Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Blending natural hair with shaitel hair in front
1  2  3  4  5  Next

mommalah

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:05 pm
I've noticed some people with what I thought were really natural looking wigs. Now I am realizing that the reason the hairline looks so natural is because the wig is pushed back a bit and the real hair is what is up front.what's the reasoning behind this? Has anyone asked about this and told it is halachically permissible? This is geared toward yeshivahs posters I guess since I don't think mo would have issue with this.

IloveHashem613

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:29 pm
I'm curious to hear what people have to say as well. I don't see how its permissible though I've never asked a Rav but I do see a lot of people doing it....

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:33 pm
Well, since yeshivish, etc. tend to treat the tefach thing as a bedieved, I assume not done. CYLORebbetzin. But OTOH, if for someone this will make covering hair more palatable, kol hakavod.
I remember - and this was 25 or so years ago - a few weeks before my chasuna meeting a BY teacher of mine somewhere. I was wearing a beret with a lot showing in the front and she wished me mazal tov. I told her I hadn't got married yet and frankly felt offended. I don't remember when it hit me how lovely this mazal tov was - sincere, open, full of simcha for me with no judgment of my leaving this "chup" out. So this isn't for me, or my kids I hope, but I won't be banging the gedolim's doors down to sign a kol koreih.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 4:47 pm
Most of them aren't necessarily "holding" by anything. Covering my hair 100% was easier when I was a newlywed. It even seemed kind of exciting. Now it's generally a drag. It makes me feel ugly on a daily basis. And my hair looks horrible after all these years of covering and that actually makes me feel kid of angry. That I've intentionally ruined my hair. The color is off, the lusrre is gone, my hairline is embarrassing etc.

Sometimes taking out more hair makes me feel less ugly and makes the mitzvah easier to do. Simple as that.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 2:30 pm
I see some yeshivish/modern charedi/modern chassidish women do it.

freidasima

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 2:33 pm
from what I remember from personal experience when I was a child almost everyone who was really frum pulled out a few strands in the front and combed them over the top of the sheitl and used a few bobby pins to keep the hair in place covering the sheitl's hairline. These were certainly not MO women but of the charedi groups which didn't shave or cut their hair very very very short, the hairs that they pulled out were at least two to three inches and it was totally acceptable.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 7:25 pm
freidasima wrote:
from what I remember from personal experience when I was a child almost everyone who was really frum pulled out a few strands in the front and combed them over the top of the sheitl and used a few bobby pins to keep the hair in place covering the sheitl's hairline. These were certainly not MO women but of the charedi groups which didn't shave or cut their hair very very very short, the hairs that they pulled out were at least two to three inches and it was totally acceptable.

I never noticed chareidi women doing this. And totally acceptable? shock I don't believe it.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:04 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
freidasima wrote:

I never noticed chareidi women doing this. And totally acceptable? shock I don't believe it.

All one needs to do is look at pictures of very frum Jews from the 50's and 60's.

mirror

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:09 pm
What does your Rav say? Does your Rav allow this?

I don't know if the question was ever asked...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:24 pm
Just b/c something was done years ago, doesn't mean it's acceptble now. Heck, I grew up with Brillo, you know.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:30 pm
The only people I know who hold by this are those who allow 2 tefachim to show. (or those who don't require a hair covering, just a head covering)

tikva18

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:54 pm
I was taught that it is 100% assur. This happens to be also said in Rabbi Falk's sefer.

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:13 am
There are a lot of things that are in R. Falk's sefer that aren't universal. That being said, if you hold less than a tefach by a tefach, I don't see how it could be mutar.

Mommyme1

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 11:42 am
Would you like to know what Yeshivish women think of this or what Yeshivish poskim hold?
Becuase I'm almost sure you won't find a Yeshivish Rav that allows you to even show a tefach, and as I just heard from a Rav giving a shiur about this - Rav Moshe's psak was that if a tefach is showing a man can still make a bracha, however he did not mean that a woman is allowed to show a tefach.

What women think about it might be a whole 'nuther discussion...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 12:38 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 07 2016, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:02 pm
Mommyme1 wrote:
Would you like to know what Yeshivish women think of this or what Yeshivish poskim hold?
Becuase I'm almost sure you won't find a Yeshivish Rav that allows you to even show a tefach, and as I just heard from a Rav giving a shiur about this - Rav Moshe's psak was that if a tefach is showing a man can still make a bracha, however he did not mean that a woman is allowed to show a tefach.

What women think about it might be a whole 'nuther discussion...

Actually, the infamous tefach teshuva of Rav Moshe was in response to a man who asked if he should marry a woman who said she wanted to leave out a tefach of hair. His response was that if she is a yirei shamayim otherwise then he should certainly marry her. So it is vague, hence you should AYLOR.

I happen to think (after many years of doing this) that it's ugly. It looks fine when it's new, but once the sheitel color changes even slightly, or your hair changes color or texture even slightly, it's very noticeable. It is so much easier and ends up being nicer looking to just cover it all, unless you are going to uncover a lot.

I think once they've been married a while people also evolve past wanting their sheitel to look natural to just wanting it to look good. So people know I'm married and wearing a wig- -who cares?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:04 pm
There are many rabbanim allowing a tefach or more. Smile

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:18 pm
In France. I'm sure. LOL

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:29 pm
Actually those I had in mind, I discovered them online.

As for France, feel free to ask the question and see the various answers on Cheela. BH for Europe.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:39 pm
I pull my hair out in the front and wear headbands back with hair showing. I never asked a rav I just do it because I like how it looks. I'm not considered modern orthodox. I live in Flatbush my husband wears a black hat on Shabbos. Most of my friends wear there hair out too. Its pretty much accepted in my circles and I doubt anyone has asked a rav.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions