Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ratzon
1  2  Next

yehudis

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 3:38 pm
Since this came in several threads, let's define ratzon. Here's Rabbi Akiva Tatz' description of it in his book Living Inspired (chapter 9):

Quote:

Just as the body has its root in the neshama (soul), so too the inner wisdom has a higher root. This root of wisdom is ratzon, desire. In this source lies the origin of all inner life. The outer mind can never initiate, it can only respond. the inner mind is all initiative, and its own beginning is desire...

No thought or action can be traced more deeply than to this point; no cause can ever be defined which underlies it; it is the root cause, the deepest source of all outflow in the mind and neshama. In fact, if one can generate the ruthless honesty required for this exercise, when one traces one's motivation down to the underlying desire which subsumes all the more superficial desires, that one all-encompassing desire is an accurate definition of who one is essentially...

Not only is this area of ratzon the root of the personality; in a certain sense it is the entire personality: once an active desire exists all else in the personality is no more than machinery, mechanisms for implementing that desire...

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 5:05 pm
Chasidus explains that we have kochos pnimiyim (inner powers) and kochos makifim (encompassing powers). Our ten inner soul powers consist of the intellectual powers of ChaBaD (chochma, bina, daas) and the 7 emotive powers (chesed, gevura, tiferes, etc.)

the kochos makifim are ratzon (will) and taanug (delight)

here's an article on it:

http://www.chabadonline.com/sc.....=2980

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 7:59 pm
Rabbi Tatz is one of my favorite speakers/ writers

if anybody wants to get me a gift..... Wink
(I have Living Inspired )

yehudis

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 1:39 am
ForeverYoung wrote:

Me too. BTW, he has lots of lectures online.

Quote:

if anybody wants to get me a gift..... Wink
(I have Living Inspired )

And I think I know who gave it to you Smile. If that's the same person who gave it to me (remember?)

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 4:10 am
FY - do you have Worldmask? Maybe I'll get it for you, if you're really nice to me. Wink

Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 6:54 am
Quote:
ForeverYoung wrote:

we had the honour of having him speak at a seminar we organised last December, together with Rav Tauber and Rav Neugershtein (I hope I got his name right embarrassed ).
I never heard Rav Tatz speak be4, and I must say - he's a wonderful speaker. I must get one of his books.
Which do you recommend?

yehudis, thanks for your post!

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 8:50 am
All his books are great. Living Inspired is very inspiring Smile but I found Worldmask easier to follow. Anatomy of a Search is the most story and least philosophical.

Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 9:11 am
thanks, sarahd!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 12:09 pm
no, I don't have worlmask!!

Yehudis, where r the on-line lectures?

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 12:43 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
no, I don't have worlmask!!

Now you just have to be nice to me... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 12:45 pm
my kids know your & your husband's names!!
they really like looking at your wedding pic!!!!

we quote u often

u r one of the best teachers I ever had.

am I good enough?

yehudis

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 2:58 pm
LOL

FY, I think sarahd is also responsible for many things we say here. Well, the ones we get right anyways Smile.

(I have Worldmask, so this is purely altruistic Smile.)

Tefila

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:12 pm
Quote:
Our ten inner soul powers consist of the intellectual powers of ChaBaD (chochma, bina, daas) and the 7 emotive powers (chesed, gevura, tiferes, etc.)

the kochos makifim are ratzon (will) and taanug (delight)

Very Happy Wink

yehudis

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:16 pm
Rabbi Tatz's classes online:

http://www.613.org/tatz/tz.html

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:44 pm
Quote:
No thought or action can be traced more deeply than to this point;

ratzon and taanug are kochos not etzem-essence

and acting with mesirus nefesh comes from something deeper than the point of ratzon, from the point of etzem

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:47 pm
etzem haneshama is the only essence of a person, it is the absolutely deepest etzem, you cant get more etzem because really the etzem haneshama is not down here but still up there. (Maamar "Vi'ata Titzaveh")

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:48 pm
but I think what chassidus terms as "essence" and what other mean as "essence" must be different... Confused

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 3:54 pm
yehudis wrote:
LOL

FY, I think sarahd is also responsible for many things we say here. Well, the ones we get right anyways Smile.

(I have Worldmask, so this is purely altruistic Smile.)

Yep, I should give her credit for my better posts Wink

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 4:02 pm
Quote:
but I think what chassidus terms as "essence" and what other mean as "essence" must be different...

reminds me - ever wonder whether what I think is green and you think is green is the same thing?

maybe my green is your purple? Wink

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 4:08 pm
FY - your book is on the way.... LOL (not literally, but in my mind it's as good as done, b"n). Yehudis, you deserve something too, for those lovely compliments. embarrassed
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics