Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yashan help - Bloom's Pretzel Rods

realeez

Post Sat, Mar 05 2011, 10:02 pm
Does anyone know the Yashan status of Bloom's pretzel rods? I would like to include them in my SM but some friends are makpid on Yashan. TIA!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Mar 05 2011, 11:01 pm
In general, pretzels aren't really an issue. But I'll check the guide if there is more detailed information.

realeez

Post Sat, Mar 05 2011, 11:10 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
In general, pretzels aren't really an issue. But I'll check the guide if there is more detailed information.

That's what I thought I was reading on an online guide - but I thought by this point it was more wishful thinking lol!

BTW, did u ever hear of "yashan keilim?" Someone asked me to make something for a simcha but specified that the baking sheets couldn't have been used for 24 hours for hot keilim and neither I nor anyone I know had ever heard of that one before!

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 12:48 am
IIRC "the" yoshon guide says regular pretzels are assumed to be yashan because they are always made with winter wheat. But at this time of year maybe you need to be concerned about malt content as well? Don't remember. Last I checked was before malt season.

But I have NEVER heard any chumra about yashan keilim. Sounds way extreme to me. I mean, there's nothing treif about chodosh, it's just about not eating it. So if you wash your utensils then they won't be eating chodosh. But whatever, there are enough people who think I'm extreme for being makpid on yoshon altogether so I'm not about to start knocking other people's chumras!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 10:49 am
This is what the current version (March 2011) of the Yoshon Guide says about pretzels (it does not mention anything about Blooms specifically):
"Crunchy pretzels that break easily and are not made with whole wheat flour, are from winter wheat. If they contain malt, then they may be Chodosh after a packing date of Dec 15, or a
purchase date of Jan 15. Chewy soft pretzels are
from spring wheat and are probably Chodosh if
produced after Aug 9. Pretzels from whole wheat
flour such as “honey wheat” pretzels may use either winter or spring wheat flour. They may also be Chodosh after a packing date of Aug 9. We have no codes for any brands of such pretzels."

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 11:49 am
OP, it is very considerate of you to think of this when preparing your MM!

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 6:39 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
This is what the current version (March 2011) of the Yoshon Guide says about pretzels (it does not mention anything about Blooms specifically):
"Crunchy pretzels that break easily and are not made with whole wheat flour, are from winter wheat. If they contain malt, then they may be Chodosh after a packing date of Dec 15, or a
purchase date of Jan 15. Chewy soft pretzels are
from spring wheat and are probably Chodosh if
produced after Aug 9. Pretzels from whole wheat
flour such as “honey wheat” pretzels may use either winter or spring wheat flour. They may also be Chodosh after a packing date of Aug 9. We have no codes for any brands of such pretzels."

There is no date on the pkg - only 4 letters... I guess I better call the company!

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 6:41 pm
seeker wrote:
OP, it is very considerate of you to think of this when preparing your MM!

Thank you! I'm used to it for shul functions when I've become the official bilkah maker since there is a kosher store that sells yashan! The pretzels threw me off though!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 9:11 pm
Do they contain malt?

BTW...Not everyone is makpid on malt.
And about the keilim, why does it sound extreme? Some people hold of yoshon as halacha, not just a chumra, and keilim are a real shaila. There are some who are makpid on CY as halacha, and also are makpid on keilim. Where is the extremeness? Just because you may not hold of something does not mean it's not coming from a pure place.

We hold not eating chodosh is halacha. It's not a matter of being machmir.

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 9:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Do they contain malt?

BTW...Not everyone is makpid on malt.
And about the keilim, why does it sound extreme? Some people hold of yoshon as halacha, not just a chumra, and keilim are a real shaila. There are some who are makpid on CY as halacha, and also are makpid on keilim. Where is the extremeness? Just because you may not hold of something does not mean it's not coming from a pure place.

We hold not eating chodosh is halacha. It's not a matter of being machmir.

Yes, it contains malt.

So just to understand, HY - would you not eat off of chadash kailim? Is that common?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 9:39 pm
I'm not sure it has ever come up, to be honest. I do remember having asked once about some type of restaurant food which was made at the same time as something chodosh, and so we didn't eat it. But that might be different than the ben yomo rule.

(We don't really eat out or get food from others....)

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 9:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not sure it has ever come up, to be honest. I do remember having asked once about some type of restaurant food which was made at the same time as something chodosh, and so we didn't eat it. But that might be different than the ben yomo rule.

(We don't really eat out or get food from others....)

Thanks for explaining Smile Sorry to get personal!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen