Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Emailing Hashem

deself

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 7:28 pm
I find it much easier to talk to people by email than in person. When I really want to talk to a good friend about something that's bothering me, I'll write her a long email, and I have friends who do the same for me. Now when I want to talk to Hashem, I get this itchy desire to type. I'll sit at the keyboard for hours (like tonight), surfing through Imamother or my other emails, kind of "looking for something" (kind of the way we sometimes open all the cupboards and fridge "looking for something"), and not finding it, and I realize that what I'm really looking for is Hashem's email address.
Anyone know what it is?
: )

lollygirl

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 7:31 pm
You can talk to Hashem in any way, shape or form. I always learned that. So even if you're in line at the supermarket, you can talk to Hashem. If writing for you is easier, write out a letter - even if you don't "send" it, Hashem knows and sees it.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 7:54 pm
I really understand about the ease of communicating by expressing yourself totally, in writing, not having immediate back and forth. (Maybe that's not it exactly for you, hope there's some common ground.) Don't you have the same feeling when talking to Hashem, since He doesn't interrupt and provide obviously immediate feedback? (At least not for me.)

momo4

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 8:05 pm
Its actually great therapy too! Just WRITE don't stop, see where it leads you, you'll be amazed at what's hidden inside. people heal a lot from this therapy. You find out inner things that bother you, that you didn't think did. Or why they bother you, etc.......
Happy writing!

superjew

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 8:19 pm
When you find it , please pass it on to me! Wink
On a serious note though, you should totally write to Hashem!! I do it all the time. I love writing & sometimes its just to myself (journal) & sometimes its to God. You can write anything you want to & if its truly private just throw it out when your done!
Let it out! The paper is waiting! Write/Type your heart out.

deself

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 5:57 am
For sure part of the issue is that I express myself better in writing than in speech. But part of it is that when I'm emailing, I have a sense of these other people out there in the universe that I'm connected to in some real but not-in-person kind of way. It's a bit like when the phone rings and you know who's calling before you pick up. You get this feeling of connection....
Obviously, I can feel connected to Hashem that way by talking to Him, or by writing to Him in a notebook or on loose paper. But by now, I feel that sort of connection start up so automatically when I open my email program that whenever I'm hankering for a feeling of connection, I automatically gravitate to my computer! So when I want to feel connected to Hashem, I end up staring at my computer, as if there were a program in there that I could write to Hashem on!
I suppose I could write a letter in Word, but then what? File it in some directory? I miss the satisfaction of hitting the Send button and knowing that my letter is on the way.
Yes, this is all quite stupid, but it's not stupider than a lot of other normal things we women get hung up about. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way, and if anyone has any way to replicate that "Send" satisfaction in informal, impromptu davening. (Shacharis and such are not the issue.)
D.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:05 am
Funny, I was just reading the Lakewood Voice (you can get it online) and the last two letters were about talking to Hashem. I thought I might mention this on another thread but I will here too. The key is to open the lines of communication and if this is what you need to do to make a connection, go for it.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:09 am
Hashem is reading the emails in this thread too, you know. After or while you write to Hashem, maybe read or whisper it out loud so that it is a spoken tefilla.

When the tefilos and piyutim and zemiros and Tehillim in the siddur were written down, someone wrote it out to Hashem, right?

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:15 am
Write the email, using the address Hashem@Shamayim.com

It'll bounce back, but if you need the satisfaction of hitting "send", send it to a non existent email address.

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 10:36 am
I actually created an email so you can send it.

Hashemlistens@gmail.com

It wont be checked so anyone & everyone can email it there!
I think I might start Smile

deself

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:48 pm
Hey Superjew, how do you know it won't be checked? But if it really can't be checked, then it is a wonderful idea. Post the address all over and let's see how fast it overflows. My bet - 1 week.
D.

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 1:56 pm
I'm the one who created & I made up a random password. I don't remember it & will NOT check it.
Anyone wants to spread it, go ahead. Smile

elle81

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 2:56 pm
hahahhaaa superjew thats a fantastic idea! well done! I once hrd that by the tsiun of the lubavitcher rebbe there is faxmachine so ppl can send there tefilos, kvitlech there... Very Happy

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 3:34 pm
superjew wrote:
I actually created an email so you can send it.

Hashemlistens@gmail.com

It wont be checked so anyone & everyone can email it there!
I think I might start Smile

LOL

OP, why don't you do the same and open up your own H-mail to Hashem on Gmail? Or send it to: Hashem@MyEmail.com (your own email address). This way you'll be assured that it'll stay indoors.

Better yet, print it out and stick it into your siddur and read it at the end of Shemone Esreh.

deself

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 4:51 am
Besyatta Dishmaya, I like your "print and attach to davening" idea. It's kind of like sending an attachment by email, actually. Before you step backwards at the end of Shemone Esrei, you can mentally attach the contents of that letter to the tail of your tefillos as they ride upwards.
Now I have to get my printer fixed.
: )
Any more creative ideas?
And does anyone else suffer from a typing urge when they have an issue?
D.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics