Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Changing coins for bills - for free

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:14 pm
TD bank has a machine that will exchange the coins for bills, but they started charging 6%, which is a lot if I'm going to empty a large piggy bank. Where else can I change it for free?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:22 pm
They don't do it in the bank for free? If they do, you can ask them for the things that it gets stored in, those paper things, and do that and then bring it in.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:23 pm
what yo'ma said. The bank does this for free. You need the rolls of paper, though.

im here!

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:27 pm
I count it & take it to the grocery. either I put it on my account as a credit or I ask for bills. groceries need coins.

I also had a few time that I was in a store & heard the saleslady say that they are running short in coins so I would offer to bring mine Smile

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:32 pm
im here! wrote:
I count it & take it to the grocery. either I put it on my account as a credit or I ask for bills. groceries need coins.

This is what I've done, but I use it to pay the bill, not credit Wink . I used to give it to my mom because she has a retail store. I paid my cleaning lady $63 in coins the other day LOL . She wants them because she uses the bus which uses coins.

avimom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 9:31 pm
aren't coinstar machines free? I believe they have machines all over...
Oh- it's a fee for cash but free if you do a gift card. I would just exchange it for amazon.
http://www.coinstar.com/coincounting.aspx

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 12:25 am
yo'ma wrote:
They don't do it in the bank for free? If they do, you can ask them for the things that it gets stored in, those paper things, and do that and then bring it in.

I'm talking about a lot, a LOT of coins. This is a piggy bank that we've been saving up for years and weighs about 65 pounds. There's no way I can sit and roll hundreds of quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies. They need to be counted per roll and then have the account # written on each roll. It will take us days.

The coinstar machine, as well as the others take between 6-9% each, which adds up to over $100 for the amount that we want to change.

And I don't think the grocery will appreciate it either. LOL

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:51 am
It cost money obviously, but maybe less than $100, why don't you invest in those machines that sorts and packages it for you?

avimom

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 8:48 am
is there somethign specific you're saving up for? like I said, coinstar is free to trade for a gift card...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 11:58 am
Use the money as is.

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 12:05 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

I'm talking about a lot, a LOT of coins. This is a piggy bank that we've been saving up for years and weighs about 65 pounds. There's no way I can sit and roll hundreds of quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies. They need to be counted per roll and then have the account # written on each roll. It will take us days.

The coinstar machine, as well as the others take between 6-9% each, which adds up to over $100 for the amount that we want to change.

And I don't think the grocery will appreciate it either. LOL

Do you know anyone who has a laundramat? Most laundramat owners have coin sorting machines (I used to work in one). Also restaurant owners or people who own vending machines.

Do you have a relationship with the bank you do business with? Ask the branch manager if he can help you out one time - with that volume of coins you should be fine.

Or maybe buy an inexpensive coin sorter - you can get under $50 on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/searc.....Cn%3A!1084128%2Cn%3A1069242%2Cn%3A1069376%2Cn%3A1069378%2Cn%3A491004011%2Ck%3Acoin+sorters&sort=reviewrank_authority.

Or just hire your kids to sort and roll into paper dispensers.

Even if a coin sorter costs you $50 and it takes you 8-10 hours of sorting to do the whole thing, the $50 is a good investment and you'll be able to use it again. Or you could sell it on ebay or craigslist.

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 12:07 pm
I know you're not in the city, but maybe you can get there to do it. I did it once at a bank on the corner of 5th Ave and 14th Street. They have a machine, and it's free. You just dump all your coins in there, and get a receipt which you take to the teller in exchange for bills.

farm

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 1:22 pm
open an account at TD Bank or get s/o w/ an account to do it for you so that you aren't charged the 6%

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:59 pm
My husband's friend exchanged it for us at TD bank. Yes, I'd saved it up for something special.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries