6:00 pm
Cutlets and skinless chicken are really not that much more expensive. You're not really paying that much for the labor. When you buy chicken bottoms, you are also paying for partly for the garbage (the skin and bones), once they remove the skin you're left with basicly only chicken and thats why they charge more per lb.
If you buy 1 lb. of chicken cutlets for $5 a lb. you are getting 100% chicken. When you buy 1 lb. of bottoms for 2.50 a lb, you are only getting about half a lb. of chicken. So it almost evens out.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 6:16 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

or people who dont use a whole chicken. in our house we dont eat chicken breasts, so why should I waste my money on something I dont need?

normama

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 7:14 pm
oh to live in NY!! here it's usually closer to $6/lb for boneless skinless... such a luxury.
but they've always existed, even out of town.

FunNsmart1

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 7:31 pm
I happen to do the deboning myself, but that is because my husband (6'2 and 145 lbs) likes the gribeniss, and I use the bones for soup. But we were discussing it recently. When the store takes off the skin, they are paying about 40 cents a chicken for the labor. Plus they are losing the weight of the skin. They throw that straight to the garbage, which means that they are paying for the garbage removal as well. It does make sense for them to charge more, but I am not one to buy those chickens. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 8:13 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
OP here. In BP the price of whole and cut up chicken is pretty much the same, where I shop.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 9:52 pm
OP do you mean chicken bottoms not chicken breast? I only buy chicken breast as sliced cutlets. Mayb eyou mean skinless chicken bottoms?

Bliss

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 9:59 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
OP do you mean chicken bottoms not chicken breast? I only buy chicken breast as sliced cutlets. Mayb eyou mean skinless chicken bottoms?

I had to reread the title a few times. Something didn't make sense.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 10:17 pm
idk when u were born but all I do k is that ever since im a kid we gor boneless/skinless chicken breast yes s/t my parents did it themeselves (if they bought a wholechicken and didnt ask for it to be cut) but most of the time it was bought as cutlets!
So good morning to you. and yes its more $ but as another poster said u get all chicken no garbage so u pay for it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics