Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Do car seats have to be replaced after accidents?

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:00 am
my car was involved in an accident while parked on the street. ds's car seat was in the car. I dont know the extent of damage. the accident happened shabbos morning and the nypd towed the car. it may have been only because of a broken window. anyways, does the car seta have to be replaced just because of the impact?

momto4

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:14 am
I think I once heard that you do but it would depend on the extent of the damage

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:24 am
I heard that you must replace a bicycle helmet after an accident, but don't know for sure about the car seat.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:30 am
I would have said yes from the name of the thread. Now I am not so sure. If it was a minor impact it probably shouldnt be a problem as there was no child affecting the resistance put on it.

However, it is a rule that once in an accident a car seat should be replaced. It might even be covered under your insurance. Ask them.

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 12:27 pm
well, I dont have full coverage. I'm still hoping the other guy has good insurance (I did not get the police report yet) and I was wondering if I sould try to get them to pay for a new car seat.

mamommommy

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 12:32 pm
Anything in/on/from the car that needs to be fixed or replaced due to the accident, should fall under damages from the accident. You'd have to find out exactly what your policy covers, but if you're trying to collect under the other person's policy, then you should definitely list the car seats as part of the damages, including anything else in the car that may have been ruined.

Liba

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:18 pm
It actually depends on the brand of the car seat and the extent of the damage.

My old Britax manual (and calls to the company to confirm) said that the seats need to be replaced if there is an accident which causes structural (not just cosmetic) damage to the car.

At one point they said that you sent them in pictures of the car after accident and the car seat, if they deem the damage extensive enough that the seat needs to be replaced they will replace car seat and destroy the old one.

Every other car seat manufacturer that I have heard of says to replace the car seat after any accident.

Read your manual and call the company if there are any questions.

Hatzlacha!

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:23 pm
Quote:
American Academy of Pediatrics

What if my car safety seat was in a crash?

Do not use seats that have been in a moderate or severe crash. Seats that were in a minor crash may still be safe to use. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) considers a crash minor if all of the following are true:

* The vehicle could be driven away from the crash.
* The vehicle door closest to the car safety seat was not damaged.
* No one in the vehicle was injured.
* The air bags did not go off.
* You can’t see any damage to the car safety seat.
* If you are unsure, call the manufacturer of the seat!

(most insurances do pay for new seats after any accident but may deduct 10% per year that the child was who was using the seat that was involved in the accident)

Last edited by realeez on Sun, Feb 20 2011, 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:43 pm
[quote="realeez"]American Academy of Pediatrics

Do not use seats that have been in a moderate or severe crash. Seats that were in a minor crash may still be safe to use. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) considers a crash minor if all of the following are true:

Actually, this is incorrect - it is impossible to see internal damage to a carseats core structure! Or, it could possibly be weakened and CH"V fail in a more severe accident, having some unseen internal damage. After I was in an accident, the cop made sure to inform me that car seats must ALWAYS be replaced after ANY accident. Carseats should be covered under insurance. And even if not, it's only a small price to pay for your childs safety.

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 6:31 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
realeez wrote:
American Academy of Pediatrics

Actually, this is incorrect - it is impossible to see internal damage to a carseats core structure! Or, it could possibly be weakened and CH"V fail in a more severe accident, having some unseen internal damage. After I was in an accident, the cop made sure to inform me that car seats must ALWAYS be replaced after ANY accident. Carseats should be covered under insurance. And even if not, it's only a small price to pay for your childs safety.

Good point Smile

emama

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:01 pm
There's a wonderful site with tons of info about carseats. You can post your question without joining and someone knowledgable will reply. www.car-seat.org

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:19 pm
I exited the office one day to discover than someone had backed into my car. It could NOT be driven away from the site, because we couldn't open the hood to establish that there was no damage underneath. However, the carseats did not need to be replaced as there was no impact anywhere near them, the airbag was not discharged (yes, only one...I'd be happy with none), and it was obvious from the damage that there would have been no impact to the seats. I asked the police officer who took the report to specifically state this somewhere in the official report, so if it ever became an issue I'd have a record.

nicole81

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 7:31 am
I was in a car accident last week. Granted it was more than a fender bender, but there was no visible damage to the car seats. The insurance company still told us to replace them and they would reimburse us.

I suggest you read your product guide, or inquire with the manufacturer.

Aribenj

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 1:01 pm
You can take it to the fire department. They'll check it for cracks or other defects. But I've always heard you should replace a carseat after a crash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries