Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Keeps Scratching Ears

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:43 am
My baby is constantly scratching her ears. The inside of her ear is covered with scratches and scabs. Any idea why she's doing this/how to make her stop?

There doesn't seem to be any earwax in the canal, and she doesn't seem to have an ear infection.

I would understand if she just liked pulling on her ears for entertainment, but why scratch?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:53 pm
Have you had her checked out by a dr? If it's not ear-related, can it be eczema?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:17 pm
Is teething a possiblity? My kids tended to pull on their ears while they were teething. They never pulled them while they had ear infections, though. Ear infections hurt and make kids not want to touch their ears.

CherryBerry

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:20 pm
Get her seen by a dr. to rule out an ear infection.
When my baby starts scratching her ears I know its an ear infection.
in fact my first symptom is seeing scratch marks by her ears.

and even if she doesnt seem otherwise sick, it could still be an ear infection.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:21 pm
How old is the baby? Mine has been doing that since she's a newborn, apparently just because she doesn't know how to aim her hands. She would do it more when tired or agitated. Now that she learned how to stick them in her mouth she gets fewer scratches all over though still some. We dealt with the problem by keeping socks over her hands almost all the time until she learned better control.

Avrahamamma

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 2:28 pm
did you check behind her ears. maybe there's ecxema back there

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:07 pm
I don't see any eczema. She is 11 months old kah and had been scratching, on and off, for the last few months so I'd assume that rules out ear infection. Correct?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:08 pm
She may be teething though.

drumjj

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:42 am
no she could have fluid in her ears that is bothering her.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 10:58 pm
ear infections that can be painful make it seem likely that the baby will not want to touch his ears...Maybe it's fluid or pressure...

yaeli83

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 11:08 pm
my baby does the same thing. she has been checked for an ear infection, when she was sick (not because of the ear pulling) and did not have one.

I know what you mean though, my baby seems perfectly happy when she does it. its more like a "picking" then a tugging.

Someone suggested to me to get her checked for allergies. But I noticed that she pays attention when I clean her ears with a q tip and I think she just likes the feeling and is imitating.

But maybe the allergy checking is not a bad idea. They could be itching from an allergy.

prestige

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 11:15 am
my 4 month old is doing the same thing, tugging her ears... iw ent to the Dr and she has no ear infection and no fluid... the Dr said its a habit, just like taking the finger or anything else...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics